Barnett vs. Haynes vs. Zinn

Velo Psycho

Guest
These repair / tech manuals seem to be the most highly regarded.
Anyone have an opinion as to the relative merits of each? Is Barnett's
really worth 8 times the price of the other two (for a home mechanic
who wants to be as DIY as possible)?

"Velo Psycho" <[email protected]> wrote:

>These repair / tech manuals seem to be the most highly regarded.
>Anyone have an opinion as to the relative merits of each? Is Barnett's
>really worth 8 times the price of the other two (for a home mechanic
>who wants to be as DIY as possible)?

Hey, hey, hey . . .

Don't forget Sutherland's and the new Park Tool book:

http://www.sutherlandsbicycle.com/SBSAhandbook.html

http://www.parktool.com/tools/BBB_1.shtml

Just when you thought you had it nearly wrapped up . . . .

:)

Neil Brooks wrote:
> "Velo Psycho" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >These repair / tech manuals seem to be the most highly regarded.
> >Anyone have an opinion as to the relative merits of each? Is

Barnett's
> >really worth 8 times the price of the other two (for a home mechanic
> >who wants to be as DIY as possible)?

> Hey, hey, hey . . .
>
> Don't forget Sutherland's and the new Park Tool book:
>
> http://www.sutherlandsbicycle.com/SBSAhandbook.html
>
> http://www.parktool.com/tools/BBB_1.shtml
>
> Just when you thought you had it nearly wrapped up . . . .
>
> :)

Man... you ask a question on this board... and you get back more
questions!!!! I feel like I am in law school again!

Okay, throw Park and Sutherland in the mix.... now which one of the
five do you all like, and why?

Ok, Haynes and Zinn are both very good for "general" maintenance of
common bikes. Another book that belongs with these two is the Jim
Langley "Bicycle Repair and Maintenance" book from Bicycling Magazine.
Barnett's is much more in depth, and, in my opinion, worth the
money. For a new wheelbuilder, Barnetts is excellent. Also,
Barnetts goes in depth about troubleshooting specific problems and has
lists of suggested (and preferred) tools for each type of task. I
own them all and wish I had bought Barnett's first. I got Barnett's
for $80 (the new edition) on sale, but lately I have not seen it
cheaper than $125.
I don't own Sutherlands, but it goes for ~$190 (!!!). I'd be
interested to hear what the difference is between Sutherlands and
Barnetts. Comments?

Velo Psycho wrote:
> These repair / tech manuals seem to be the most highly regarded.
> Anyone have an opinion as to the relative merits of each? Is
> Barnett's really worth 8 times the price of the other two (for a home
> mechanic who wants to be as DIY as possible)?

Don't limit yourself to just one. There is no such thing as too much
information.

The Zinn, Haynes and Park books are aimed towards the home guys, while
Sutherlands and Barnetts are aimed towards the pro mechanics and can often
be too technical.

Of all of them I have the Park and Haynes books. They tell me virtually
everything I need to know. Some stuff on bikes is done so seldom, or require
special costly tools, that I have my LBS do those jobs.

"Velo Psycho" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> These repair / tech manuals seem to be the most highly regarded.
> Anyone have an opinion as to the relative merits of each? Is Barnett's
> really worth 8 times the price of the other two (for a home mechanic
> who wants to be as DIY as possible)?

If we're talking about Mountain Bikes here most of these books are out of
date within 3 years so I wouldn't spend a lot on an older book. Visit a
library or use online resources.

On 8 Mar 2005 09:42:50 -0800, "Velo Psycho" <[email protected]> wrote:

>These repair / tech manuals seem to be the most highly regarded.
>Anyone have an opinion as to the relative merits of each? Is Barnett's
>really worth 8 times the price of the other two (for a home mechanic
>who wants to be as DIY as possible)?

Depends on your level of expertise and DIYishness.

Barnetts is the badass technical ref.

Zinn is like what you see on the Park website with more explanation and better
illustrations. Good for beginners through intermediate stuff.

I haven't seen the Haynes.

Ron

RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:

>Barnetts is the badass technical ref.

And really--from the perusal of the one copy I saw on the shelves of a
used bookstore in Durango, Colorado--the Sutherland's makes the
Barnett's look like bathroom reading material. Loads of spec's,
compatibility charts, tables, instructions on rebuilding internal
hubs, etc. It looked to me like either a shop asset or one for a
*serious* DIY'er who works on lots of types of bikes. This particular
one, though, was way too old to mean anything to me.

Here's a better link to see what the newer versions contain:
http://www.sutherlandsbicycle.com/7th_Edition.html

I was lucky enough to download a Barnett's back when you could. I
find it less esoteric than the Sutherlands that I saw--more usable. I
really should take the time to just print the whole thing out and
stuff it in a loose-leaf binder but I haven't.

Meanwhile, I just ordered the Park BBB online for $21, delivered.
I've had enough luck with their online instructions to throw a couple
of sawbucks at it.

Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
>>Barnetts is the badass technical ref.

> And really--from the perusal of the one copy I saw on the shelves of a
> used bookstore in Durango, Colorado--the Sutherland's makes the
> Barnett's look like bathroom reading material.

Both Barnett's and Sutherlands are pro level manuals with essentially no
tutorials for beginners. Haynes and Zinn are much better for beginners (and
much cheaper, too).

Velo Psycho wrote:
> These repair / tech manuals seem to be the most highly regarded.
> Anyone have an opinion as to the relative merits of each? Is Barnett's
> really worth 8 times the price of the other two (for a home mechanic
> who wants to be as DIY as possible)?

No opinion on Barnett ( I've only seen a few excerpts) but
clearly Zinn over Haynes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Velo Psycho wrote:
> These repair / tech manuals seem to be the most highly regarded.
> Anyone have an opinion as to the relative merits of each? Is Barnett's
> really worth 8 times the price of the other two (for a home mechanic
> who wants to be as DIY as possible)?

For the home wrench, get the Zinn book.

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
> >>Barnetts is the badass technical ref.

> > And really--from the perusal of the one copy I saw on the

shelves of a
> > used bookstore in Durango, Colorado--the Sutherland's makes

the
> > Barnett's look like bathroom reading material.

> Both Barnett's and Sutherlands are pro level manuals with

essentially no
> tutorials for beginners. Haynes and Zinn are much better for

beginners (and
> much cheaper, too).

Unless Sutherlands has changed format lately, it is not a repair
manual at all. It is a source for technical specifications such
as ERD, flange diameters, bearing size, headset dimension, etc.
It is not a "how to" manual. Before the age of the internet and
SpokeCalc (or an HP calculator and a good formula), it was the
only way you could determine spoke length. Barnets is a how-to
book, albeit geared towards the professional mechanic. I see the
chapters posted here from time to time and wonder how that
qualifies as "fair use" under the copyright laws. -- Jay Beattie.

what about cuthbertson!!

try the world catalog-all the world's library books-
from the local library
then click the blue hyperlink-order this book from another library-
and get the manuals, touring guides, you name it
in an interlibrary loan action.
just bringum back!

"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Unless Sutherlands has changed format lately, it is not a repair
>manual at all. It is a source for technical specifications such
>as ERD, flange diameters, bearing size, headset dimension, etc.
>It is not a "how to" manual. Before the age of the internet and
>SpokeCalc (or an HP calculator and a good formula), it was the
>only way you could determine spoke length.

Now that you mention it--and on another review of their website--I
think you're exactly right, and I don't think that's changed. It's
basically an exhaustive collection of manufacturers' data.

http://www.sutherlandsbicycle.com/7th_Edition.html

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:55:03 -0800, "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>> >
>> > And really--from the perusal of the one copy I saw on the

>shelves of a
>> > used bookstore in Durango, Colorado--the Sutherland's makes

>the
>> > Barnett's look like bathroom reading material.

>> Both Barnett's and Sutherlands are pro level manuals with

>essentially no
>> tutorials for beginners. Haynes and Zinn are much better for

>beginners (and
>> much cheaper, too).

>Unless Sutherlands has changed format lately, it is not a repair
>manual at all. It is a source for technical specifications such
>as ERD, flange diameters, bearing size, headset dimension, etc.
>It is not a "how to" manual. Before the age of the internet and
>SpokeCalc (or an HP calculator and a good formula), it was the
>only way you could determine spoke length. Barnets is a how-to
>book, albeit geared towards the professional mechanic. I see the
>chapters posted here from time to time and wonder how that
>qualifies as "fair use" under the copyright laws. -- Jay Beattie.

Barnett's web site has PDF'd chapters available as samples.

Ron

The new Park book is replacing the Sutherlands handbook as our book of
choice. It has very easy to read explanations and informative pictures.

Josh McClure
Durst Cycles

"RonSonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:55:03 -0800, "Jay Beattie"

<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> Neil Brooks <[email protected]> wrote in
> >> news:[email protected]:

> >shelves of a

makes
> >the
> >>
> >> Both Barnett's and Sutherlands are pro level manuals with

> >essentially no
> >> tutorials for beginners. Haynes and Zinn are much better

for
> >beginners (and
> >> much cheaper, too).

> >Unless Sutherlands has changed format lately, it is not a

repair
> >manual at all. It is a source for technical specifications

such
> >as ERD, flange diameters, bearing size, headset dimension,

etc.
> >It is not a "how to" manual. Before the age of the internet

and
> >SpokeCalc (or an HP calculator and a good formula), it was the
> >only way you could determine spoke length. Barnets is a

how-to
> >book, albeit geared towards the professional mechanic. I see

the
> >chapters posted here from time to time and wonder how that
> >qualifies as "fair use" under the copyright laws. -- Jay

Beattie.

> Barnett's web site has PDF'd chapters available as samples.

Hey, why sell it when you can give it away! If your are
persistent, can you get all of the chapters? -- Jay Beattie.

spin156 wrote:
> Ok, Haynes and Zinn are both very good for "general" maintenance of
> common bikes. Another book that belongs with these two is the Jim
> Langley "Bicycle Repair and Maintenance" book from Bicycling

Magazine.
> Barnett's is much more in depth, and, in my opinion, worth the
> money. For a new wheelbuilder, Barnetts is excellent. Also,
> Barnetts goes in depth about troubleshooting specific problems and

has
> lists of suggested (and preferred) tools for each type of task. I
> own them all and wish I had bought Barnett's first. I got

Barnett's
> for $80 (the new edition) on sale, but lately I have not seen it
> cheaper than $125.
> I don't own Sutherlands, but it goes for ~$190 (!!!). I'd

be
> interested to hear what the difference is between Sutherlands and
> Barnetts. Comments?

I'll second the mention of Jim Langley's book. I don't have the Zinn
book so cannot make a direct comparison. I think Langley's book is
awesome. I've also known him for 25 years and bought my first "real"
bike from him. http://www.jimlangley.net/ . In addition, he's ridden
his bike every day for the last ELEVEN years without missing a single
day. Not that that has much to do with whether his book is good or
not. But he's a great guy, one of my favorites in the bike biz.

Jay Beattie wrote:
> Unless Sutherlands has changed format lately, it is not a repair
> manual at all. It is a source for technical specifications such
> as ERD, flange diameters, bearing size, headset dimension, etc.
> It is not a "how to" manual. Before the age of the internet and
> SpokeCalc (or an HP calculator and a good formula), it was the
> only way you could determine spoke length. Barnets is a how-to
> book, albeit geared towards the professional mechanic. I see the
> chapters posted here from time to time and wonder how that
> qualifies as "fair use" under the copyright laws. -- Jay Beattie.

I just assumed that was outright theft.

I was amazed at the blasé comments here, as if it were
acceptable behavior.