the bike doesnt make the rider...

Micheal Artindale

Guest
I own a Canadian tire(little better than walmart) bike. I bought it 5 yrs
ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21 speed, front suspension bike. I have
a friend that has a bike worth $5000, it is fron suspension and is a 21
speed bike.

When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able to do more with my
bike. He can not do extreme hills, or extreme rough terain. If he tried, his
frame would snap, it is not designed for that. Me, i dont fear those hills
or rough spots.

I have spent about $100 for replacement of cables, tubes, tires, front
derailers and shifters.

He was able to get his bike, cus he works for a bike shop. It cost him about
half.

I have ridden his bike, and except that it is a bit lighter, i dont notice a
thing.

I could, at the time afford what i paid for. I am saving my pennies to
replace my bike with something better. I had a walmart bike, and the frame
snapped. I feel that i have been going up in the world.

It isnt the bike that makes the rider. it is the rider that makes the bike.
you give a novice a realy good bike, and itll rust up before they actually
find out its capabilities. If you give an expert rider a cheapie bike, itll
desintegrate as they ride. It will last longer, as they will be replacing
everything with something a bit better.

When you go buy a bike, dont go by brand, go by budget, and your abilities.
No sence spending lots of money when something cheap will do.

Buy smart.... and ride hard.

Micheal

Micheal Artindale <[email protected]> wrote:
> I own a Canadian tire(little better than walmart) bike. I bought it 5
> yrs ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21 speed, front suspension
> bike. I have a friend that has a bike worth $5000, it is fron
> suspension and is a 21 speed bike.
>
> When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able to do more
> with my bike. He can not do extreme hills, or extreme rough terain.
> If he tried, his frame would snap, it is not designed for that. Me, i
> dont fear those hills or rough spots.
>
> I have spent about $100 for replacement of cables, tubes, tires, front
> derailers and shifters.
>
> He was able to get his bike, cus he works for a bike shop. It cost
> him about half.
>
> I have ridden his bike, and except that it is a bit lighter, i dont
> notice a thing.
>
> I could, at the time afford what i paid for. I am saving my pennies to
> replace my bike with something better. I had a walmart bike, and the
> frame snapped. I feel that i have been going up in the world.
>
> It isnt the bike that makes the rider. it is the rider that makes the
> bike. you give a novice a realy good bike, and itll rust up before
> they actually find out its capabilities. If you give an expert rider
> a cheapie bike, itll desintegrate as they ride. It will last longer,
> as they will be replacing everything with something a bit better.
>
> When you go buy a bike, dont go by brand, go by budget, and your
> abilities. No sence spending lots of money when something cheap will
> do.
>
> Buy smart.... and ride hard.
>
> Micheal

True to some extent. I wonder what a rider of equal skill to
yours would do on your friend's bike though when riding with
you. I ride with friends that are on rigid bikes and they kick
my ass on my FS so I can't argue much with you. But I also
ride with friends on the same par as me and I leave them on
rooty descents with their hardtails. And I'm NOT that skilled.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I own a Canadian tire (little better than walmart) bike. I bought it 5 yrs
> ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21 speed, front suspension bike. I

have
> a friend that has a bike worth $5000, it is front suspension and is a 21
> speed bike.

I use a simple formula: Ride more at least more miles per year than your
bike cost in dollars. It keeps you honest

Your friend needs to ride 5000 miles a year. That's a lot of MtB miles. My
bike cost around $1200 bucks (which means 23 miles a week) I usually do
about 30/week split into 3-4 rides a week.

Micheal Artindale wrote:
> I own a Canadian tire(little better than walmart) bike. I bought it 5
> yrs ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21 speed, front suspension
> bike. I have a friend that has a bike worth $5000, it is fron
> suspension and is a 21 speed bike.
>
> When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able to do more
> with my bike. He can not do extreme hills, or extreme rough terain.
> If he tried, his frame would snap, it is not designed for that. Me, i
> dont fear those hills or rough spots.
>
> I have spent about $100 for replacement of cables, tubes, tires, front
> derailers and shifters.
>
> He was able to get his bike, cus he works for a bike shop. It cost
> him about half.
>
> I have ridden his bike, and except that it is a bit lighter, i dont
> notice a thing.
>
> I could, at the time afford what i paid for. I am saving my pennies to
> replace my bike with something better. I had a walmart bike, and the
> frame snapped. I feel that i have been going up in the world.
>
> It isnt the bike that makes the rider. it is the rider that makes the
> bike. you give a novice a realy good bike, and itll rust up before
> they actually find out its capabilities. If you give an expert rider
> a cheapie bike, itll desintegrate as they ride. It will last longer,
> as they will be replacing everything with something a bit better.
>
> When you go buy a bike, dont go by brand, go by budget, and your
> abilities. No sence spending lots of money when something cheap will
> do.
>
> Buy smart.... and ride hard.

Thank you for sharing with the group, Michael.

After a nap, it's finger-painting time!

Bill "did you bring your carpet remnant?" S.

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I own a Canadian tire(little better than walmart) bike. I bought it 5 yrs
> ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21 speed, front suspension bike. I have
> a friend that has a bike worth $5000, it is fron suspension and is a 21
> speed bike.
>
> When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able to do more with my
> bike. He can not do extreme hills, or extreme rough terain. If he tried, his
> frame would snap, it is not designed for that. Me, i dont fear those hills
> or rough spots.
>
> I have spent about $100 for replacement of cables, tubes, tires, front
> derailers and shifters.
>
> He was able to get his bike, cus he works for a bike shop. It cost him about
> half.
>
> I have ridden his bike, and except that it is a bit lighter, i dont notice a
> thing.
>
> I could, at the time afford what i paid for. I am saving my pennies to
> replace my bike with something better. I had a walmart bike, and the frame
> snapped. I feel that i have been going up in the world.
>
> It isnt the bike that makes the rider. it is the rider that makes the bike.
> you give a novice a realy good bike, and itll rust up before they actually
> find out its capabilities. If you give an expert rider a cheapie bike, itll
> desintegrate as they ride. It will last longer, as they will be replacing
> everything with something a bit better.
>
> When you go buy a bike, dont go by brand, go by budget, and your abilities.
> No sence spending lots of money when something cheap will do.
>
> Buy smart.... and ride hard.
>
> Micheal

Don't be daft. Shitty bikes don't do anything well , except clog up
storm drains. Anyone will ride better and progress faster on a decent
bike.
If you can't afford a better bike, then ride what you can, but it
doesn't make you big or clever.

cheers

Gaz

Micheal Artindale wrote:
> I own a Canadian tire(little better than walmart) bike. I bought it 5
> yrs ago, and spent $150 for it. It is a 21 speed, front suspension
> bike. I have a friend that has a bike worth $5000, it is fron
> suspension and is a 21 speed bike.
>
> When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able to do more
> with my bike. He can not do extreme hills, or extreme rough terain.
> If he tried, his frame would snap, it is not designed for that. Me, i
> dont fear those hills or rough spots.
>
> I have spent about $100 for replacement of cables, tubes, tires, front
> derailers and shifters.
>
> He was able to get his bike, cus he works for a bike shop. It cost
> him about half.
>
> I have ridden his bike, and except that it is a bit lighter, i dont
> notice a thing.
>
> I could, at the time afford what i paid for. I am saving my pennies to
> replace my bike with something better. I had a walmart bike, and the
> frame snapped. I feel that i have been going up in the world.
>
> It isnt the bike that makes the rider. it is the rider that makes the
> bike. you give a novice a realy good bike, and itll rust up before
> they actually find out its capabilities. If you give an expert rider
> a cheapie bike, itll desintegrate as they ride. It will last longer,
> as they will be replacing everything with something a bit better.
>
> When you go buy a bike, dont go by brand, go by budget, and your
> abilities. No sence spending lots of money when something cheap will
> do.
>
> Buy smart.... and ride hard.
>
> Micheal

Uh oh. Someone tainted the milk up there in Canuck land.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

> Thank you for sharing with the group, Michael.
>
> After a nap, it's finger-painting time!
>
> Bill "did you bring your carpet remnant?" S.

FINGER PAINTING -- i love it (lol)

We had to bring our ownt carpet??? awww

Micheal

> When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able to do more
> with my bike. He can not do extreme hills, or extreme rough terain.
> If he tried, his frame would snap, it is not designed for that. Me, i
> dont fear those hills or rough spots.

You must be one awesome rider! We're all very impressed!

On 2004-05-25, Ozman Trad penned:

> I use a simple formula: Ride more at least more miles per year than
> your bike cost in dollars. It keeps you honest
>
> Your friend needs to ride 5000 miles a year. That's a lot of MtB
> miles. My bike cost around $1200 bucks (which means 23 miles a week)
> I usually do about 30/week split into 3-4 rides a week.

I like that idea. Do you count upgrades in your math?

--
monique

On Tue, 25 May 2004 05:47:40 +0000, Ozman Trad wrote:

> I use a simple formula: Ride more at least more miles per year than your
> bike cost in dollars. It keeps you honest

my formula is to divide the price by the number of rides. same principle.
that first ride is expensive, the second half so, the third ... and so on.

"Socks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> my formula is to divide the price by the number of rides. same principle.
> that first ride is expensive, the second half so, the third ... and so on.

If that was reality, I would have to ride about 5 hours a day every single
day between my various bikes for the next 5 years in order to make my money
back on my collection...damn, I have a lot of riding to catch up on...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"Monique Y. Mudama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2004-05-25, Ozman Trad penned:
> >
> > I use a simple formula: Ride more at least more miles per year than
> > your bike cost in dollars. It keeps you honest
> >
> > Your friend needs to ride 5000 miles a year. That's a lot of MtB
> > miles. My bike cost around $1200 bucks (which means 23 miles a week)
> > I usually do about 30/week split into 3-4 rides a week.

> I like that idea. Do you count upgrades in your math?

Hmmmn, havent thought about that. Maybe it could be adjusted to how much you
spend on your bike per year (Which would include upgrades).

> "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > Uh oh. Someone tainted the milk up there in Canuck land.

> > No, it is just made by Labatt and Molson.
> >
> > Micheal

> So, monkeys are pissing into your milk?
>
> JD

better than ur horse **** u call Bud, or Busch

Micheal (our beer has more alcohol content)

Micheal Artindale wrote:

> Micheal (our beer has more alcohol content)

Evidently.

Bill "National Pick On The New Guy Day" S.

" S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Micheal Artindale wrote:
> >
> > Micheal (our beer has more alcohol content)

> Evidently.
>
> Bill "National Pick On The New Guy Day" S.

I am not new, i have been here for a while. Also i do not drink, but hey,
when canadians can make a better beer than USA, i ll rant all about it.

catch u on the trail.

Watch for flying parts

Micheal

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > When we go biking i can keep up with him. I also am able to do more
> > with my bike. He can not do extreme hills, or extreme rough terain.
> > If he tried, his frame would snap, it is not designed for that. Me, i
> > dont fear those hills or rough spots.

> You must be one awesome rider! We're all very impressed!

Not me :<)

MV impresses me more that this frame snapping clown