8 spd Dura Ace or 9spd 105

Latch

Dec 3, 2002
Hi i've just picked up an 8 spd Dura Ace group set, I was really only after some brake calipers (to replace squelchy cannondale brakes) now my question is, is it worth taking off the 9 spd 105 gear and putting on the 8 spd Dura Ace

Cheers

Originally posted by Latch
Hi i've just picked up an 8 spd Dura Ace group set, I was really only after some brake calipers (to replace squelchy cannondale brakes) now my question is, is it worth taking off the 9 spd 105 gear and putting on the 8 spd Dura Ace

Cheers

G'day,

Quick answer....nup. The 8 speed DA will be older than the 105 9. Chances are that DA 8 technology has already 'trickled' down to the 105 9. You can generally assume that this years DA is next years Ultegra. Anyway, why would you want 1 less gear?.

cheers,

Hitchy

A 2nd item to consider is the overall difference in the condition of each drive train group. (If the 105 is equal to or better, then thats the direction I would go as well).

Originally posted by Hitchy
G'day,

Quick answer....nup. The 8 speed DA will be older than the 105 9. Chances are that DA 8 technology has already 'trickled' down to the 105 9. You can generally assume that this years DA is next years Ultegra. Anyway, why would you want 1 less gear?.

cheers,

Hitchy
That's just alot of hooey.

Originally posted by boudreaux
That's just alot of hooey.
Here we go, once again. Someone was sharing their opinion and trying to help and you just have to be rude for no reason. Why not offer a helpful comment or say nothing at all. It's nice to be nice!

Originally posted by chrome frame
Here we go, once again. Someone was sharing their opinion and trying to help and you just have to be rude for no reason. Why not offer a helpful comment or say nothing at all. It's nice to be nice!
Well, it really was alot of hooey.Not my fault you couldn't pick up on that. I'd ceratinly rather have 8 DA if if functioned well and wasn't all natty looking from use. One less gear is no big issue for most people.

i agree with boudreax about hitchy's comment being at least a lot stretched and inaccurate, especially when he says that "You can generally assume that this years DA is next years Ultegra", that's just false.

It's true that when there's some big change in the design of the dura ace group, cheaper grouppos redesigns follow though, inheriting some of the DA improvements... 1997: 7400 DA gets replaced by 7700 DA - 1998: 6400 Ultegra gets replace by 6500 Ultegra - 1999: 1055 105 gets replaced by 5500 105, with 9speed, hollowtech and octalink technology "trickling down" to cheaper grouppos... the same way, you can easily predict that with 7800 DA being introduced this year, next years Ultegra will get a 10speed+integrated bottom bracket redesign... it's just something that doesn't happen every year, plus Dura Ace will always have an advantage in finish, better anodization and attention to details compared to cheaper grouppos.

so i disagree with boudreaux about taking pre-1997 8speed dura-ace over 1999 and later 9speed 105, given equal conditions the old DA will probably be nicer looking, but judging on the pure performance current 105 comes with 1 extra cog, better derailleur geometry, stiffer splined bottom bracket/cranks interface, less weight and better spare parts availability.

Originally posted by Marky Moon

so i disagree with boudreaux about taking pre-1997 8speed dura-ace over 1999 and later 9speed 105, given equal conditions the old DA will probably be nicer looking, but judging on the pure performance current 105 comes with 1 extra cog, better derailleur geometry, stiffer splined bottom bracket/cranks interface, less weight and better spare parts availability.
Better derailer geomety?? Tell me about that one, pleeze. The crank/BB stuff is just hooey, and so is better spare parts. The shifters are the big issue, and aren't rebuildable anyway. I ride 8 and 9 speed cranks and BB and can't tell the difference in stiffness. The old tapered cartrige BB often last longer because they have bigger bearing and the 'increased stiffness' is just marketing. I'm not gonna do the research on weight by item,but suggest you are just generalizing. You guys miss the point.It's not like he is asking if he shoud ditch his 105 and go buy 8 speed DA,as he's already got it. Assuming he can do it himself, I'd stick it on and use it

Better derailer geomety?? Tell me about that one, pleeze.

i could see that coming... i quote from sheldonbrown.com:

"The major difference between pre-1997 Dura-Ace and the rest of the Shimano lines is the cable travel of the rear derailer. Old Dura-Ace used a shorter amount of cable travel per shift. This has to do with the geometry of the cable attachment. Since the cable moved a shorter distance per shift, effects of cable friction or inaccurate cable adjustment were magnified."

it makes sense, doesn't it?

The crank/BB stuff is just hooey

i agree that you probably cannot tell the difference, but so far i know that the axle is bigger so it has to be stiffer too.. whatever, being the axle bigger, bearings have to be smaller so you should be right about them lasting less. On the other hand a square taper interface tends to wear out after being assembled/disassembled several times, not so for a splined interface (octalink, isis)

and so is better spare parts. The shifters are the big issue, and aren't rebuildable anyway.

i wasn't saying that 105 spare parts are better, i was saying that at least they're available... he'd have to go on sora components (or adapt 9speed cassettes with 8 speed spacers) the day his 8speed DA cassette/chain combo gets worn (assuming now it's brand new).

I'm not gonna do the research on weight by item,but suggest you are just generalizing.

well, i am, assuming that at least current 105 doesn't weigh more is pretty safe though.

You guys miss the point.

no i don't, i just wouldn't stick that 8 speed DA on if i was him, you don't get any improvement in both the drivetrain and BB/cranks area, you're going to deal with more difficult serviceability cause the group isn't produced anymore, you get one cog less (you might not need that ninth cog, but for sure it's not going to do you any harm), in the end i don't think it's worth the hassle, that's all.

i don't understand why you would stick it on instead, you should explain better, if i'm missing something chainging opinion is no problem to me.

I'd go with the 8 speed DA if it's in good shape. Not sure the 8 speed DA cluster will fit on the 9 spd 105 hub though?

Originally posted by Marky Moon
Better derailer geomety?? Tell me about that one, pleeze.

i could see that coming... i quote from sheldonbrown.com:

"The major difference between pre-1997 Dura-Ace and the rest of the Shimano lines is the cable travel of the rear derailer. Old Dura-Ace used a shorter amount of cable travel per shift. This has to do with the geometry of the cable attachment. Since the cable moved a shorter distance per shift, effects of cable friction or inaccurate cable adjustment were magnified."

it makes sense, doesn't it?

The crank/BB stuff is just hooey

i agree that you probably cannot tell the difference, but so far i know that the axle is bigger so it has to be stiffer too.. whatever, being the axle bigger, bearings have to be smaller so you should be right about them lasting less. On the other hand a square taper interface tends to wear out after being assembled/disassembled several times, not so for a splined interface (octalink, isis)

and so is better spare parts. The shifters are the big issue, and aren't rebuildable anyway.

i wasn't saying that 105 spare parts are better, i was saying that at least they're available... he'd have to go on sora components (or adapt 9speed cassettes with 8 speed spacers) the day his 8speed DA cassette/chain combo gets worn (assuming now it's brand new).

I'm not gonna do the research on weight by item,but suggest you are just generalizing.

well, i am, assuming that at least current 105 doesn't weigh more is pretty safe though.

You guys miss the point.

no i don't, i just wouldn't stick that 8 speed DA on if i was him, you don't get any improvement in both the drivetrain and BB/cranks area, you're going to deal with more difficult serviceability cause the group isn't produced anymore, you get one cog less (you might not need that ninth cog, but for sure it's not going to do you any harm), in the end i don't think it's worth the hassle, that's all.

i don't understand why you would stick it on instead, you should explain better, if i'm missing something chainging opinion is no problem to me.
Well, yeah the pre 9 speed DA derailers do have a different throw ratio. And despite the 'theoretical' differences, I use them in several setups and have absolutely no issues in long term use. Just going to 9 and 10 speeds makes for more critical adjustment and more sensetivity to other issues becasue of ever decreasing cog spacing. Old 7 speed RSX was noted for being less sensetive than 8 speed just because of wider cog spacing. In a real practical sense it's a non issue. BB stiffness:Again a statement of probable fact,but of what real importance, if a square taper is plenty stiff enough, and there is no real evidence that it is not. Again alot of marketing hype rather than reality plays into this. A square taper reallly does not tend to wear out cranks,if done right,and I've had em on and off many times. Besides with cartridge BB there is less need to be taking them off anyway. Octalink and isis interface are not without their problems and people bugger cranks with them too. Do you really think that 8 speed cassettes(non sora) and chains are not available?? And won't be for a long time..You can use a 9 speed chain with an otherwise 8 speed systen anyway. Tell me about more difficult 'serviability' in real life terms. He ought to be able to resolve the issue of 1 more or less gear himself. Riding everything from 6 thru 10 myself, there are many times when 1 more or less makes little difference. He asked for an opinion.I gave him mine, just based on use of the stuff and personal preference, not a bunch of stuff that just does not fly(AKA hooey). If he has to pay someone else to do,It probably ain't worth it. Being a confirmed fiddler,makes it a different proposition for me.

well Boudreaux, i still run 7-speed 105 with downtube shifters (plan on assembling a bike with a used ultegra ) so i know you can survive without original old shimano parts and i can agree that as long that shifting works/bearings roll smooth/cranks aren't made of butter/the whole thing doesn't weigh a ton, every other theorethical difference is just "hooey", but that's also the main reason why we have to take "probable facts" and personal preferences into account to make a choice.

...anyway, it seems we've come to this conclusions:

there are no "real" facts (saved for the extra cog) showing that 9 speed 105 is better, as well as there are no "real" facts showing that old 8 speed DA is better.. there are a few theorethical points in favor to 9 speed 105 though, but every of them (BB/cranks stiffness, throw ratio, spare parts availability) seems to fall in the category of "probable facts".

Even though i admit i'd be sincerely tempted cause it'd look a lot fancier, i still don't see a reason to stick that 8speed DA on, having to base a judgement over "real facts", that extra cog *wins* (old shimano parts availability truly is an issue here in Italy, anyway)

Since you don't care about that extra cog, you would stick it on cause of a reasonable personal preference for Dura Ace.

That's pretty much about it, right? So what has Latch decided???

Hey thanks for all th input guys....I reckon at this stage I'll keep the 105 running gear and just chuck on the DA brake calipers...and just see how we go...when I have a bit of time to muck around with I might change the whole lot over just to test for a while...I'll let you know when I do it.....Cheers all

Hey thanks for all th input guys....I reckon at this stage I'll keep the 105 running gear and just chuck on the DA brake calipers...and just see how we go...when I have a bit of time to muck around with I might change the whole lot over just to test for a while...I'll let you know when I do it.....Cheers all
Well, if the stuff is in good shape, and you got into it right you can probably sell it on ebay for more than it's really worth, and have money in your pocket to upgrade or replace the 105 if it craps out.

Cheers

Good score on the brakes, I am doing almost exactly the same thing, except I opted to replace my dales with '03 series used Dura Ace brakes.

I also wanted to upgrade the cogset that came with my 105 drivetrain as well. My best suggestion is to find a used 9 spd Dura Ace cassette with the cogs that you want. The 105 BB and crank are a good set, and swapping the cassette is the easiest and least expensive way to update your drive train.

Originally posted by waterboy420

I also wanted to upgrade the cogset that came with my 105 drivetrain as well. My best suggestion is to find a used 9 spd Dura Ace cassette with the cogs that you want. The 105 BB and crank are a good set, and swapping the cassette is the easiest and least expensive way to update your drive train.
So what makes the DA casette such a great upgrade on a 105 bike? The extra bling of some Ti cogs is hardly worth the money. Used cassettes can be a real **** shoot too.

a 9spd ultegra cassettes the most bang for the buck, altho no real reason update a perfectly functional 105 one