Change of Address

DC1999

Guest
It appears that Google (which seems to own this group) does not permit
change of address away from a gmail.com address. For years, I
received summaries/digests of this group's messages on an Earthlink
account, and now I'd like to change that to a cox.net account.
Nowhere does Google seem to permit that, at least that I can find.

I've explored using some other method to read this and other
newsgroups, but none of them are satisfactory. For example, Mozilla
has Thunderbird email which includes a newsreader, but it requires
installation of new software and I'm satisfied with Mac's Mail on two
computers.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

BTW, while I have a gmail account, I do not use it for anything. If
you would like to send me pvt email, try dc1999 at cox dot net.

Thanks.

Dave

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:28:48 -0700, DC1999 wrote:

> It appears that Google (which seems to own this group)

No, it doesn't - it just gives you a slow, cumbersome way to
read and post to it. This is a usenet group. Get a newsreader.

DC1999 wrote:
> It appears that Google (which seems to own this group) does not permit
> change of address away from a gmail.com address. For years, I
> received summaries/digests of this group's messages on an Earthlink
> account, and now I'd like to change that to a cox.net account.
> Nowhere does Google seem to permit that, at least that I can find.
>
> I've explored using some other method to read this and other
> newsgroups, but none of them are satisfactory. For example, Mozilla
> has Thunderbird email which includes a newsreader, but it requires
> installation of new software and I'm satisfied with Mac's Mail on two
> computers.

Looks like you are stuck, then. I have to wonder, if it works well,
what's one more piece of software? The rule I use is to "use the right
tool for the job."

catzz66 wrote:
> DC1999 wrote:
>> It appears that Google (which seems to own this group) does not permit
>> change of address away from a gmail.com address. For years, I
>> received summaries/digests of this group's messages on an Earthlink
>> account, and now I'd like to change that to a cox.net account.
>> Nowhere does Google seem to permit that, at least that I can find.
>>
>> I've explored using some other method to read this and other
>> newsgroups, but none of them are satisfactory. For example, Mozilla
>> has Thunderbird email which includes a newsreader, but it requires
>> installation of new software and I'm satisfied with Mac's Mail on two
>> computers.

as a fellow mac user i would suggest you install thunderbird
you can use it JUST for a newsreader and still use mail for email.
it is also an excellent RSS reader which safari is not
Steve

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 06:11:18 -0500, catzz66 wrote:

> Looks like you are stuck, then. I have to wonder, if it works well,
> what's one more piece of software? The rule I use is to "use the right
> tool for the job."

Yup. That means a real newsreader for USENET. I use pan, since I'm in a
graphical environment. When I'm in a text-mode environment, I use slrn.

slrn will use your favorite text editor by default; pan will let you
invoke it with a command. Pretty handy if you're fussy enough to have a
preference in text editors. (I like vim).

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com