or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good walkable road shoe (SPD)

post #1 of 20
I'm in search of a good pair of road shoes...they need to have a firm sole
and obviously a recessed cleat for walkability. I'd like the velcro straps
too.

I just tried a pair of SIDI Genius 5 shoes (nice shoes). I don't like
walking in those one bit, even though the price wasn't too bad....

Thanks.
post #2 of 20

Re: Good walkable road shoe (SPD)

rdclark <rdclark2@comcast.net> wrote:
:> Roger Zoul wrote:
:>> I'm in search of a good pair of road shoes...they need to have a
:>> firm sole and obviously a recessed cleat for walkability. I'd like
:>> the velcro straps too.
:>
:> I may be wrong, but I think that's an oxymoron: a road shoe by
:> definition does not have a recessed cleat.

You may be right, as most of what I've been finding seems to agree with you.

:>
:> Recently looking for something more like a touring shoe, SPD
:> compatible
:> but comfortable for extended walking, I got a pair of these (on sale
:> for $45):
:>
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=2120#
:>
:> Very comfortable and sort of normal-looking, and the cleat-plate
:> cover
:> bolts on (rather than being a cutout, as on many MTB shoes) so you
:> can
:> remove the cleats and restore the sole easily if you want to.
:>

Yeah....I found these touring shoes:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...cfm?sku=16767#

but I'm concerned about how stiff the sole is. I have problems with
"hot-foot" in summer once the distances start getting up there. My current
shoes are a cross between these and the ones you have, in a sense, as they
are lace up but have flat soles. They are just a little too flexible and
hence don't protect those nerves well near the ball of feet. I don't want
to go to bigger platform pedals.

How firm do you judge the sole of your shoes to be?
post #3 of 20

Re: Good walkable road shoe (SPD)

jj <jet@jetnet.com> wrote:
:> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:11:55 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
:> <rogerzoul2@hotmail.com> wrote:
:>
:>>I'm in search of a good pair of road shoes...they need to have a
:>>firm sole and obviously a recessed cleat for walkability. I'd like
:>>the velcro straps too.
:>>
:>>I just tried a pair of SIDI Genius 5 shoes (nice shoes). I don't
:>>like walking in those one bit, even though the price wasn't too
:>>bad....
:>>
:>>Thanks.
:>
:> These rule. Look good too. I walk around on them and drive in them no
:> problems.
:>
:>
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2120

Thanks for the rec....do the lugs bother you when clipping in? They don't
say SPD, but I assume they are...

:>
:> Have you investigated bibs, yet? They're on sale (in store $39).
:> These are -great-, excellent chamois, imo:
:>
:> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...cfm?SKU=19894#

Honestly, these seem scary to me. Bibs....aren't those for babies?
post #4 of 20

wrote:

>I'm in search of a good pair of road shoes...they need to have a firm sole
>and obviously a recessed cleat for walkability. I'd like the velcro straps
>too.
>
>I just tried a pair of SIDI Genius 5 shoes (nice shoes). I don't like
>walking in those one bit, even though the price wasn't too bad....
>
>Thanks.

These rule. Look good too. I walk around on them and drive in them no
problems.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2120

Have you investigated bibs, yet? They're on sale (in store $39). These are
-great-, excellent chamois, imo:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...cfm?SKU=19894#

jj
post #5 of 20

Re: Good walkable road shoe (SPD)

If you like SIDI- why not try the dominators? They are the same shell
as the Genius as far as I can tell and have lugs on the soles which
make walking in them a lot easier.
post #6 of 20

On 29 Aug 2005 07:28:58 -0700, "rdclark" <rdclark2@comcast.net> wrote:

>jj wrote:
>
>> Have you investigated bibs, yet? They're on sale (in store $39). These are
>> -great-, excellent chamois, imo:
>>
>> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...cfm?SKU=19894#

>Excellent bibs, a real bargain. Are you sure the $39 ones aren't the
>"Lite" version?
>
>I only wish they wouldn't keep re-designing these. I have five pair of
>these, and they have three different chamois designs (and the oldest
>ones are the best).
>
>RichC

The pad inside is white and greenish-blue. Bought one size smaller yrstdy,
amazed they fit; didn't last month! (yay).

jj
post #7 of 20

Re: Good walkable road shoe (SPD)

For walkability and a recessed cleat you have to stick with "mountain"
shoes.

I don't think you can beat the cheaper and mid-range Shimano shoes like
the MO-38. They have a unique clog style rocker toe that makes them
really comfortable to walk in. The tread is usable in the mud and you
don't have to walk on gnarly lugs like many MTB shoes. I have the older
MO-37s and these are my every day commuter shoes. The strap on these
shoes is only useful for keeping the laces out of the way. The cheapest
Shimano models only have a plain nylon last but the MO-38s have a
fiberglass filled nylon that improves the stiffness. The only flaw with
the cheaper Shimano shoes is the cheap, flat, die-cut footbed they use.
I would replace them with a better, molded footbed like the Specialized
body geometry.

None of the high zoot shoes are going to have the best walkability. The
lasts are stiffer, with the carbon ones being completely inflexible.
The treads tend to be minimalistic and/or heavily lugged. I picked up
some MO-225s when they came out last year and they are nice but not as
walkable. These need the toe spikes removed to have any walkability
(shame on Shimano for not providing any filler bolts) but they are
still a bit clunky. The straps are nice but I have a foot with a small
cross section so I run out of adjustment on them and can't get the
ratchet as tight as I would like all the time. I prefer the laced shoes
despite the extra hassle since I get well controlled tension everywhere
along the foot.

The fiberglass fill used in the last of the MO-37 makes these shoes
plenty stiff for me and I only noticed the flexibity on 100+ mile rides
which I now use the 225s for. Even then it was only a minor sense of
"sloppiness" in the shoe and not as significant a loss of power as with
SPD sandals. This is using eggbeater pedals which have less fore-aft
support than SPDs so your experience may be better.
post #8 of 20

Re: Good walkable road shoe (SPD)

In article <1125343443.355279.295700@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
amakyonin <amakyonin-u1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>For walkability and a recessed cleat you have to stick with "mountain"
>shoes.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont....html#FAQ_0005

5. Does Shimano make a road shoe that is SPD compatible?

Yes, the T092 is a sport touring/fitness shoe that utilizes SPD bolt
pattern for the cleat and has a recessed cleat area with a smooth
rubber sole for walking.
post #9 of 20

"C" <caspam@doj.ca.gov> wrote in message news:devs0g$8uq$1@blue.rahul.net...

> http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont....html#FAQ_0005
>
> 5. Does Shimano make a road shoe that is SPD compatible?
>
> Yes, the T092 is a sport touring/fitness shoe that utilizes SPD bolt
> pattern for the cleat and has a recessed cleat area with a smooth
> rubber sole for walking.

So what makes it a road shoe, other than that in some sense all cycling
shoes are? I'm sorry, Shimano, but it doesn't quack like a duck.

RichC
post #10 of 20

"Roger Zoul" <rogerzoul2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> rdclark <rdclark2@comcast.net> wrote:
> :> Roger Zoul wrote:
> :>> I'm in search of a good pair of road shoes...they need to have a
> :>> firm sole and obviously a recessed cleat for walkability. I'd like
> :>> the velcro straps too.
> :>
> :> I may be wrong, but I think that's an oxymoron: a road shoe by
> :> definition does not have a recessed cleat.
>
> You may be right, as most of what I've been finding seems to agree with
> you.
>
> :>
> :> Recently looking for something more like a touring shoe, SPD
> :> compatible
> :> but comfortable for extended walking, I got a pair of these (on sale
> :> for $45):
> :>
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=2120#
> :>
> :> Very comfortable and sort of normal-looking, and the cleat-plate
> :> cover
> :> bolts on (rather than being a cutout, as on many MTB shoes) so you
> :> can
> :> remove the cleats and restore the sole easily if you want to.
> :>
>
> Yeah....I found these touring shoes:
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...cfm?sku=16767#
>
> but I'm concerned about how stiff the sole is. I have problems with
> "hot-foot" in summer once the distances start getting up there. My
> current shoes are a cross between these and the ones you have, in a sense,
> as they are lace up but have flat soles. They are just a little too
> flexible and hence don't protect those nerves well near the ball of feet.
> I don't want to go to bigger platform pedals.
>
> How firm do you judge the sole of your shoes to be?

I have the Shimanos and I wouldn't want to walk very far in them. The cleat
is very recessed so that's not a problem, but they're a very "roadie" shoe.
Toes up and all that. It's a great shoe, and one of the few touring shoes on
the market. All the touring shoes I've seen lately have been pretty much
road shoes with a grippier sole. Have you looked at Cannondale's MTB shoes?
They look pretty much like off road running shoes.
post #11 of 20

Re: Good walkable road shoe (SPD)

In article <ybOdnddzneTr5I7eRVn-pQ@comcast.com>,
Rich Clark <rdclark2SPAM@TRAPcomcast.net> wrote:
>So what makes it a road shoe, other than that in some sense all cycling
>shoes are? I'm sorry, Shimano, but it doesn't quack like a duck.

Their definition is a stiff-soled SPD-compatible cycling shoe without
the heavy/bulky lugs of a MTB shoe. Whether or not you agree with this
definition, I think there is a demand for this type of product, so they
may as well make them.
post #12 of 20

Re: Good walkable road shoe (SPD)

rdclark wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::
::: but I'm concerned about how stiff the sole is. I have problems with
::: "hot-foot" in summer once the distances start getting up there. My
::: current shoes are a cross between these and the ones you have, in a
::: sense, as they are lace up but have flat soles. They are just a
::: little too flexible and hence don't protect those nerves well near
::: the ball of feet. I don't want to go to bigger platform pedals.
:::
::: How firm do you judge the sole of your shoes to be?
::
:: Walking on boards is no fun either.

Yes, that is exactly why I sent the SIDI's back.

You're going to have to figure
:: out where the line is between "flexible enough to walk in" and "stiff
:: enough for riding." Obviously, for me these Cannondales fit the bill,
:: as did the shoes they replaced, a pair of Specialized Rockhopper
:: Pro's from 2000 or so.

Yes, again you're absolutely right...the problem for me is, it seems I'm
going ot have to spend money to do it. This seems to be a very YMMV kind of
thing.

::
:: If you can't find a shoe that walks that line (sorry), you may also
:: need to revisit the pedals. SPDs that spread the pressure over a
:: larger area are the usual answer to hot-spot problems. Even
:: something like these -
::
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=5240#
:: - might be enough.

Well, I do have a pair of (Wellgo??) pedals that are SPDs mounted in a wide
platform....I just hate to put them on the bike as they *look* as if they'd
be hard to deal with. I've gotten used to my SPDs that came with my bike.
Also, yesterday, I was at the LBS and I mentioned the problem to them..and
they showed me a pair of Look (I think) pedals. The large platform would
certainly solve my hotfoot problem but then I have hell walking around (not
that I do that much walking, but still).

I can't tell from the photo at the link you provided how much larger the
area of those pedals is compared to mine. I will keep those in mind if I
decided not to keep the new shoes I ordered last night. (MTB, Specialized
Comp 05).
post #13 of 20

::::: Roger Zoul wrote:
:::::: I'm in search of a good pair of road shoes...they need to have a
:::::: firm sole and obviously a recessed cleat for walkability. I'd
:::::: like the velcro straps too.
:::::
[...]

How does "toes up" play into it? I didn't realize that roadie shoes had that
feature. Does that make them uncorfortable? Those Shimanos are not unlike
the ones I have, which is why i'm afraid to try them - I might end up with
the same issues.

It's a great shoe, and one
:: of the few touring shoes on the market. All the touring shoes I've
:: seen lately have been pretty much road shoes with a grippier sole.
:: Have you looked at Cannondale's MTB shoes? They look pretty much
:: like off road running shoes.

No, but I'm going to try some MTB shoes. I just want something that I can
walk a ways in that has a stiffer sole than the ones I have now. It may be
that I'll end up having to go to a wider platform pedal as RichC suggested,
though.
post #14 of 20

C wrote:

> Their definition is a stiff-soled SPD-compatible cycling shoe without the heavy/bulky lugs of a MTB shoe.

That's exactly what they are.

> Whether or not you agree with this definition, I think there is a demand for this type of product, so they may as well make them.

I agree. I'm surprised that the T092s aren't more widely available or
promoted. They definitely fill a niche for road riders that need road
style shoes that are efficient, but don't make you walk like a duck.

http://penncycle.com/site/itemdetail...351&Catalog=39

Art Harris
post #15 of 20

Re: Good walkable road shoe (SPD)

I'll tell you the best one available, which is actually MADE with
walking in mind, and is SPD compatible. The shoe is made so that their
is actually 1/8" clearance from the cleat to the floor when walking.
Lake makes it, The former model which is on close out at Nashbar, is the
CX115.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

I believe Lake has an updated model, but the number escapes me. I have
this shoe and can say it is very comfortable and clips in easier than
any other shoe I have yet tried with clipless pedals (I have CB
"EggBeaters").

If you have a large platform around your clip, however, like some of the
larger MTB pedals have, this shoe may not work as well.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner