best Muni under $500?

Duncan

Guest
I'm pretty new to unicycling, but I'm in it for the long
haul. I can now free mount my 24" Savage, and ride off road.
I also managed to strip the threads out of my left crank,
where the pedal screws in. I am fixing it, but I feel the
call of a new Muni... So, I'm asking for advice, as I'm
looking to get a Muni, 24" or 26" and I can spend around
$500. I'm 5'10, 165lbs. I will be using it for riding off
road, with my mtn bike friends, and continuing my learning
progression. What are your recommendations for my new Muni?

--
duncan
duncan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6518

definitely kh24

i did about a month of nonstop reasearch on this subject
(looking for munis at a price below 500), and it came down
to the onza 24" and the kh24. i ended up going with the kh24
because it had the 3 inch wheel instead of the 24x2.6 on the
onza. also, there are just a ton of reviews out there on the
internet (of the kh24), and all the buyers were VERY
satisfied and loved their kh24. i was unable to find hardly
any reviews for the onza 24" :(

its pretty amazing that we both had 24" savages and wanted
to upgrade to a muni less than 500$

the kh24 is 449 and the onza is 399, but you just can't go
wrong with the kh24. its got the amazing kh seat that is
constantly raved about; its got a mount for a brake if you
really get serious; the problems about the ankle-biting nubs
has been fixed with the new generation; the wheel is 24x3;
and most importantly its kris holm!! :)

i hope i've convinced you. believe me, i've done all the
research. you can waste a month of your life doing the same
research as me but you'll just come up with the same
answer: the kh24

-grant

--
tennisgh22

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

The 'Kris Holm 24 inch muni'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=619) is the
best choice for a sub $500 muni. Heck, it's the best choice
for a sub $800 muni.

The KH muni is currently out of stock. I believe the new
ones are going to have ankle friendly cranks. The first
generation KH cranks have a nub that sticks out. That nub
can bang up your ankles. The next generation cranks should
fix that problem.

The KH is a strong muni. It will be able to take abuse. For
aggressive riding it can't be beat (at least not in the sub
$500 price range). You can do jumps, do drops, abuse it, and
it will come back for more.

The KH 24 isn't the best muni for all situations. If your
intent is to ride dirt roads and buff trails then a 26" or
29" muni might be better. What makes for the "best" muni
does depend on how and where you're going to ride it. For
most people and for most riding the KH 24 is the best, but
there are situations where a different muni would make
more sense.

What kind of trails are you going to ride? How aggressive do
you plan on getting? Do you want to plow over things or go
for speed? Smooth buff trails or rocky rooty trails? Steep
trails or flat trails? All that makes a difference for
determining what's the best muni.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Have a look at the Yuni/Nimbus; cheaper than the KH by a
long way, but still excellent machines.

They won't stand up to massive drops, but if you don't do
big drops they're good- mines lasted 3 years of pretty much
daily riding on and off road.

Plus, if you get a 28" frame, with the money saved you could
get another wheel (maybe a 29-er with short cranks) for
variety as well as a muni wheel. Plus the essential tools
(eg crank puller etc).

But, if you're wanting the big drops, go for something
stronger.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

The KH24 gets my vote too! Other than breaking the seat
which seems to be common law, it has held up VERY well! I
ride about 15+ miles a week of very rough/rooty trail with
some North Shore stuff and it handles the damage I throw at
it! I'd buy another before I bought anything more expensive.

--
zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

Hi Duncan. Ignore all these previous posts and listen to me. The KH24
is the best Muni under $500.00. :D --chirokid--

--
chirokid - Wolfman 2004: Unicycle Catagory

"Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
quote by Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

ignore everyone's previous post except for chirokid, zod, bugman, john
childs, and myself :)

-grant

--
tennisgh22

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

I would probably have to agree with the others, if price (as
long as it is under $500) is no object.

I am intrigued by an offering at Municycle.com called the
Qu-ax. It has a splined hub/crank set which owners report is
very solid. The frame is a knee-knocker, but the web-site
says it can give you another frame if you like. The fat
frame comes with brake bosses. You can get it with Magura's
and a 3" Gazzalodi for under $500, or brakeless with a 3"
Duro for just under $300.

I had a rim shipped from them not long ago which arrived in
California in under 3 weeks (from Germany). Shipping was
reasonable.

--
elmer - uniimpaired

"At 40 life begins...to show."
elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

Hi,

Lutz wrote:
> *I think the best choice is the Onza, it is lighter than
> the KH, had a 36 splinted hub and you can easy upgrad it
> with a 3.0 inch wheel.
>
> Lutz *

the 24 ONZA comes with a small rim. Not the best chois for a
big 3.0" tire.

Roland

--
wendino - Der Einradladen

'municycle.com - Der Einradladen' (http://municycle.com)
wendino's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/689

vivalargo wrote:
> *The KH25 is the bomb, JL *

yea, if you can find a kh25 get it, cuz its probably
extremely rare and worth a lot. otherwise, get a kh24 ;)

-grant

--

tennisgh22 wrote:
> *
>
> yea, if you can find a kh25 get it, cuz its probably
> extremely rare and worth a lot. otherwise, get a kh24 ;)
>
> -grant *

Right you are. I've got the only one. But I hear the KH24 is
basically the same MUni, just an little smaller than mind.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

wendino wrote:
> *the 24 ONZA comes with a small rim.*
I think it's an Alex double wall jobby, I can't see it
being that bad.

Just choose whichever you think looks shinyest, either one
of them will do the job nicely.

John

--
johnhimsworth - Nullus Anxietas

What if the hokey cokey really is what it's all about?
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

johnhimsworth wrote:
> *Just choose whichever you think looks shinyest, either
> one of them will do the job nicely. *

In which case the onza wins hands down. Just -look- at those
oh-so-shiny cranks! Mmmmmmm.... *dribbles*

I carry a small polishing kit when muni-ing to ensure the
cranks always look their finest. No good getting any of this
dirty mud stuff on them, you know.

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

I now have a KH 24 wheelset on my Yuni frame. This is an
excellent set-up, weighing less than the KH frame. You can
order this frame, a KH seat, and seat-post and a KH wheelset
if you want to save a few bucks. The Yuni frame works great
for one-footing.

I think that the 24" Onza comes with an Alex rim that is
narrower than the DX 32, and that it might not work that
great with a 3" tire, since fat tires on narrower rims tend
to fold on side-hops. I definitely prefer the 3" tires over
the 2.6's or 2.7's

--
elmer - uniimpaired

"At 40 life begins...to show."
elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

It fits with everthing supplied, but the spacers that fit in the larger
KH bearing housings stick out so it looks a bit odd from certain angles
but you don't really notice it when riding. I bent one one on the one
crank grab I'vedone on my muni tho. Still takes nothing away from the
performance. Dunno if you can see this on my 'muni'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuw11) or not.

Oh yeah, I know it's not a Yuni frame, but a Qu-Ax one, but
it's essentially the same and I had a Nimbus II on before
with the same wheel.

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"In conclusion, unicycle... or perish. Because in the real world, you
don't have time to think about a second wheel"
-Zach_Jucha
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

Didn't need spacers.

The bearings have a larger outside diam. than the Yuni is
designed for, but work OK so far. I did need to install
slightly longer bolts through the bearing holders. I tend to
use things as-is until they break. If this kills my
bearings, I'll get new ones.

This wheel-set is one I bought off of DudleyDoRide last
week, with the intention of giving it to my poor bro.-in-
law. But I'm having such fun with it, I might hold it for a
while first. I still have my Wilder frame and Profile set-
up, but the Yuni is fun for one-footing, and feels barely
any heavier than my Wilder/Profile. In fact, if I had ridden
this one first I might not have gotten the Wilder at all!

Also, this KH/Alex DX 32/3" Duro Leopard combo. seems to
grip better when Pecking up hills than my 26" wheel with
Duro tire for some reason. Don't ask me why. And it is
significantly lighter than the GAZZ/Sun
Doublewide/Profile combo.