The "Click-Stand" - any experience with this?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> http>//www.click-stand.com/

>>> I lean my bicycle against the touring bag>

> http>//tinyurl.com/dm4pp
>

>> You guys look as if it's really hot out there....

> Unlike other times:
>
> http://www.fietspunt.nl/images/articles/large/367/367001.jpg

Curious...I saw this elsewhere....cut&paste problem?

jobst.brandt wrote:

> Someone [?] writes:

[..]

>> Look closely at this picture:

> http://www.transportfiets.net/foto/transportfiets_741.jpg
>
> I take it these folks don't ride no-hands.

Perhaps not with a heavy load on the front. But otherwise it is perfectly
possible to do so, the thingie that goes from the downtube to the fork is
just a spring.

>> Here is another solution:

> http://www.fietspunt.nl/images/articles/large/367/367001.jpg
>
>> (the last one is a Shimano part but it will only fit older bikes, NOT
>> Ahead systems)

>> I do not know what these parts are called in English, sorry.

> Hey! Look, someone has invented indexed steering just about the time
> the riddence of it was designed. What an idea!

This is not "indexed steering". It is just a ring that you twist to lock
the fork when you park your bicycle.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> They say this is for when you can't find a place to lean your bike. That
>> would be where? A place with no walls, no trees, no poles, and no rocks.
>> Who would want to stop at such a place?
>>
>> Kickstands in general are unnecessary.

> Kickstands, for kids, should almost be a requirement. Don't ask me why, but
> without a kickstand, kids just lay there bike down any old place, often
> behind a car. Car backs out and... the only reason Mom or Dad don't kill the
> kid for being so stupid is that they're relieved the kid wasn't *on* the
> bike when it was run over. This happens more often than you'd think.

On our local MUP, there were two (2) small wooden ramps and three (3)
Razor scooters lying on the pavement. No children in sight.

I was sorely tempted to toss all the items into the brushed filled
drainage ditch, but there was the risk of a do-nothing suburbanite
observing and notifying the authorities (and I was riding a conspicuous
recumbent). Oh well, the parents would likely just replace the scooters
and not punish the little brats.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Nice pictures, Jobst--in fact, spectacular.

But let me bring this back on-topic. If you attach a small camera mount to
your bicycle, the kick stand converts it to a tripod.

I have also seen this done with a metal-frame back pack. A small ball-head
on one of the uprights, and a slender movable leg.

[email protected] wrote:

>> Here is another solution:

> http://www.fietspunt.nl/images/articles/large/367/367001.jpg
>
>> (the last one is a Shimano part but it will only fit older bikes,
>> NOT Ahead systems)

>> I do not know what these parts are called in English, sorry.

> Hey! Look, someone has invented indexed steering just about the time
> the riddence of it was designed. What an idea!
>
> Jobst Brandt

As I can see it you have to lock it in the indexed position. Unlocked it
would be like a normal headset without the indexed positions.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

In article <[email protected]>,
"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:

> They say this is for when you can't find a place to lean your bike.
> That would be where?

For one, a construction site which in its earliest
stages consists of an empty lot, around which a big
excavator machine impunitously trundles, save for
one spot which is devoid of places in which to lean
a bike.

> A place with no walls, no trees, no poles, and no
> rocks. Who would want to stop at such a place?

Rural prairies folks, I guess.

> Kickstands in general are unnecessary.

They're just the ticket in urban situations where
one might opt to walk for a little bit to do some
window shopping and the need to hitch one's trousers
back up suddenly arises. They also come in handy
when berry-picking along trails.

I have a very nice kickstand, myself. It clamps onto
both chainstay & seatstay. It's much better than those
friable, aluminum, behind-the-BB Pletscher ones.
It keeps my bike upright even when stuffing a garbage bag
full of laundry into the milk crate.

Anyways, flat MTB bars ain't so good for leaning
against walls. 'Specially with a bar-mounted
mirror sticking out of the left end.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> They say this is for when you can't find a place to lean your bike.
>> That would be where?

> For one, a construction site which in its earliest
> stages consists of an empty lot, around which a big
> excavator machine impunitously trundles, save for
> one spot which is devoid of places in which to lean
> a bike.

No silt fence to prevent soil runoff - or is that only in the US?

>> A place with no walls, no trees, no poles, and no
>> rocks. Who would want to stop at such a place?

> Rural prairies folks, I guess.

Sounds like the western Nebraska sand hills.

Leo Lichtman wrote:

> But let me bring this back on-topic. If you attach a small camera mount to
> your bicycle, the kick stand converts it to a tripod.

Any suggestions on where to procure, or how to construct, that sort of
mount ?

Thanks !

"Justa Lurker" wrote: Any suggestions on where to procure, or how to
construct, that sort of mount ?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wish I could give you a quick and clean answer, but...
You need a small, light ball-head camera mount, which will be available in
camera stores. These normally attach to the tripod with a 1/4-20 thread.
Some ball mounts are available with a C-clamp attachment, which would allow
you to put it anywhere on the bike frame, and then remove it when you are
ready to ride. This type can also be attached to a fence, or gate or post,
etc.

I've forgotten the name of the manufacturer, but you can buy a very small
plastic tripod, on which the legs are flexible. This can be stood on the
ground, or on any handy surface, or attached to the bicycle frame by
wrapping the legs around a tube.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you could make a small angle bracket with a
1/4-20 threaded post, and attach it to the bike with a hose clamp. Or think
of a way that fits with your available tools and ability. Hope this helps.

On Oct 20, 2:14 pm, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "Justa Lurker" wrote: Any suggestions on where to procure, or how to
>
> construct, that sort of mount ?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I wish I could give you a quick and clean answer, but...
> You need a small, light ball-head camera mount, which will be available in
> camera stores. These normally attach to the tripod with a 1/4-20 thread.
> Some ball mounts are available with a C-clamp attachment, which would allow
> you to put it anywhere on the bike frame, and then remove it when you are
> ready to ride. This type can also be attached to a fence, or gate or post,
> etc.
>
> I've forgotten the name of the manufacturer, but you can buy a very small
> plastic tripod, on which the legs are flexible. This can be stood on the
> ground, or on any handy surface, or attached to the bicycle frame by
> wrapping the legs around a tube.
>
> If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you could make a small angle bracket with a
> 1/4-20 threaded post, and attach it to the bike with a hose clamp. Or think
> of a way that fits with your available tools and ability. Hope this helps.

Get an "Ultrapod II." This is a small plastic folding
tripod with a small ball head. Two of the legs fold
against the third so that when folded it has a L
cross section, like an angle iron. It has a velcro
strap like a pump strap, which you can then use to
strap the L shape onto any roundish tube.

It won't hold anything larger than a fairly small camera
very steady, but it's about the best camera support
that is inexpensive, compact, and steady enough to be
useful. Here it is at REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/411006

Ben

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:
> Tom Keats wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> They say this is for when you can't find a place to lean your bike.
>>> That would be where?

>> For one, a construction site which in its earliest
>> stages consists of an empty lot, around which a big
>> excavator machine impunitously trundles, save for
>> one spot which is devoid of places in which to lean
>> a bike.

> No silt fence to prevent soil runoff - or is that only in the US?

AFAIK just Modu-Lok[tm] fencing to prevent people
from dumping their garbage in there, and maybe some
snow fencing to prevent piles of rubble & dirt from
cascading into adjacent lots. In a fully prep'd
Vancouver construction site there isn't any soil left.
Lots of dirt/clay/aluvial gravel, but no soil. Fresh
soil is added in the latter stages of construction.

>>> A place with no walls, no trees, no poles, and no
>>> rocks. Who would want to stop at such a place?

>> Rural prairies folks, I guess.

> Sounds like the western Nebraska sand hills.

I guess there are some desolate but at least
sparsely populated desert locales, too.

But even in the city my main bike is pretty much
unleanable, by dint of its flat MTB handlebar.
Even if I could get it to momentarily stay put,
some passerby would brush past it. That's happened
while I've had it propped solely by its kickstand.
Y'know what happens? The front wheel might get
flopped around, but the bike doesn't fall down. My
mirror just gets a little knocked out of adjustment.
The Powers-That-Be seem to like to keep me having to
readjust my mirror. Or they don't like the way I have
it adjusted, and they feel compelled to frobnicate it,
like a framed picture on the wall that doesn't quite
look level enough. I do wish Beings of all sorts could
just stop meddling, and just leave well enough alone.
Oh, well.

cheers,
Tom

--

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:
>> Tom Keats wrote:

>>> For one, a construction site which in its earliest
>>> stages consists of an empty lot, around which a big
>>> excavator machine impunitously trundles, save for
>>> one spot which is devoid of places in which to lean
>>> a bike.

>> No silt fence to prevent soil runoff - or is that only in the US?

> AFAIK just Modu-Lok[tm] fencing to prevent people
> from dumping their garbage in there, and maybe some
> snow fencing to prevent piles of rubble & dirt from
> cascading into adjacent lots. In a fully prep'd
> Vancouver construction site there isn't any soil left.
> Lots of dirt/clay/aluvial gravel, but no soil. Fresh
> soil is added in the latter stages of construction.

Ah, the agronomist definition of soil.

I would consider soil to be anything that can be excavated without
blasting, pneumatic breakers, etc.

>>> Rural prairies folks, I guess.

>> Sounds like the western Nebraska sand hills.

> I guess there are some desolate but at least
> sparsely populated desert locales, too.
>
> But even in the city my main bike is pretty much
> unleanable, by dint of its flat MTB handlebar.
> Even if I could get it to momentarily stay put,
> some passerby would brush past it. That's happened
> while I've had it propped solely by its kickstand.

This is why I like really narrow flat bars - no wider than my shoulders.

> Y'know what happens? The front wheel might get
> flopped around, but the bike doesn't fall down. My
> mirror just gets a little knocked out of adjustment.
> The Powers-That-Be seem to like to keep me having to
> readjust my mirror. Or they don't like the way I have
> it adjusted, and they feel compelled to frobnicate it,
> like a framed picture on the wall that doesn't quite
> look level enough. I do wish Beings of all sorts could
> just stop meddling, and just leave well enough alone.
> Oh, well.

A torpedo level is great for settling the picture hanging argument.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

-snip-
Tom Sherman wrote:
> A torpedo level is great for settling the picture hanging argument.

Maybe with a man. If a man cared enough to argue it.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

In article <[email protected]>,
A Muzi <[email protected]> writes:
> -snip-
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> A torpedo level is great for settling the picture hanging argument.

> Maybe with a man. If a man cared enough to argue it.

Laser levels are Da Bomb, and fun to play & frobnicate with.

But they don't solve my trivial damnation of everybody in
the world & his dog brushing past my handlebar mirror and
knocking it out of adjustment. Nothing will. It's just
something I have to live with. <shrug> I can withstand it.

A lot of people find squeezing the rubber bulb on my horn
irresistable, too.

Some folks strike matches and lingeringly stare in awe &
amazement at the flame. Those people scare me.

cheers,
Tom

--

On Oct 18, 2:28 pm, Art Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I don't believe the photo, there's a problem. What keeps the front
> > wheel from flopping to the low side (the bicycle is leaning), and then
> > roll backward and off the strut? When a bicycle is leaned against a
> > street sign post at the saddle, it tilts the front wheel, rolls back
> > and falls to the ground. I think this usually will do the same.

> The photo seems to show an elastic band going around the brake lever
> and handlebar (to keep the bike from rolling). Still, it doesn't look
> like a very sturdy design.
>
> http://www.click-stand.com/
>
> Art Harris

You could also put a small wood block, like a domino, under one the
front wheel to stop it.

Ken Freeman

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 02:58:47 -0000, husbandnextdoor
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Oct 18, 2:28 pm, Art Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>> > I don't believe the photo, there's a problem. What keeps the front
>> > wheel from flopping to the low side (the bicycle is leaning), and then
>> > roll backward and off the strut? When a bicycle is leaned against a
>> > street sign post at the saddle, it tilts the front wheel, rolls back
>> > and falls to the ground. I think this usually will do the same.

>> The photo seems to show an elastic band going around the brake lever
>> and handlebar (to keep the bike from rolling). Still, it doesn't look
>> like a very sturdy design.
>>
>> http://www.click-stand.com/
>>
>> Art Harris

>You could also put a small wood block, like a domino, under one the
>front wheel to stop it.

Why not a handy rock, twig or beer can?

I've read here of someone carrying a small wedge to jam in the brake
lever to accomplish the same end.

.. . . or just grab a stir stick from the coffee shop.
--
zk

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> They say this is for when you can't find a place to lean your bike. That
>> would be where? A place with no walls, no trees, no poles, and no rocks.
>> Who would want to stop at such a place?
>>
>> Kickstands in general are unnecessary.

> Kickstands, for kids, should almost be a requirement. Don't ask me why, but
> without a kickstand, kids just lay there bike down any old place, often
> behind a car. Car backs out and... the only reason Mom or Dad don't kill the
> kid for being so stupid is that they're relieved the kid wasn't *on* the
> bike when it was run over. This happens more often than you'd think.

You should remove all kickstands from kids' bikes, then, as a way to get
repeat customers.

--

David L. Johnson

The motor car reflects our standard of living and gauges the speed of
our present life. It long ago ran down Simple Living, and never halted
to inquire about the prostrate figure which fell as its victim.
-- Warren G. Harding

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>You could also put a small wood block, like a domino, under one the
>>front wheel to stop it.
>>

> Why not a handy rock, twig or beer can?
>
> I've read here of someone carrying a small wedge to jam in the brake
> lever to accomplish the same end.
>
> . . . or just grab a stir stick from the coffee shop.

We tend to set our drag brake when we park the tandem.