click click click

greggery peccary

Guest
Hi RBM, even the LBS cant help me with this because they dont believe it
isnt the end of the cable hitting my foot. it's not. im sure of it, but im
increasingly having a loud clicking sound about once per crank revolution
and only under load (so i cant test it on the stand). i cant really tell if
it's the chain or the cassette. any thoughts?
-alan

In article <[email protected]>,
"greggery peccary" <.@.> writes:
> Hi RBM, even the LBS cant help me with this because they dont believe it
> isnt the end of the cable hitting my foot. it's not. im sure of it, but im
> increasingly having a loud clicking sound about once per crank revolution
> and only under load (so i cant test it on the stand). i cant really tell if
> it's the chain or the cassette. any thoughts?

The last time I had anything like that, it was my computer's
cadence magnet on the crank hitting the pickup/transducer thingie.

cheers,
Tom
--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

greggery peccary wrote:
> Hi RBM, even the LBS cant help me with this because they dont believe
> it isnt the end of the cable hitting my foot. it's not. im sure of
> it, but im increasingly having a loud clicking sound about once per
> crank revolution and only under load (so i cant test it on the
> stand). i cant really tell if it's the chain or the cassette. any
> thoughts? -alan

Bottom bracket, chainring bolt, crank bolt, cracked cleat...?

"greggery peccary" <.@.> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hi RBM, even the LBS cant help me with this because they dont
> believe it isnt the end of the cable hitting my foot. it's not. im
> sure of it, but im increasingly having a loud clicking sound about
> once per crank revolution and only under load (so i cant test it
> on the stand). i cant really tell if it's the chain or the
> cassette. any thoughts? -alan

Tighten your pedal spindles in the crankarms.

--
Mike Nitabach

I've been getting the same thing on my MTB. but only under load and only
in the center ring. It's a new ring and new chain (they are correctly
matched). I've checked the ring for chipped teeth (none) and the
chainring bolts (they're all tight).

Since it's only while i'm in the center ring, I've ruled out the pedals,
cleats, spindle and bearings, as these are all used while I'm in the
other rings as well.

I've finally come to the conclusion that one of the shift pins must be
contacting the chain or something equally silly, and therefore it's
nothing ore than a harmless annoyance. Something similar might be what's
happening in your case too.

Use the process of elimination and check everything involved in the
crank, pedals (including shoes and cleats) and BB.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "greggery peccary" <.@.> writes:
> > Hi RBM, even the LBS cant help me with this because they dont believe it
> > isnt the end of the cable hitting my foot. it's not. im sure of it, but

im
> > increasingly having a loud clicking sound about once per crank

revolution
> > and only under load (so i cant test it on the stand). i cant really tell

if
> > it's the chain or the cassette. any thoughts?

> The last time I had anything like that, it was my computer's
> cadence magnet on the crank hitting the pickup/transducer thingie.
>

> cheers,
> Tom
> --

def no that and only happens under load

"Michael Nitabach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "greggery peccary" <.@.> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Hi RBM, even the LBS cant help me with this because they dont
> > believe it isnt the end of the cable hitting my foot. it's not. im
> > sure of it, but im increasingly having a loud clicking sound about
> > once per crank revolution and only under load (so i cant test it
> > on the stand). i cant really tell if it's the chain or the
> > cassette. any thoughts? -alan

> Tighten your pedal spindles in the crankarms.
>
> --
> Mike Nitabach

new pedals. tight enough...

> greggery peccary wrote:
> > Hi RBM, even the LBS cant help me with this because they dont believe
> > it isnt the end of the cable hitting my foot. it's not. im sure of
> > it, but im increasingly having a loud clicking sound about once per
> > crank revolution and only under load (so i cant test it on the
> > stand). i cant really tell if it's the chain or the cassette. any
> > thoughts? -alan

> Bottom bracket, chainring bolt, crank bolt, cracked cleat...?

chainring bolts tight. i just did a big overhaul to inspect, clean and try
to figure it out. one thing i noticed was that there seemed to be some
friction in the bottom bracket cartidge. i took it to the shop and the tech
there said it seemed OK. cleats & pedals are new. im thinking rear cassette
or chain?

Sorni wrote:

> greggery peccary wrote:
> > Hi RBM, even the LBS cant help me with this because they dont believe
> > it isnt the end of the cable hitting my foot. it's not. im sure of
> > it, but im increasingly having a loud clicking sound about once per
> > crank revolution and only under load (so i cant test it on the
> > stand). i cant really tell if it's the chain or the cassette. any
> > thoughts? -alan

> Bottom bracket, chainring bolt, crank bolt, cracked cleat...?

A bike of mine had the same problem with the mysterious clicking under
load (and not always at that!). Turned out it was the bottom bracket.

Sky

"Chris Z The Wheelman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been getting the same thing on my MTB. but only under load and only
> in the center ring. It's a new ring and new chain (they are correctly
> matched). I've checked the ring for chipped teeth (none) and the
> chainring bolts (they're all tight).
>
> Since it's only while i'm in the center ring, I've ruled out the pedals,
> cleats, spindle and bearings, as these are all used while I'm in the
> other rings as well.
>
> I've finally come to the conclusion that one of the shift pins must be
> contacting the chain or something equally silly, and therefore it's
> nothing ore than a harmless annoyance. Something similar might be what's
> happening in your case too.
>
> Use the process of elimination and check everything involved in the
> crank, pedals (including shoes and cleats) and BB.
>
> - -
> Comments and opinions compliments of,
> "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

i had been thinkin harmless annoyance, but after a major crash last week &
close inspection of all components it's only gotten worse, in fact the click
has turned into click click. i would try to ignore it but its getting
louder. it almost sounds like a crack in the frame! can an aluminum frame
make noises like that just before failure?

greggery peccary wrote:
> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> greggery peccary wrote:
>>> Hi RBM, even the LBS cant help me with this because they dont
>>> believe it isnt the end of the cable hitting my foot. it's not. im
>>> sure of it, but im increasingly having a loud clicking sound about
>>> once per crank revolution and only under load (so i cant test it on
>>> the stand). i cant really tell if it's the chain or the cassette.
>>> any thoughts? -alan

>> Bottom bracket, chainring bolt, crank bolt, cracked cleat...?
>>

> chainring bolts tight. i just did a big overhaul to inspect, clean
> and try to figure it out. one thing i noticed was that there seemed
> to be some friction in the bottom bracket cartidge. i took it to the
> shop and the tech there said it seemed OK. cleats & pedals are new.
> im thinking rear cassette or chain?

Seat rails? Post? Try standing and see if it stops. (You can check chain
for a stiff link and make sure the cassette's on tight, but those don't
usually make a "clicking" sound and only under load, AFAIK.)

Did you snug up the crank bolts? (Can also remove the cranks, clean and
lube* the interfaces and reinstall.)

* WWIII material.

Good luck; you'll find it!

BS (no, I mean it :) )

greggery peccary wrote:
> "Chris Z The Wheelman" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>> I've been getting the same thing on my MTB. but only under load and
>> only in the center ring. It's a new ring and new chain (they are
>> correctly matched). I've checked the ring for chipped teeth (none)
>> and the chainring bolts (they're all tight).
>>
>> Since it's only while i'm in the center ring, I've ruled out the
>> pedals, cleats, spindle and bearings, as these are all used while
>> I'm in the other rings as well.
>>
>> I've finally come to the conclusion that one of the shift pins must
>> be contacting the chain or something equally silly, and therefore
>> it's nothing ore than a harmless annoyance. Something similar might
>> be what's happening in your case too.
>>
>> Use the process of elimination and check everything involved in the
>> crank, pedals (including shoes and cleats) and BB.
>>
>> - -
>> Comments and opinions compliments of,
>> "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>>

> i had been thinkin harmless annoyance, but after a major crash last
> week & close inspection of all components it's only gotten worse, in
> fact the click has turned into click click. i would try to ignore it
> but its getting louder. it almost sounds like a crack in the frame!
> can an aluminum frame make noises like that just before failure?

Yup. (Not to freak you out, but inspect it /closely/.)

They don't /usually/ fail catastrophically, but it's still obviously
important to find.

Sorni wrote:
> greggery peccary wrote:
>> "Chris Z The Wheelman" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message news:[email protected]...
>>> I've been getting the same thing on my MTB. but only under load and
>>> only in the center ring. It's a new ring and new chain (they are
>>> correctly matched). I've checked the ring for chipped teeth (none)
>>> and the chainring bolts (they're all tight).
>>>
>>> Since it's only while i'm in the center ring, I've ruled out the
>>> pedals, cleats, spindle and bearings, as these are all used while
>>> I'm in the other rings as well.
>>>
>>> I've finally come to the conclusion that one of the shift pins must
>>> be contacting the chain or something equally silly, and therefore
>>> it's nothing ore than a harmless annoyance. Something similar might
>>> be what's happening in your case too.
>>>
>>> Use the process of elimination and check everything involved in the
>>> crank, pedals (including shoes and cleats) and BB.
>>>
>>> - -
>>> Comments and opinions compliments of,
>>> "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>>>

>> i had been thinkin harmless annoyance, but after a major crash last
>> week & close inspection of all components it's only gotten worse, in
>> fact the click has turned into click click. i would try to ignore it
>> but its getting louder. it almost sounds like a crack in the frame!
>> can an aluminum frame make noises like that just before failure?

> Yup. (Not to freak you out, but inspect it /closely/.)
>
> They don't /usually/ fail catastrophically, but it's still obviously
> important to find.

PS: You didn't MENTION any "major crash", silly! Kind of a key detail :)

> Sorni wrote:
> > greggery peccary wrote:
> >> "Chris Z The Wheelman" <[email protected]> wrote in
> >> message news:[email protected]...

> >> i had been thinkin harmless annoyance, but after a major crash last
> >> week & close inspection of all components it's only gotten worse, in
> >> fact the click has turned into click click. i would try to ignore it
> >> but its getting louder. it almost sounds like a crack in the frame!
> >> can an aluminum frame make noises like that just before failure?

> > Yup. (Not to freak you out, but inspect it /closely/.)
> >
> > They don't /usually/ fail catastrophically, but it's still obviously
> > important to find.

> PS: You didn't MENTION any "major crash", silly! Kind of a key detail :)

yes, but the crash happened just last week the noise started a couple of
months ago. because of the crash i had to closely inspect everything (and
replace the fork which was sheared off!) which is why i am surprised to
still have this blasted clicking going on! :)

Sorni wrote:
> Sorni wrote:
>> greggery peccary wrote:
>>> "Chris Z The Wheelman" <[email protected]> wrote in
>>> message news:[email protected]...

>>> i had been thinkin harmless annoyance, but after a major crash last
>>> week & close inspection of all components it's only gotten worse, in
>>> fact the click has turned into click click. i would try to ignore it
>>> but its getting louder. it almost sounds like a crack in the frame!
>>> can an aluminum frame make noises like that just before failure?

>> Yup. (Not to freak you out, but inspect it /closely/.)
>>
>> They don't /usually/ fail catastrophically, but it's still obviously
>> important to find.

> PS: You didn't MENTION any "major crash", silly! Kind of a key detail :)

I had the same thing about a month ago and it was.......my shoe lace
hitting once every turn. Things can be not what you would think.
Bill Baka

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sorni wrote:
> > Sorni wrote:

> >> Yup. (Not to freak you out, but inspect it /closely/.)
> >>
> >> They don't /usually/ fail catastrophically, but it's still obviously
> >> important to find.

> > PS: You didn't MENTION any "major crash", silly! Kind of a key detail

:)

> I had the same thing about a month ago and it was.......my shoe lace
> hitting once every turn. Things can be not what you would think.
> Bill Baka

i thought if that too! i have watched down while riding many times & it is
also related to load.

greggery peccary wrote:
> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Sorni wrote:

>>> Yup. (Not to freak you out, but inspect it /closely/.)
>>>
>>> They don't /usually/ fail catastrophically, but it's still obviously
>>> important to find.

>> PS: You didn't MENTION any "major crash", silly! Kind of a key
>> detail :)
>>

> yes, but the crash happened just last week the noise started a couple
> of months ago. because of the crash i had to closely inspect
> everything (and replace the fork which was sheared off!) which is why
> i am surprised to still have this blasted clicking going on! :)

Oh, wow. I thought *I* was the only person who thinks that way! LOL (I
used to have some neck problems, and after doing one of many "endos" on the
mountain bike I remember actually hoping it would fix my neck!)

Did your bike shop guy get ON the bike and apply some torque to the pedals?
(BTW, can you reproduce the sound while just sitting or standing on the
bike -- holding on to something while jamming down on stuff -- or is it only
in "real world" scenarios?)

OK, now you're getting ME obsessed with this clicking...

BS (a bit)

greggery peccary wrote:
> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Sorni wrote:

>>> PS: You didn't MENTION any "major crash", silly! Kind of a key
>>> detail :)
>>>

>> I had the same thing about a month ago and it was.......my shoe lace
>> hitting once every turn. Things can be not what you would think.
>> Bill Baka

> i thought if that too! i have watched down while riding many times &
> it is also related to load.

Quicklink on the chain? (Sometimes the plates can hit the chainrings.)

In article <[email protected]>,
"greggery peccary" <.@.> wrote:

> Hi RBM, even the LBS cant help me with this because they dont believe it
> isnt the end of the cable hitting my foot. it's not. im sure of it, but im
> increasingly having a loud clicking sound about once per crank revolution
> and only under load (so i cant test it on the stand). i cant really tell if
> it's the chain or the cassette. any thoughts?

Do you have long presta stems without the threads? I did, and I was
hearing this annoying click just as you described. It was the stems
hitting the rim. A bit of tape wrapped around the stem fixed it.

--
*Help Animals, the Earth and Your Health! *
*Find out how:* www.VeganStarterPack.com <http://www.veganstarterpack.com/>

I had a similar once/rev last week....after fitting new pedals.....drove me
nuts trying to find it. It turned out that one of the pedals was just not
quite tight enough so that under load there was a slight movement. Tightened
it up, end of problem. I guess its because the thread depth is shallow
compared to the diameter. Might use some threadlock next time......

news:[email protected]...