1st Audax

Adrian Godwin

Guest
I stayed at Mildenhall this weekend. With a flattish route and warm,
bright, windless weather I found I had no more excuses left and
did the 100k.

Didn't do too badly until the cafe stop : most of the riders that had
left me behind were still there when I arrived. Quite a bit slower
in the afternoon though, as I failed to find a bunch I could keep
up with and was left to trundle at my own fading pace.

Final time was 5:15. And about as long again before I wanted to
do any more than flop in a chair and drink ..

-adrian

"Adrian Godwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I stayed at Mildenhall this weekend. With a flattish route and warm,
> bright, windless weather I found I had no more excuses left and
> did the 100k.
>
> Didn't do too badly until the cafe stop : most of the riders that had
> left me behind were still there when I arrived. Quite a bit slower
> in the afternoon though, as I failed to find a bunch I could keep
> up with and was left to trundle at my own fading pace.
>
> Final time was 5:15. And about as long again before I wanted to
> do any more than flop in a chair and drink ..

Well done. There's nowt wrong with the time taken. You are well within the
6:40 for a 15km/hr pace. My first few Audaxes were completed as lanterne
rouge and even now, if the mood takes me I'm quite happy hanging on at the
back with like minded dawdlers if I can find some slow enough :)

Quoting vernon <[email protected]>:
>"Adrian Godwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>Final time was 5:15. And about as long again before I wanted to
>>do any more than flop in a chair and drink ..

>Well done. There's nowt wrong with the time taken.

Our last 100 was 7:30 although we did have an exciting mechanical to
contend with (stoker sync ring fell off).

>6:40 for a 15km/hr pace. My first few Audaxes were completed as lanterne
>rouge

So were we on that occasion but then the lanterne rouge was 2/5 of the
field. :)
Today is First Saturday, August - a weekend.

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:R3C*[email protected]...
> Quoting vernon <[email protected]>:
>>"Adrian Godwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>Final time was 5:15. And about as long again before I wanted to
>>>do any more than flop in a chair and drink ..

>>Well done. There's nowt wrong with the time taken.

> Our last 100 was 7:30 although we did have an exciting mechanical to
> contend with (stoker sync ring fell off).
>
>>6:40 for a 15km/hr pace. My first few Audaxes were completed as lanterne
>>rouge

> So were we on that occasion but then the lanterne rouge was 2/5 of the
> field. :)

My 'best' lanterne rouge was when the LH crank bolt fell out and the crank
fell off. I had 3 - 4 miles of one legged pedalling to contend with before
buying a replacement chainset and fitting it in Ripon. The RH SPD pedal
earned its keep that day. Managed to finish within the time limit.