How to do a Track Stand

javawizard

Guest
Next time you are waiting at a red light, you may want to begin
practicing a technique called the track stand. As you come to a stop,
but before putting a foot on the ground, turn your front wheel about
70 or 80 degrees to the right or left. If your bike is not facing
uphill, turn the front wheel facing uphill. This means that your wheel
will probably be turned to the left, since most often, the road curves
uphill toward the centerline, so that rainwater will run off. Keep
steady pressure on one of the pedals, but balance the tendency to roll
backward, downhill. With practice, you will find that you can come to
a stop and never have to put a foot on the ground. You will be able to
rock slightly back and forth, balancing between rolling back and
pushing forward. This trick is used extensively by road racers who
want their toe clips so tight that removing a foot would be difficult.
For the mountain biker, it helps develop fine control of the bike at
slow speeds, such as when riding along a narrow cliff. - from www.odd-info.com

Toe Clips? we ain't got no toe clips, we don't need no toe clips, we
don't have to show you any stinking toe clips

Why not start with a track bike and then you wouldn't need to try to
figure which roads have a crown - you could just pedal backwards when
you wanted to move the bike back. Do fixies wear toe clips? I
thought that their feet more or less grew to fit.
Maybe there is a relationship between calling it a track stand and
using a track bike to do it, or at least learn it.

If I can do it on my 'bent is it considered a track sit?

"javawizard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Next time you are waiting at a red light, you may want to begin
> practicing a technique called the track stand.

My suggestion is to master the technique before you try it at the next red
light.

On Sep 21, 1:38 am, "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "javawizard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Next time you are waiting at a red light, you may want to begin
> > practicing a technique called the track stand.

> My suggestion is to master the technique before you try it at the next red
> light.

That's what I was thinking. Downtown at 8AM is probably not a good
time to practice.

"Jorg Lueke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sep 21, 1:38 am, "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "javawizard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> > Next time you are waiting at a red light, you may want to begin
>> > practicing a technique called the track stand.

>> My suggestion is to master the technique before you try it at the next
>> red
>> light.

> That's what I was thinking. Downtown at 8AM is probably not a good
> time to practice.

I pretend I am sitting on an egg to get the right balance and sensitivity
otherwise the movement and center of balance is not right.

smn wrote:

> I pretend I am sitting on an egg to get the right balance and sensitivity
> otherwise the movement and center of balance is not right.

Last Sunday afternoon, I demonstrated to myself how NOT to do a track
stand. I determined that I need a little more practice.

On Sep 26, 3:01 am, "smn" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Jorg Lueke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > On Sep 21, 1:38 am, "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "javawizard" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> My suggestion is to master the technique before you try it at the next
> >> red
> >> light.

> > That's what I was thinking. Downtown at 8AM is probably not a good
> > time to practice.

> I pretend I am sitting on an egg to get the right balance and sensitivity
> otherwise the movement and center of balance is not right.

Is that when you are standing? Not sure I follow you.