the bike doesnt make the rider...

Micheal Artinda

Guest
I own a Canadian tire(little better than walmart) bike.
I bought it 5 yrs ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21
speed, front suspension bike. I have a friend that has a
bike worth $5000, it is fron suspension and is a 21
speed bike.

When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able to
do more with my bike. He can not do extreme hills, or
extreme rough terain. If he tried, his frame would snap, it
is not designed for that. Me, i dont fear those hills or
rough spots.

I have spent about $100 for replacement of cables, tubes,
tires, front derailers and shifters.

He was able to get his bike, cus he works for a bike shop.
It cost him about half.

I have ridden his bike, and except that it is a bit lighter,
i dont notice a thing.

I could, at the time afford what i paid for. I am saving my
pennies to replace my bike with something better. I had a
walmart bike, and the frame snapped. I feel that i have been
going up in the world.

It isnt the bike that makes the rider. it is the rider that
makes the bike. you give a novice a realy good bike, and
itll rust up before they actually find out its capabilities.
If you give an expert rider a cheapie bike, itll
desintegrate as they ride. It will last longer, as they will
be replacing everything with something a bit better.

When you go buy a bike, dont go by brand, go by budget, and
your abilities. No sence spending lots of money when
something cheap will do.

Buy smart.... and ride hard.

Micheal

Micheal Artindale <[email protected]> wrote:
> I own a Canadian tire(little better than walmart) bike.
> I bought it 5 yrs ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21
> speed, front suspension bike. I have a friend that has a
> bike worth $5000, it is fron suspension and is a 21
> speed bike.
>
> When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able
> to do more with my bike. He can not do extreme hills, or
> extreme rough terain. If he tried, his frame would snap,
> it is not designed for that. Me, i dont fear those hills
> or rough spots.
>
> I have spent about $100 for replacement of cables, tubes,
> tires, front derailers and shifters.
>
> He was able to get his bike, cus he works for a bike shop.
> It cost him about half.
>
> I have ridden his bike, and except that it is a bit
> lighter, i dont notice a thing.
>
> I could, at the time afford what i paid for. I am saving
> my pennies to replace my bike with something better. I had
> a walmart bike, and the frame snapped. I feel that i have
> been going up in the world.
>
> It isnt the bike that makes the rider. it is the rider
> that makes the bike. you give a novice a realy good
> bike, and itll rust up before they actually find out its
> capabilities. If you give an expert rider a cheapie
> bike, itll desintegrate as they ride. It will last
> longer, as they will be replacing everything with
> something a bit better.
>
> When you go buy a bike, dont go by brand, go by budget,
> and your abilities. No sence spending lots of money when
> something cheap will
> do.
>
> Buy smart.... and ride hard.
>
> Micheal

True to some extent. I wonder what a rider of equal skill to
yours would do on your friend's bike though when riding with
you. I ride with friends that are on rigid bikes and they
kick my ass on my FS so I can't argue much with you. But I
also ride with friends on the same par as me and I leave
them on rooty descents with their hardtails. And I'm NOT
that skilled.

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote
in message

> I own a Canadian tire (little better than walmart) bike. I
> bought it 5 yrs ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21
> speed, front suspension bike. I
have
> a friend that has a bike worth $5000, it is front
> suspension and is a 21 speed bike.

I use a simple formula: Ride more at least more miles per
year than your bike cost in dollars. It keeps you honest

Your friend needs to ride 5000 miles a year. That's a lot of
MtB miles. My bike cost around $1200 bucks (which means 23
miles a week) I usually do about 30/week split into 3-4
rides a week.

Micheal Artindale wrote:
> I own a Canadian tire(little better than walmart) bike.
> I bought it 5 yrs ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21
> speed, front suspension bike. I have a friend that has a
> bike worth $5000, it is fron suspension and is a 21
> speed bike.
>
> When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able
> to do more with my bike. He can not do extreme hills, or
> extreme rough terain. If he tried, his frame would snap,
> it is not designed for that. Me, i dont fear those hills
> or rough spots.
>
> I have spent about $100 for replacement of cables, tubes,
> tires, front derailers and shifters.
>
> He was able to get his bike, cus he works for a bike shop.
> It cost him about half.
>
> I have ridden his bike, and except that it is a bit
> lighter, i dont notice a thing.
>
> I could, at the time afford what i paid for. I am saving
> my pennies to replace my bike with something better. I had
> a walmart bike, and the frame snapped. I feel that i have
> been going up in the world.
>
> It isnt the bike that makes the rider. it is the rider
> that makes the bike. you give a novice a realy good
> bike, and itll rust up before they actually find out its
> capabilities. If you give an expert rider a cheapie
> bike, itll desintegrate as they ride. It will last
> longer, as they will be replacing everything with
> something a bit better.
>
> When you go buy a bike, dont go by brand, go by budget,
> and your abilities. No sence spending lots of money when
> something cheap will
> do.
>
> Buy smart.... and ride hard.

Thank you for sharing with the group, Michael.

After a nap, it's finger-painting time!

Bill "did you bring your carpet remnant?" S.

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I own a Canadian tire(little better than walmart) bike.
> I bought it 5 yrs ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21
> speed, front suspension bike. I have a friend that has a
> bike worth $5000, it is fron suspension and is a 21
> speed bike.
>
> When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able
> to do more with my bike. He can not do extreme hills, or
> extreme rough terain. If he tried, his frame would snap,
> it is not designed for that. Me, i dont fear those hills
> or rough spots.
>
> I have spent about $100 for replacement of cables, tubes,
> tires, front derailers and shifters.
>
> He was able to get his bike, cus he works for a bike shop.
> It cost him about half.
>
> I have ridden his bike, and except that it is a bit
> lighter, i dont notice a thing.
>
> I could, at the time afford what i paid for. I am saving
> my pennies to replace my bike with something better. I had
> a walmart bike, and the frame snapped. I feel that i have
> been going up in the world.
>
> It isnt the bike that makes the rider. it is the rider
> that makes the bike. you give a novice a realy good
> bike, and itll rust up before they actually find out its
> capabilities. If you give an expert rider a cheapie
> bike, itll desintegrate as they ride. It will last
> longer, as they will be replacing everything with
> something a bit better.
>
> When you go buy a bike, dont go by brand, go by budget,
> and your abilities. No sence spending lots of money when
> something cheap will do.
>
> Buy smart.... and ride hard.
>
> Micheal

Don't be daft. Shitty bikes don't do anything well ,
except clog up storm drains. Anyone will ride better and
progress faster on a decent bike. If you can't afford a
better bike, then ride what you can, but it doesn't make
you big or clever.

cheers

Gaz

Micheal Artindale wrote:
> I own a Canadian tire(little better than walmart) bike.
> I bought it 5 yrs ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21
> speed, front suspension bike. I have a friend that has a
> bike worth $5000, it is fron suspension and is a 21
> speed bike.
>
> When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able
> to do more with my bike. He can not do extreme hills, or
> extreme rough terain. If he tried, his frame would snap,
> it is not designed for that. Me, i dont fear those hills
> or rough spots.
>
> I have spent about $100 for replacement of cables, tubes,
> tires, front derailers and shifters.
>
> He was able to get his bike, cus he works for a bike shop.
> It cost him about half.
>
> I have ridden his bike, and except that it is a bit
> lighter, i dont notice a thing.
>
> I could, at the time afford what i paid for. I am saving
> my pennies to replace my bike with something better. I had
> a walmart bike, and the frame snapped. I feel that i have
> been going up in the world.
>
> It isnt the bike that makes the rider. it is the rider
> that makes the bike. you give a novice a realy good
> bike, and itll rust up before they actually find out its
> capabilities. If you give an expert rider a cheapie
> bike, itll desintegrate as they ride. It will last
> longer, as they will be replacing everything with
> something a bit better.
>
> When you go buy a bike, dont go by brand, go by budget,
> and your abilities. No sence spending lots of money when
> something cheap will
> do.
>
> Buy smart.... and ride hard.
>
> Micheal

Uh oh. Someone tainted the milk up there in Canuck land.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

> When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able
> to do more with my bike. He can not do extreme hills, or
> extreme rough terain. If he tried, his frame would snap,
> it is not designed for that. Me, i dont fear those hills
> or rough spots.

You must be one awesome rider! We're all very impressed!

> Thank you for sharing with the group, Michael.
>
> After a nap, it's finger-painting time!
>
> Bill "did you bring your carpet remnant?" S.

FINGER PAINTING -- i love it (lol)

We had to bring our ownt carpet??? awww

Micheal

On 2004-05-25, Ozman Trad penned:

> I use a simple formula: Ride more at least more miles per
> year than your bike cost in dollars. It keeps you honest
>
> Your friend needs to ride 5000 miles a year. That's a lot
> of MtB miles. My bike cost around $1200 bucks (which means
> 23 miles a week) I usually do about 30/week split into 3-4
> rides a week.

I like that idea. Do you count upgrades in your math?

--
monique

"Socks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> my formula is to divide the price by the number of rides.
> same principle. that first ride is expensive, the second
> half so, the third ... and so on.

If that was reality, I would have to ride about 5 hours a
day every single day between my various bikes for the next 5
years in order to make my money back on my
collection...damn, I have a lot of riding to catch up on...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"Monique Y. Mudama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2004-05-25, Ozman Trad penned:
> >
> > I use a simple formula: Ride more at least more miles
> > per year than your bike cost in dollars. It keeps you
> > honest
> >
> > Your friend needs to ride 5000 miles a year. That's a
> > lot of MtB miles. My bike cost around $1200 bucks (which
> > means 23 miles a week) I usually do about 30/week split
> > into 3-4 rides a week.
>
> I like that idea. Do you count upgrades in your math?

Hmmmn, havent thought about that. Maybe it could be adjusted
to how much you spend on your bike per year (Which would
include upgrades).

> "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]>
> > wrote in message news:3Y6dnfwHu5Tigi7dRVn-
> > [email protected]...
> >
> > > Uh oh. Someone tainted the milk up there in Canuck
> > > land.
> >
> > No, it is just made by Labatt and Molson.
> >
> > Micheal
>
> So, monkeys are pissing into your milk?
>
> JD

better than ur horse **** u call Bud, or Busch

Micheal (our beer has more alcohol content)

Micheal Artindale wrote:

> Micheal (our beer has more alcohol content)

Evidently.

Bill "National Pick On The New Guy Day" S.

" S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Micheal Artindale wrote:
> >
> > Micheal (our beer has more alcohol content)
>
> Evidently.
>
> Bill "National Pick On The New Guy Day" S.

I am not new, i have been here for a while. Also i do not
drink, but hey, when canadians can make a better beer than
USA, i ll rant all about it.

catch u on the trail.

Watch for flying parts

Micheal

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able
> > to do more with my bike. He can not do extreme hills, or
> > extreme rough terain. If he tried, his frame would snap,
> > it is not designed for that. Me, i dont fear those hills
> > or rough spots.
>
> You must be one awesome rider! We're all very impressed!

Not me :<)

MV impresses me more that this frame snapping clown

Micheal Artindale wrote:
> " S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Micheal Artindale wrote:
>>>
>>> Micheal (our beer has more alcohol content)
>>
>> Evidently.
>>
>> Bill "National Pick On The New Guy Day" S.
>>

> I am not new, i have been here for a while. Also i do not
> drink, but hey, when canadians can make a better beer than
> USA, i ll rant all about it.

they haven't yet, tho the fort nelson brewery is trying (
Nelson, BC microbrews) And I"m not talking about biduweiser
like American pee-pee beer, either

penny