Around the Bay in a week or so

GPLama wrote:
> "Bleve" wrote in message ...
>
>>>it's a good way to make money (selling it ...) but its effects

>>are unproven. Probably just another way to have expensive
>>****.

> Ah yes.... it is recommended you have NO caffeine when you are taking it..

Hang on a minute, no caffeine means ... NO COKE OR DARK CHOCOLATE!!!!!!
Aaaaaaaagh no amount of performance enhancement could be worth that.

DaveB "gutsing on coke and chocolate to take mind off pain in knee"

"Shabby" wrote in message ...

> That's total ****. All milk is the same, made by the same big two
> companies, pasteurised and homogenised so it's always the same. Only
> the branding changes. Cows don't just make 4% milk day in day out, the
> manufacturers blend the back in fat to get three different milk
> percentages (0.1%/1%/4%).
>
> If milk had no protein, it would be water with a bit of lactose in it.

fair enough.. but why is there such a difference in protein between
different 'lolly milk' makers?

cheers,
GPL

On 2005-09-26, Shabby (aka Bruce)

> Terry Collins Wrote:
>> GPLama wrote:
>>
>> > IMHO there are much better things for cycling... Like low fat coffee

>> BigM's!
>> > hmmmm good, but not the BigM brand, not enough protein..

>> Apparently one of the tricks with cheap milk (woollies, etc) is to
>> strip
>> the protein out of it.

> That's total ****. All milk is the same, made by the same big two
> companies, pasteurised and homogenised so it's always the same.

Yummy non-pasteurised milk (there's one brand in my stupormarket).
Cream sits on the top.

Before laws came in otherwise, we used to go to the local dairy, and
put ~$3.20 in a cup (this was only 7 years ago), and dip the
containers in the vat and get our 8 litres of milk out.

Note I didn't say "turn on the stirrer". I did however, neglect to
say "scoop the containers only over the top, so as to maximise fatty
goodness". I'm surprised dad din't die of the effects of high
cholesterol.

If you wanted cream for your desert, just scoop it off the top of the
containers. There was plenty to go around.

Every summer that I went there, it would take me a week to get used to
the strong flavour, and then when I would come back to civilisation,
it would take me a month to get over the bland taste of the milk for
the masses.

--
TimC
Some people claim that the UNIX learning curve is steep, but at least you

cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote
in news:[email protected]:

> Woohoo hahohaha
>
> Have to share this Blast From The Past :D
>
> [image:
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/cfsmtb/bairnsdaletom

> lb1986B.jpg]

Schiess, I was still riding my Apollo ten speed to school
back then and drooling over a mates 18 speed.

Everyone I knew got a 10 spd at Christmas when they started
high school. I can't remember anyone who got a lift and only
under privaleged kids caught a bus (I don't think there was
even a stop near home). We rode them everywhere - school,
footy, swimming pool, indoor cricket and part time jobs.

TTing with the tail wind on the way home, tailgating the
triples on their way out of town.

Memories :)

Cheers

BrettM

GPLama said:
"Shabby" wrote in message ...

> That's total ****. All milk is the same, made by the same big two
> companies, pasteurised and homogenised so it's always the same. Only
> the branding changes. Cows don't just make 4% milk day in day out, the
> manufacturers blend the back in fat to get three different milk
> percentages (0.1%/1%/4%).
>
> If milk had no protein, it would be water with a bit of lactose in it.

fair enough.. but why is there such a difference in protein between
different 'lolly milk' makers?

cheers,
GPL

Check the ingredients. If one of them is Milk, then a whole bunch of other stuff after it, there's your answer. (Anything else is added back in - whey, milk powder, milk solids etc. ).

A former boss of mine once said "The main component in processed cheese is cheese". To the general public, this would be a given, but he was proud of the fact that they had soooo much cheese in their plastic cheese compared to their competitors.

The dairy industry is always thinking up new ways of getting rid of it's waste, most of them involving stuffing them into foods that don't require them.

Shabby wrote:

> The dairy industry is always thinking up new ways of getting rid of
> it's waste, most of them involving stuffing them into foods that don't
> require them.

Yep, my dentist tried to interest me in a product call tooth moouse
which turns out to be another milk waste product promoted by Bonlac.
When I read the tests to see whether it was any good, it mumbled
something about depositing into tartar, but nothing about uptake in
tooth enamel. So in this case, it had created a whole product to try and
sell its waste.

Shabby wrote:
> Terry Collins Wrote:
>
>>Apparently one of the tricks with cheap milk (woollies, etc) is to
>>strip
>>the protein out of it.

> That's total ****. All milk is the same,

Nope, my taste buds say there are big differences between different full
cream milks. It was confirmed by internal sources that they do "recover"
some proteins <- perhaps that is more to your liking.

> made by the same big two companies, pasteurised and
> homogenised so it's always the same.

Nope.
> Only the branding changes.

Actually, you will find differences between the same brand state by
state, hint woollies milk doesn't come from the same company throughoput
Australia even though woollies only pay the one comapnay.

> Cows don't just make 4% milk day in day out,

err, Cows don't make x% milk fat day in day out either. I remember well
a Choice test on milk, when there was many more milk produces and how
they said "it was remarkable that all milk sold had the same fat
content, which was remarkable just on the legal minimum", or words to
that effect.

Terry Collins said:
Shabby wrote:
> Terry Collins Wrote:
>
>>Apparently one of the tricks with cheap milk (woollies, etc) is to
>>strip
>>the protein out of it.

> That's total ****. All milk is the same,

Nope, my taste buds say there are big differences between different full
cream milks. It was confirmed by internal sources that they do "recover"
some proteins <- perhaps that is more to your liking.

> made by the same big two companies, pasteurised and
> homogenised so it's always the same.

Nope.
> Only the branding changes.

Actually, you will find differences between the same brand state by
state, hint woollies milk doesn't come from the same company throughoput
Australia even though woollies only pay the one comapnay.

> Cows don't just make 4% milk day in day out,

err, Cows don't make x% milk fat day in day out either. I remember well
a Choice test on milk, when there was many more milk produces and how
they said "it was remarkable that all milk sold had the same fat
content, which was remarkable just on the legal minimum", or words to
that effect.

Haven't got time for the milk debate, but there's two main manufacturers in the country, in the south (not many dairy cows up north Terry). The fat content is set by the label on the box, end of story, which is set at a level based on the average. there's more fat in winter in the feedstock, and it all gets blended and homogenised.

Your "internal sources" aren;t telling you anything the milk companies won;t admit to straight out. The ratios of fat/protein/lactose/water stay the same across Australia with each brand, any differences are nothing to do with protein concentrations. And yes, as with any industry, they get it as close to the spec as possible on the water content becuase otherwise you're just throwing away money.

Feel like an edible oil debate as well......? Next you'll be telling me that Vegetable oil is just Canola oil? Or that Crisco and Home Brand are the same oil?

Look how many large manufacturers there are in any product range, then count the number of "Made in Australia" products. Most food groups can only support two competitors, the rest are contracted. Hence, we get lots of choices for price points in buying the same product.

And if you think your local 7-11 has it's own refinery and tank farms for it's petrol.......