Bianchi Celeste Paint Color Code

Jeff

Guest
Hi, Does anyone have a DuPont (or any other) paint color code for Celeste? I am getting my
beloved painted and would like some confirmation on my "eyeball the paint chips" method of paint
matching. Thanks.

[email protected] (Jeff) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi, Does anyone have a DuPont (or any other) paint color code for Celeste? I am getting my
> beloved painted and would like some confirmation on my "eyeball the paint chips" method of paint
> matching. Thanks.

<tongueincheek> You mean you have the chance to change from that nasty color and you aren't doing
it? It's amazing to me that something coming from the home of Leonardo and Michelangelo could be
that ugly. </tongueincheek

Celeste- either you love it, or you grow to love it

>Celeste?
>>
>You mean you have the chance to change from that nasty color and you aren't doing it? It's amazing
>to me that something coming from the home of Leonardo and Michelangelo could be that ugly.
></tongueincheek>
>

>Does anyone have a DuPont (or any other) paint color code for Celeste?

Which one? There have been many through the years-some bluer, some greener, some mteallic, some
pearlesent. Take you pick. Phil Brown

In <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Neacalban1) opined:

> Celeste- either you love it, or you grow to love it

Heh. How's this for a recommendation:

I was sooooo happy that my warrantee replacement frame color shifted from straight celeste to the
iridescent version that I decided not to sell it off immediately.

"Iridescent Celeste - it's almost pretty enough to keep!"

(Liberal doses of shimmery dark blue and nifty shark-ish detail decals help a lot too...)

--
Dave Salovesh [email protected]

> Which one? There have been many through the years-some bluer, some greener, some mteallic, some
> pearlesent. Take you pick. Phil Brown

Mines the "greener" non-pearlesent one circa 1980 or so. The bike is a Rekord 748. I've made decals,
and I'm ready to buy the paint. I have a hard time selecting clothes that match and I'd just like
some verification on the color code I've picked.

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 21:38:23 +0000, Jeff wrote:

> Hi, Does anyone have a DuPont (or any other) paint color code for Celeste?

Their trade name for that particular color is "kitty-puke green".

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how. _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

>Celeste- either you love it, or you grow to love it

The first time I saw a celeste Bianchi I thought "How can anyone ride a bike that color?" Then a was
at a Bianchi dealer and decided I wanted a bike that color. Unfortunately the Bianchis I liked did
not come in celeste and the ones that did had those awful camp. shifters.

Phil Brown wrote:
>>Does anyone have a DuPont (or any other) paint color code for Celeste?
>
> Which one? There have been many through the years-some bluer, some greener, some mteallic, some
> pearlesent. Take you pick.

"Through the years?" Bianchi's Celeste will vary batch-by-batch and even bike-by-bike. We have had
mulitple Reparto Corse frames in our shop from the same model year, and they each had a different
shade of Celeste. I think the folks at Bianchi aren't too picky about matching colors. Whatever is
at the bottom of the jug that particular day is fine.

Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com

Celeste is a patented color. I doubt that anyone outside of Bianchi has the exact "code".

The best you can do is have the paint dealer computer match it. This is so close that even when
parked next to a new Bianchi, you won't be able to tell the difference. Especially since paint
colors vary slightly from batch to batch anyway.

In article <[email protected]>, John Forrest Tomlinson
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Celeste is a patented color.
>
>How does one patent a color?

Patenting its production process is probably the only way. I think Chris really means
'trade secret'.

In any event, there are no color codes for Celeste because unlike the auto industry (for example)
Bianchi has no need to share color information with body shops and no need for consistency either.

--Paul

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John Forrest Tomlinson Asked:

> >How does one patent a color?

> I gues the same way Harley Davidson patened a sound. I don't know if HD succedde4d in that or
> not. But i do know that Celeste is a patented (or is it copyrighted?) color. No one else can use
> it for profit.

I'm sorry if what I'm about to write sounds obnoxious, but if you don't understand the difference
between a patent and copyright you've got about zero credibility with me on this topic. Check your
facts and concepts first, please.

JT

PS -- Copyright protection can allow you to stop someone from using your work even if they are not
profiting from it.

[email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> John Forrest Tomlinson Asked:
>
> >How does one patent a color?
>
> >JT
>
> I gues the same way Harley Davidson patened a sound. I don't know if HD succedde4d in that or
> not. But i do know that Celeste is a patented (or is it copyrighted?) color. No one else can use
> it for profit.

Interesting. Last summer, a friend of mine bought a brand-new Cannondale road bike that sure looked
like celeste. And of course, there IS considerable variation in the color. And I've seen others
besides Bianchi use the TERM 'celeste' to refer to their color(s)--which are usually a good deal
bluer than Bianchi's...

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:37:41 GMT, [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, John Forrest Tomlinson
><[email protected]> wrote:
>>"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> Celeste is a patented color.
>>
>>How does one patent a color?
>
>Patenting its production process is probably the only way. I think Chris really means
>'trade secret'.

Yeah, if it was patented, it'd be available at the patent office.

access it. Dammit.

Jasper

Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:

> John Forrest Tomlinson Asked:
>
> >How does one patent a color?
>
> >JT
>
> I gues the same way Harley Davidson patened a sound. I don't know if HD succedde4d in that or
> not. But i do know that Celeste is a patented (or is it copyrighted?) color. No one else can use
> it for profit.

It is probably trademarked, not patented.

The Owens Corning house insulation pink color is trademarked.

Stergios

Andy M-S at [email protected] wrote on 7/10/03 4:28 AM:

>> <snipped> But i do know that Celeste is a patented (or is it copyrighted?) color. No one else can
>> use it for profit.
>
> Interesting. Last summer, a friend of mine bought a brand-new Cannondale road bike that sure
> looked like celeste.

The key phrase in Chriz's claim would be "for profit". I don't believe Cannondale has managed
that... ;^)

-- Jim

Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" at [email protected] wrote on 7/9/03 4:43 PM:

> I gues the same way Harley Davidson patened a sound. I don't know if HD succedde4d in that or not.

Er.. _attempted_ to patent a sound. They were unsuccessful.

> But i do know that Celeste is a patented (or is it copyrighted?) color. No one else can use it
> for profit.

That's a pretty broad claim. Would love to see the facts upon which it is based.

-- Jim