Anyone Have Feedback On Bike Trailer's For Little Ones?

gofearstan

Jun 30, 2015
My little guy just turned 7 months and I watch him on weekends so hoping to find a good safe bike trailer we can ride around on local MUPS and bike trails close to home. All the paths are pretty smooth. I did look into them briefly, but they seem to range anywhere from $50-$500 and all seem to look the same with the exception of suspension on some of the higher end models.

I have a road bike and a hybrid, but will more than likely use the hybrid when we ride since I don't plan on going too fast with him on back.

Anyone have suggestion on good brands to consider or what options I should be looking for. I have yet to find a bike shop with them in stock so haven't been able to inspect anything in person as of yet.

We have a Burley that was gifted to us from a friend. Craig's list is a great place -- make sure whatever you look at has all the hardware and connecting pieces. Most (all?) trailers have a part that goes on the tow bike at the rear axle -- then the trailer attaches to it.

My only suggestion isn't on the trailer; it's to wait a few more months. The earliest my pediatrician (and reading I did) said to have the kids in the trailer was 1 year old -- mostly because their neck muscles aren't developed enough yet to wear a helmet and be safe. (Yes, a helmet in the trailer)

I'd get a Chariot again if I needed a trailer. Smart designs and accessories (including a head brace). I have one of their Sidecarrier sidecars. Sweet piece of kit.

i have two kids, and put them both in the sidecar before it made sense to have them wear helmets. I understand some may have a different assessment of the risks involved in having young necks bear the helmet weight vs. risks of accidents vs. convenience, and those issues vis-a-vis fitting a helmet, fitting a kid with a helmet in the trailer, and full-frame trailers.

I also have a vintage, out-of-production Tanjor Aero with inline seating that's positively awesome for older kids, as in 3yr and up. If you can find one, buy it!

We had mine in the trailer in January at age 7mo. I think to do it again we'd put his car seat in the trailer so his head wouldn't loll when he naps.

In May he rode ~110 miles.

We have an InStep Take 2, much like the one in post 9 but a 2-seater with a center harness so you can take one kid down the middle or two across. I cannot recommend it as a serious piece of hardware. It's not chintzy, it's held together well enough so far. But only two things about it are better than a Burley or Chariot. The one thing it does better than the nicer ones is that it folds completely flat. The other is that it's about 1/4 the price. Other than that, instead of a universal joint it uses a big spring, which creaks. The cover is attached with Velcro and snaps, and does not zip closed; on a better trailer the cover is like a camping tent, it seals up and is weatherproof if needed. The windows are not UV-proof and there is no sun shade. There is no suspension, the seats don't recline. The plastic wheels aren't true and the tires are hard as rocks. The aerodynamics stink, it's like towing a parachute. It's heavy. It does not convert from or to a stroller.

Instead of getting a "jogger" and a trailer, try getting a convertible trailer like some of the Burley and Chariot trailers. Our old Burley with the jogger kit got almost as much use off the bike as on.
I've never used a Chariot trailer but the Burley was very durable compared to friend's Instep trailers that fell apart after a year or so. This means a used Burley is a viable option, as long as you can inspect it in person since a friend got burned by an Ebay purchase that arrived minus the wheels.