aging woes and cycling

TXcycleforfun

Jun 10, 2023
I've ramped up my cycling miles over the last few months after being off the bike due to injury for several months. I'm having a particularly hard time getting my rear end (literally) back in shape. I get pretty sore after an hour or so. My bike set up has not changed and I was sure that sitz bones and skin would toughen up, but it does not seem to be happening. Any thoughts what may be going on?

I've ramped up my cycling miles over the last few months after being off the bike due to injury for several months. I'm having a particularly hard time getting my rear end (literally) back in shape. I get pretty sore after an hour or so. My bike set up has not changed and I was sure that sitz bones and skin would toughen up, but it does not seem to be happening. Any thoughts what may be going on?

To help relieve pressure and weight from the butt, you need to be pushing the pedals harder.

Because you're off the bike for several months, you've lost some of your strength on the bike. That's why your butt is getting sore too soon because it's supporting more weight (either you gained some weight or your legs isn't working as hard as before). Not just sitting longer on the bike, you also need to build your leg strength.

You're final course of action is of course, getting another bike fit and even switching to a different saddle shape. Lost fitness is likely to require a change in bike fit and even saddle shape.