Bike (or unicycle) light powered by the bike (or unicycle)

kington99 wrote:

> How large is the capacitor? The smallest ive seen at that capacity are
> used for car stereo applications and are around the size of a drinks
> bottle. Any idea what the dielectric is?

Do a web search on "supercap" & "ultracap". They've had small caps in 1
to 2F range since the early 90s. It's possible back then I actually
knew what the dielectric was, but not the faintest clue now.

Back to the topic, I once bought a german-made spoke-driven generator
light. I saw many other kinds discussed here, but not those. I've also
use magneto hub, tire driven, and think I had a rim-driven generator
light once.

David wrote:

> Back to the topic, I once bought a german-made spoke-driven generator
> light.

I mean mechanically driven by the spokes, as opposed to the magnetic
one discussed earlier.

I assume that Ian's practical advice about bicycle generators is good,
but I can't resist commenting on some of technical details. Please
skip this message if you lack curiosity about how things work or just
don't like physics.

Ian Smith <[email protected]> writes:

> It's normally called a dynamo, though technically it's an alternator.

We usually call them generators in the US. Over here, the term dynamo
typically refers to a DC generator.

> As speed increases, the dynamo generates more power, and does so by
> boosting the voltage without generating much more current.

The current and voltage produced by a generator depend on both speed
and load. With an open circuit, voltage is proportional to speed and
current is zero. When a load is placed across the generator's
terminals, current flows following the usual laws of electronics.
However, that current produces a magnetic field within the generator
which acts to cancel the fixed magnetic field of the stator, in turn
causing the output voltage to drop. For resistive loads, both current
and voltage increase as the generator is sped up, but not in
proportion to the speed.

A light bulb is an interesting device which increases in resistance as
it heats up. This article [http://members.misty.com/don/bulb1.html]
states that power is approximately "proportional to voltage to the 1.4
to 1.55 power." Meaning that current increases roughly with the
square root of voltage. Whether or not this qualifies as "much more
current" depends on your reading of the phrase.

By the way, this property of light bulbs means they tend to be
somewhat self-regulating, because power is less sensitive to voltage
than resistive loads (where power is proportional to voltage squared).

> Expensive
> dynamos have regulators to dump the excess power somewhere safe, but
> cheap dynamos won't, and may be prone to blowing bulbs.

Regulators can either connect the generator to ground or switch it
off. Switching should be preferred here, since connecting the
generator to ground (dumping the power) produces power and heat from
mechanical work done on the generator.

> Also, they have a habit of blowing bulbs in pairs - the dynamo wants
> to generate a set amount of current, and will fluctuate the voltage
> until that much current flows.

That's not quite right. As I said, a generator wants to produce a
voltage proportional to the speed at which it travels, though that
voltage is reduced when the generator is driving a load.

> If you have two bulbs in parallel, and one blows, the dynamo will
> try and put all the current through the one remaining bulb, even if
> that means a sudden dramatic voltage increase.

Actually, if you have two bulbs in parallel and one blows, the current
drops significantly because the resistance of the new (single-bulb)
load is more than twice that of the original (parallel-bulb) load.
The reason the second bulb blows is that the generator reacts to the
reduced load by reducing current, partially restoring the magnetic
field withing the generator, increasing the output voltage and
maintaining output power. With all the power now going through one
bulb, the filament quickly overheats and melts. In summary, the
voltage does spike, sending excessive power through the remaining
bulb, but the reason is not because generators maintain constant
current.

> The other clever circuitry thing to do is build in a small power
> store. Normally a big capacitor.

By the way, these capacitors are called supercapacitors or
ultracapacitors, and are made of carbon (aerogels, nanotubes, etc.)
and an electrolyte without needing a dielectric.

joemarshall wrote:
> http://www.goodbyebatteries.com
>
> http://freelights.co.uk/index.html
>
> Joe

Thanks Joe...another idea I had far too late to make any money out of
it. :)

--
Naomi

Fictional characters are so naive. You would think that, after all this
time, they would know that to invite Poirot or Miss Marple to spend the
weekend was effectively signing their death warrant.
Naomi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3322

On Mon, 6 Nov, kington99 <> wrote:

> Ian Smith wrote:
> >
> > The other clever circuitry thing to do is build in a small power
> > store. Normally a big capacitor. My lights have a 1.5F (yes, one and
> > a half whole Farads) capacitor in the circuit.

> How large is the capacitor? The smallest ive seen at that capacity are
> used for car stereo applications and are around the size of a drinks
> bottle. Any idea what the dielectric is?

It's low current, low voltage, and embedded in a heavily protected
circuit to stop it seeing too much of either. Much lower ratings than
car stereo capacitors. I don't recall the size - from memory it's the
biggest component on the board, but it's not large compared to the
space inside the light - it doesn't increase the bulk of the light.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006, Internet Physics Police <> wrote:

> Ian Smith <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > It's normally called a dynamo, though technically it's an alternator.

> We usually call them generators in the US. Over here, the term dynamo
> typically refers to a DC generator.

Indeed - that's what I meant. In the UK, a dynamo is a DC source. An
AC source is normally a generator if it's producing mains-level
voltages (eg in a power station, or standby units for use in power
cuts) or an alternator if it's low voltage (eg as found on the side of
a car engine). The only exception to this usage is that on bicycles
they are always termed dynamos, even though the ones on bicycles are
always AC.

> > dynamos have regulators to dump the excess power somewhere safe, but
> > cheap dynamos won't, and may be prone to blowing bulbs.

> Regulators can either connect the generator to ground or switch it
> off. Switching should be preferred here, since connecting the
> generator to ground (dumping the power) produces power and heat from
> mechanical work done on the generator.

The problem is when you have a dynamo generating, say, 6W, and bulbs
in the circuit that can only carry 3W without blowing. You can't
switch off, because you need that 3W, so you have to arrange
something.

> > If you have two bulbs in parallel, and one blows, the dynamo will
> > try and put all the current through the one remaining bulb, even if
> > that means a sudden dramatic voltage increase.

> Actually, if you have two bulbs in parallel and one blows, the current
> drops significantly because the resistance of the new (single-bulb)
> load is more than twice that of the original (parallel-bulb) load.

The current through the remaining bulb increases (for a moment, at
least, then it tends to drop to zero).

> The reason the second bulb blows is that the generator reacts to the
> reduced load by reducing current, partially restoring the magnetic
> field withing the generator, increasing the output voltage and
> maintaining output power.

I think you're substantially agreeing with what I said - or are you
claiming that the voltage across the bulb increases but the current
through it does not? (at least until it blows).

regards, Ian SMith

--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

joemarshall wrote:
> http://www.goodbyebatteries.com
>
> http://freelights.co.uk/index.html
>
> Joe

I have the ones from goodbyebatteries.com on my bike and they work
great.
They don't light up the road for you like a real dynamo lamp would
have, but they're very reliable and they make you visible to drivers.
I hear they used to have problems with the ones which keep blinking for
a while when you stop, but I don't know if it has been worked out. I
plan to rig mine with a capasitor myself if I ever get the time.

--
Borges
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

Ian Smith <[email protected]> writes:

> On Mon, 06 Nov 2006, Internet Physics Police <> wrote:
>>
>> Ian Smith <[email protected]> writes:

>> > dynamos have regulators to dump the excess power somewhere safe, but
>> > cheap dynamos won't, and may be prone to blowing bulbs.

>> Regulators can either connect the generator to ground or switch it
>> off. Switching should be preferred here, since connecting the
>> generator to ground (dumping the power) produces power and heat from
>> mechanical work done on the generator.

> The problem is when you have a dynamo generating, say, 6W, and bulbs
> in the circuit that can only carry 3W without blowing. You can't
> switch off, because you need that 3W, so you have to arrange
> something.

The switching in this sort of regulator happens very quickly and the
signal is usually fed through a low-pass filter (capacitor and
inductor) so the load sees a very smooth voltage. Light bulbs are
slow to heat up compared to the spped of most electronics, so average
power regulation is all that is needed. Indeed, the light bulb is
already being fed AC current.

Switching power supplies are very common nowadays. You will find them
in computers, iPods (which use an even more sophisticated switching
conversion to inrease voltage), and even some headlamps (torches). I
would be surprised if the better bicycle lighting systems used
anything else.

Linear regulators which "dump" current would get quite hot at speed.

>> > If you have two bulbs in parallel, and one blows, the dynamo will
>> > try and put all the current through the one remaining bulb, even if
>> > that means a sudden dramatic voltage increase.

>> Actually, if you have two bulbs in parallel and one blows, the current
>> drops significantly because the resistance of the new (single-bulb)
>> load is more than twice that of the original (parallel-bulb) load.

> The current through the remaining bulb increases (for a moment, at
> least, then it tends to drop to zero).

While the remaining bulb sees an increase in current, the generator
actually produces less current, contradicting your assertion that
current would tend to remain constant. Here's why:

Assume the initial voltage is V0 and each bulb has resistance R0.

After the first bulb burns out, the voltage across the new bulb
increases and so does its resistance. Even though the remaining bulb
may never reach a steady state condition, let's pick voltage and
resistance values V1 and R1 at any point after the first bulb fails.
R1 will be greater than R0, because the filament is hotter.

A simple generator cannot produce more power as the load resistance in
increased. The load resistance has more than doubled, going from R0/2
to R1, so we can evaluate the most favorable case, where the
generator's power output is constant.

Before the first failure, current can be calculated using Ohm's law:

C0 = V0/(R0/2) = 2V0/R0

Afterward we have

C1 = V1/R1

Power can be expressed as resistance times current squared. Equating
power before and after yields:
C1^2 * R1 = C0^2 * R0/2

Thus: C1 * sqrt(R1) = C0 * sqrt(R0/2)

so: C1 = (sqrt(R0/R1)/sqrt(2)) * C0

Since R0/R1 is less than zero, we can put an upper bound on C1:

C1 < 0.707 * C0

In other words, the current generated drops significantly after the
first bulb burns out.

What I am trying to explain is that the generator does not "try and
put all the current through the one remaining bulb." On the contrary,
immediately after the burnout, the generator begins to increase its
voltage as current output decreases. As the energy stored inductively
in the generator's coils quickly fades, the current drops to no more
than 0.707 of its original amount, and continues to drop as the light
bulb's temperature increases. The bulb, on the other hand, sees an
increasing voltage, allows more current through itself than before,
and quickly burns out.

Lastly, don't think that the inductance of the generator, which tends
to maintain current output over very short periods of time, will
effect the light bulb. The inductive energy is too small to heat the
light bulb significantly.