2004 Bianchi Pista

tcklyde

Dec 17, 2003
I pulled up next to a 2004 Pista yesterday. It looked brand new, shiny... In a word: gorgeous. I don't know what else Bianchi may have changed from the 2003, but 2004 is one of the most beautiful bikes I've seen.

Originally posted by tcklyde
I pulled up next to a 2004 Pista yesterday. It looked brand new, shiny... In a word: gorgeous. I don't know what else Bianchi may have changed from the 2003, but 2004 is one of the most beautiful bikes I've seen.

ack. the chrome puts me off. especially when the older bikes were so pretty as dark gray or black.

I find the chrome seat garish also. Not enough to keep me from owning one though. It's a simple and very sweet bike.

There are two things that bother me about that bike: The threadless headset and the dumb bmx looking fork. I'd pay an extra hundred bucks for a nice lugged fork and a classic quill stem. Chrome is so hot, why not go all the way?

I don't want to come off as a hater though, I think the pista is pretty loaded for it's price point. Decent wheel set and fair amount of brand-name stuff.

i'm glad my pista has a threadless headset. but i guess that goes against the oldskoolrulz grain. i agree with you about the fork though. i really need to replace mine with something carbon or something lugged. now onto the chrome... first i think it's just too much. chrome seatstays/chainstays are hot.. the whole bike though...
not to mention that i really think that the chrome will chip really easily, and once chrome chips it flakes. i'm really glad i have the old powdercoated one.

regarding the "BMX looking fork" the round fork is actually the traditional style for track bike forks, versus the more ovalized section used on road bike forks. might have something to do with stiffer design.

joshuacity said:
regarding the "BMX looking fork" the round fork is actually the traditional style for track bike forks, versus the more ovalized section used on road bike forks. might have something to do with stiffer design.

I'm talking about the unicrown design, not the round blades. It just looks like they were trying to save money by not using a lugged fork, which has to be brazed by hand. Also, the rear dropouts are just stamped steel. Way thinner and weaker than the earlier models.

My point isn't that the bike is garbage. I'm sure that it's a really fun bike, and perfectly suitible for some riders. I've just always admired the Pista as a decent entry level track bike, and it's a shame that Bianchi is sacreficing quality for a lower price point. When it comes down to it, the important part is if you enjoy the bike, not what anyone else thinks. I'm only adding my oppinion for the sake of comparison.

The chrome also put me off at first. Then one day I saw one in front of me and my mind was changed. My wife, who is picky as hell, loved it as well. So I bought it. I have actually gotten more positive comments on this bike than on any other bike I have owned in the past. To be honest, I think it rides pretty damn good too. While I would rather have a Cinelli, Nagasawa or Ganwell Pro, this bike will more than do. I can nitpick. But people have nitpicked my race car as well, until I lap them. Race cars, bikes, sailboats, all the same. It's who is behind the controls that counts. I doubt I would be any quicker in a Nagasawa. I still remember back in my BMX days where there was this guy riding an ancient Mongoose Motomag on one-piece cranks that always had a clear track in front of him. Every single race. He shut up plenty of guys riding Hutch Pro Stars, fully decked Redlines, and the like. The man was never beat. You can be a parts geek, or you can shut up and ride. In fact that is the same thing I say to my race car driving students. Though I swap ride for drive.

As to BMX looking forks, or actual BMX forks, I have never had one fail on me. Even when jumping ten feet high and landing on pavement. I have tweaked plenty, but never broke one. Now, as far as frame failure when riding that **** they call aluminum, that is a different story.

I just bought an '04 Pista. I want to de-mark it. I peeled off everything that was obviously a sticker. How do I get the Bianchi logo and the other markings off without damaging the chrome. My first inclination is Acetone and a rag. Any other suggestions that won't damage the chrome finish?

mediaexplosion said:
I just bought an '04 Pista. I want to de-mark it. I peeled off everything that was obviously a sticker. How do I get the Bianchi logo and the other markings off without damaging the chrome. My first inclination is Acetone and a rag. Any other suggestions that won't damage the chrome finish?
I thought it was Non-Acetone to not ruin a finish. I used to use that stuff on my guitars and my bikes (excpect my road), but never had to worry about a chrome finish. Try wiping a small amount on someplace you won't noticed, like the inside of the dropout.

Personally, I though '04 had a cool looking frame, but its the components that really turned me off.

StartTday said:
I thought it was Non-Acetone to not ruin a finish. I used to use that stuff on my guitars and my bikes (excpect my road), but never had to worry about a chrome finish. Try wiping a small amount on someplace you won't noticed, like the inside of the dropout.

Personally, I though '04 had a cool looking frame, but its the components that really turned me off.
I dont own one but I have seen one. It reminds me of a PT Cruiser. Trying to look classic but failing miserably.

If they painted one celeste and put a cennelli quill stem on it I would buy one.

StartTday said:

I dont own one but I have seen one. It reminds me of a PT Cruiser. Trying to look classic but failing miserably.

If they painted one celeste and put a cennelli quill stem on it I would buy one.

StartTday said:

Oh wow, I should buy one. I have a 2004 Bianchi S.A.S.S. that is chrome, I could have twinners! I was thinking a 2006, didn't know 04 was chrome. Damn. :)

tcklyde said: