Gear/Cog Change for Climbing

VicDewey

Jul 26, 2011
I have an old steel Bianchi Alfana with Campi Avanti components. it is set up with a 30/40/50 Triple crankset and a 13-26, 8 cog set. I live in Colorado and do a fair amount of climbing and can hang and hammer with all my carbon fiber friends, however when we climb, I get dropped like a rock above 4-5% grades. I was looking for some recommendations on changing the rear cog set to aid in climbing. Thanks!

BTW - I know I need a new bike and I planing getting one this winter, but I am looking for a short term fix.

I feel your pain bro but it sounds like you just need to train more in the mountains. I am trying to fix a simular problem however mine is magnified X10. I have an old steel bike with Campy but am stuck with 52/39 in front and 12-24 in back. Not trying to insult your fitness but your lowest combo (30 / 26) should get you up any hill including 10-15% grades. If you buy a new road bike it probably won't even have a triple front option unless you decide to purchase a touring or cyclocross machine. Just keep heading to the hills and practice using your 40 chain ring on the hills,,,,you will get stronger and stronger. The reason you are getting dropped is probably because those low gears, despite making it easier, keep you at a very slow mph.

I'm not an expert but everyone keeps going on about high cadence like it's a good thing. I guess it must be!

I have 11-32 cassettes on both my flatbar and road bikes (8/10 speed resp., both SRAM). I would otherwise have to walk my bike up the hill.

VicDewey, your bike has way more than enough gear for a 4-5% grade. For most club riders and racers a 5% grade is doable in the 50 or 53 tooth big ring. Plenty of fit cyclists can climb 10-15% grades in 34x25 or 39x28s. I would almost guess that you are downshifting too far and simply don't have the gear inches and or cadence to keep up with guys spinning a higher gear.