Asma :treatment without drugs

el Ingles

Oct 3, 2003
I have asma , treatment includes Salbutamol , inhaled gluco-cortcoids . Are there any mechanical ways to try and improve my condition , as I´m getting real tired of having to stop , cough and spit when going uphill . Thanks .

Originally posted by el Inglés
I have asma , treatment includes Salbutamol , inhaled gluco-cortcoids . Are there any mechanical ways to try and improve my condition , as I´m getting real tired of having to stop , cough and spit when going uphill . Thanks .

not sure about mechanical ways, but IF YOU HAVE TO STOP, COUGH AND SPIT YOUR ASTHMA IS NOT UNDER CONTROL...

There are a number of treatments (yes, they include corticosteroids) that can completely control asthma, but the treatment will vary between individuals.

I can't stress this enough - get some decent medical advice, and get it under control.

Originally posted by Blimp
not sure about mechanical ways, but IF YOU HAVE TO STOP, COUGH AND SPIT YOUR ASTHMA IS NOT UNDER CONTROL...

There are a number of treatments (yes, they include corticosteroids) that can completely control asthma, but the treatment will vary between individuals.

I can't stress this enough - get some decent medical advice, and get it under control.
>>>

I suspect I may have exercise-induced asthma. I never had a problem until a few wks ago, I also have to cough, stop and spit while exercising (but not on my real bike when riding outdoors, interestingly.) It only happens on the indor stationary.

A good option for some is the long acting versions of salbutamol-like drugs. Eg salmeterol. Some of these are combined with a corticosteroid and can be very effective when used twice a day.

I'm no expert on Asthma but just wanted add a word of warning. If you are asthmatic and eat peanuts and peanut products, try removing them from your diet. My DD was diagnosed as asthmatic and treated for it. After a health scare in Australia regarding peanut butter, we stopped buying it for a while. Her symptons ceased, when we bought it again her symptons came back. Looking up peanut allergies showed that asthma like reactions are common. My DD has been off all medication for 4 years since giving it up.

Thanks , I´ve got a lot of health problems but , for the moment , alergies to any type of nuts ( frutas secas ) are not one of them .
The problem with drug treatment is that as soon as you move from basic remedies the costs multiply exponentially , beyond my ability to pay , remember this is a life time treatment which is why I´m trying to find information about active rather than passive treatments , being told to blow up ballons seems to be a little inprecise and I have been advised against it as it can cause strain on the blood vessels ; I seem to need something more controlled .
Any ideas anybody ?
Thanks people .

I have suffered from asthma for at least 18 years. Whilst at school, my asthma was definitely not under control and I was quite unfit. Any exercise brought on an attack. I was dragged around to all the various "cures" around. the medical theory of the time was to pump me full of ventolin and becotide (cortic steroids) eventually I was having so much of the stuff that my blood would no longer clot properly.

Nowadays I have to take a daily drag on an inhaler called symbicort (a combo of steroid preventer and reliever), which although it does have some steroids, the dosage has been minimised and my asthma is now under control. I also have to take a budesonide nasal spray (otherwise my nose is only half open)
It makes such a difference being able to breath like a normal person (though it would be better if I didn't need medication).

However, I have never in my life had to stop exercising to cough up a lung. If this is the case you may also be suffereing some form of exercise induced bronchitis. I have never known asthma alone cause anyone to cough up stuff. (I may be wrong of course)

I've had great results with ADVAIR. Its actually inhalling a powder. (SALMETEROL). Good enough results to be interested in cycling. I lost many years of sports and what not. Now at 34 I have it under control.
I do have a fast acting albuterol inhaler just in case. But when I'm consistently active....I don't need it. Just 2 puffs a day from the ADVAIR.
As for a homeopathic aid......good luck with that.

This may sound weird but try going to an exercise physiology training centre that has an altitude simulation machine. There has been little research into this but it has been noticed that after a few treatments at altitude asthmatic clients have reduced attacks. You may have to go about twice a year for treatment but you may otherwise be cleared up. One of my profs. mentioned it and I while I was at a private exercise training centre they were talking about the benefits...I am currently a kinesiology student so I have the IN info on the newest exercise techniques. Give it a shot it may lighten your wallet but it may essentially "cure" your problem.

Aloe Vera has been shown to help asthma sufferers (it boosts the immune system). I have some minor allergies that create an annoying amount of phlegm during rides, especially in high pollen conditions. Drinking 4 to 8 ounces of gel a day has eliminated the problem. It has also cleared up digestive problems which tended to develop on longer rides. Do a google search and read up about it but beware there are way too many sites that are just trying to sell product rather than dispense facts. It's not a magical cure-all as some like to portray it, but when used for specific problems it is very effective and works suprisingly fast. And, unlike every drug in the PDR, it has no contraindications.

Originally posted by Cheryl
I'm no expert on Asthma but just wanted add a word of warning. If you are asthmatic and eat peanuts and peanut products, try removing them from your diet. My DD was diagnosed as asthmatic and treated for it. After a health scare in Australia regarding peanut butter, we stopped buying it for a while. Her symptons ceased, when we bought it again her symptons came back. Looking up peanut allergies showed that asthma like reactions are common. My DD has been off all medication for 4 years since giving it up.

allergies sure make mine worse. though not nuts but grains.

Thnaks everybody but what I was hopeing for was info about a product(s) that I saw in the English cycle press about breath trraining aparatus that while intend for warm up exercises had seemed to show benefits for people with asma as well .
Thanks anyway guys .

I've seen some pretty compelling stuff on the (spelling here?) the 'Butako' method.

In the 34s or 40s some russian guy (Butako) came up with a series of exercises aimed at 'training' asmatics to control their symptons without drugs.

Now, given the politics of modern medicine (try getting a GP to refer someone with back trouble to a Chiropractor!) you may have to look hard to find details.

I'm not an asmatic but I know a few.... I also wouldn't recommend dropping drug treatment without some serious research.

Bottom line though, you don't want to spend your entire life on drugs (esp. strong ones like steriods) if you can avoid it!

I have had asthma since I was a child and have participating in many sports and one thing is for sure, controlling asthma is very important.

Drugs are not the only way of controlling asthma but should not be discarded completely. In my experience its a combination of good lifestyle and drugs that give the best results. For example I know that when I have very little sleep for a fews days that this will make it easier for asthma attacks to occur. In the winter, very cold air will also cause breathing difficulties. Knowing this I now make sure I listen to my body when I am lacking sleep and also try to prevent being in contact with very cold air (Heck I manage and I live in Canada :)), wearing a scarf over your mouth will help heat the air before it goes in your lungs.

As for drugs usually doctors seem to use combinations of drugs for asthma control. They will prescribe a fast acting brocho dialator for releaving attacks immediately and then prescribe some type of anti-inflammation drug such as flovent (A type of steroid I think?) that should be used at a certain frequency to prevent attacks from occuring.

In my case I take Flovent every day or two in the winter time to prevent attacks. I sometimes will use sabutalmol (Ventolin) to releave an attack caused by allergies (animals,cigarette smoke)

In the summer I usually am able to function without drugs unless I come in contact with allergens. Then I will start taking the flovent again for a while until I stablelise again.

If you rely only on a fast acting inhaler and take very often that is a sign that your asthma might not be under control! Fast Acting Inhaler can also have side effects on the heart as well!

Anyways the moral is check with your doctor especially if you have coughing and spitting caused by asthma. There are no reasons to have to endure these things in modern times.

I don't know about where you live but here in Canada Ventolin (Sabutalmol) costs about 20$ per 200 dose inhaler. Ventolin is more expensive at about 100$ per 200 doses (250mg doses if I remember properly)

For Ventolin the max dosage per day is 4 doses? therefore 200 doses will last you 50 days of consecutive use(which such never happen??) as for Flovent that is 2 doses maximum per day therefore 100 days worth. so if you use 2 Ventolin and 2 Flovent pumps per year that would cost you 240$ CDN ? I'd be interested in knowning how much it costs elsewhere tho ?

(Note: I am not a doctor therefore the above is from my own experience and should not be followed blindly, please refer to you Doctor for their professional advice)

alp!

Originally posted by redstorm
I have had asthma since I was a child and have participating in many sports and one thing is for sure, controlling asthma is very important.

Drugs are not the only way of controlling asthma but should not be discarded completely. In my experience its a combination of good lifestyle and drugs that give the best results. For example I know that when I have very little sleep for a fews days that this will make it easier for asthma attacks to occur. In the winter, very cold air will also cause breathing difficulties. Knowing this I now make sure I listen to my body when I am lacking sleep and also try to prevent being in contact with very cold air (Heck I manage and I live in Canada :)), wearing a scarf over your mouth will help heat the air before it goes in your lungs.

As for drugs usually doctors seem to use combinations of drugs for asthma control. They will prescribe a fast acting brocho dialator for releaving attacks immediately and then prescribe some type of anti-inflammation drug such as flovent (A type of steroid I think?) that should be used at a certain frequency to prevent attacks from occuring.

In my case I take Flovent every day or two in the winter time to prevent attacks. I sometimes will use sabutalmol (Ventolin) to releave an attack caused by allergies (animals,cigarette smoke)

In the summer I usually am able to function without drugs unless I come in contact with allergens. Then I will start taking the flovent again for a while until I stablelise again.

If you rely only on a fast acting inhaler and take very often that is a sign that your asthma might not be under control! Fast Acting Inhaler can also have side effects on the heart as well!

Anyways the moral is check with your doctor especially if you have coughing and spitting caused by asthma. There are no reasons to have to endure these things in modern times.

I don't know about where you live but here in Canada Ventolin (Sabutalmol) costs about 20$ per 200 dose inhaler. Ventolin is more expensive at about 100$ per 200 doses (250mg doses if I remember properly)

For Ventolin the max dosage per day is 4 doses? therefore 200 doses will last you 50 days of consecutive use(which such never happen??) as for Flovent that is 2 doses maximum per day therefore 100 days worth. so if you use 2 Ventolin and 2 Flovent pumps per year that would cost you 240$ CDN ? I'd be interested in knowning how much it costs elsewhere tho ?

(Note: I am not a doctor therefore the above is from my own experience and should not be followed blindly, please refer to you Doctor for their professional advice)

alp!

Ventolin is about 5 euros - 200/100micrograms : dose 1-2 x4 per day .
I use pulmicort ( a gluco-cortcoide ) 200 microgram : dose 100-800 once or twice a day :- 1 dose morning , 2 x evening . cost about 23 euros / 100 doses .

Haveing problems getting over a virus , will see doc ( sports med ) about a change as this is not working out that well .

Originally posted by el Inglés
Ventolin is about 5 euros - 200/100micrograms : dose 1-2 x4 per day .
I use pulmicort ( a gluco-cortcoide ) 200 microgram : dose 100-800 once or twice a day :- 1 dose morning , 2 x evening . cost about 23 euros / 100 doses .

Haveing problems getting over a virus , will see doc ( sports med ) about a change as this is not working out that well .

If I remember correctly from the flovent documentation I think that the medication does have some impact on the immune system and may weaken it a bit! I double check to make sure :)

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

Having said that, I was experiencing fairly significant exercise-induced asthma, particularly after interval training. I would continue to hack and cough for hours after working out. I never thought anything of it, but it drove my wife nuts. She convinced me that I should have it checked out, I did, and got a prescription for something or other. It worked, but I wasn't happy about having to take a medication before every run or ride.

These days I chew two tablets of DGL (De-Glycyrrhizinated Licorice) and take two capsules of ginger every morning. Result? No more coughing and hacking no matter how hard I go.

If you consider this please do some research. Licorice contains a naturally occurring substance known as glycyrrhizin. When consumed, glycyrrhizin has been shown to increase blood pressure and water retention.6 Since DGL has the glycyrrhizin removed, DGL tablets reportedly do not cause these potentially harmful side effects.

Although DGL and ginger are used primarily to alleviate GI distress, both have anti-inflammatory properties. I believe this is what prevents me from experiencing exercise induced asthma.

Originally posted by timdodge
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

Having said that, I was experiencing fairly significant exercise-induced asthma, particularly after interval training. I would continue to hack and cough for hours after working out. I never thought anything of it, but it drove my wife nuts. She convinced me that I should have it checked out, I did, and got a prescription for something or other. It worked, but I wasn't happy about having to take a medication before every run or ride.

These days I chew two tablets of DGL (De-Glycyrrhizinated Licorice) and take two capsules of ginger every morning. Result? No more coughing and hacking no matter how hard I go.

If you consider this please do some research. Licorice contains a naturally occurring substance known as glycyrrhizin. When consumed, glycyrrhizin has been shown to increase blood pressure and water retention.6 Since DGL has the glycyrrhizin removed, DGL tablets reportedly do not cause these potentially harmful side effects.

Although DGL and ginger are used primarily to alleviate GI distress, both have anti-inflammatory properties. I believe this is what prevents me from experiencing exercise induced asthma.

same is said of chlorophyll tablets , thanks .

Don't rely on herbs or pills which aren't standardized. **** up and you are dead and potency varies A LOT.

Best thing I did with my asthma was eliminate milk from my diet.

Originally posted by Chemicalanarchy
Don't rely on herbs or pills which aren't standardized. **** up and you are dead and potency varies A LOT.

What's up with the scare tactics? Most drugs, whether in the form of herbs or pharmaceuticals, will only kill you if you take VERY large doses. So standardization, and there are labs that standardize their herbs, minimizes variations in potency and effectiveness. If your point is to suggest we look for quality labs that produce standardized products, then I am with you. If your point was to scare-monger and suggest that ALL herbs should be avoided, then I think you have gotten some bad science.

FWIW, I think your tag says it all: chemicalanarchy. Most people have an agenda of one sort or another, and yours seems obvious.