Bike Computers / GPS

cw2864

Oct 1, 2006
I am planning on buying a new bike computer and am thinking of the Garmin Edge 305 with GPS/heart/cadence etc...anybody have one of these with comments on its performance, or any suggestions on something better? thanks-

I just got the 305 bundle, and it is amazing. By far the best one i have tried. Trail maps are pretty accurate (usually within 10-15 feet), and the download feature is really nice. I havn't had enough time to play around with the auto-lap function or the virtual partner, but from what my friends who also have this computer have said it is great.

Another thing i find nice about this one beside the bike functions is that because it is a GPS, you can use it for running/skiing/etc. to get speed, so it is really nice for cross trainning. The only downfall to this is it does not have power. But, it also doesn't have a proce tag of over 1000$ so i guess you cant complain.

All in all, it is really nice.

I have tried the HAC4 aswell, and it is terrible. I had SO many problems with it. Ended up returning it to the distributor for a refund, then bought the Edge. The polar is also a very nice computer, but if your looking for the GPS the 305 is the way to go. The only downside to the polar is the cadence is wired, but the upside is it is a watch so it is a bit easier to handle/view on runs.

G-Force101XTR said:
I just got the 305 bundle, and it is amazing. By far the best one i have tried. Trail maps are pretty accurate (usually within 10-15 feet), and the download feature is really nice. I havn't had enough time to play around with the auto-lap function or the virtual partner, but from what my friends who also have this computer have said it is great.

Another thing i find nice about this one beside the bike functions is that because it is a GPS, you can use it for running/skiing/etc. to get speed, so it is really nice for cross trainning. The only downfall to this is it does not have power. But, it also doesn't have a proce tag of over 1000$ so i guess you cant complain.

All in all, it is really nice.

I have tried the HAC4 aswell, and it is terrible. I had SO many problems with it. Ended up returning it to the distributor for a refund, then bought the Edge. The polar is also a very nice computer, but if your looking for the GPS the 305 is the way to go. The only downside to the polar is the cadence is wired, but the upside is it is a watch so it is a bit easier to handle/view on runs.
I'd also consider the forerunner 305. I have an older model and prefer that as you can also run with it. Definitely also look into the autolap feature. I set mine for 1 mile and then can download all information in mile increments, including avg. speed, elevation, calories burned, etc.

All in all, it's a really nice tool.

Ok- thanks for the guidance. Looks like this is the one I will try to pick up.

cw2864 said:
I am planning on buying a new bike computer and am thinking of the Garmin Edge 305 with GPS/heart/cadence etc...anybody have one of these with comments on its performance, or any suggestions on something better? thanks-

I have it and only used is a few times but I find it extremely accurate, the heart rate monitor is way better than the polar s720i and I find using it with the motionbased website does everything I want. Haven't set on the cadence sensor yet but will do that soon. Especially now, with the motionbased 2 years for the price of one, I think I might even spend the money for that.