Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase wheels

stevebiker

Sep 7, 2009
I'm new to biking, and am looking for a tire that is flat-resistant. I don't want to carry a spare tube.

Someone recommended Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires, but others have said that Bontrager Race Lite "wheels" (different than "tires"?) come out of true and have other reliability issues.

Comments?

I use Bontrager RaceLite Hardcase tires on both of my road bikes. I've had them on my Cannondale for about 1600 miles and on my Paramount for about 200.

I've never had a flat on those tires, but ya never know, maybe I will tomorrow.

I don't think they grip as well in the turns as regular racing tires do, I know when I'm on a hard down hill turn on rough pavement they tend to chatter a bit.

But, since I don't race I don't care about that, although it might matter to you.

Other than that, I think they are good tires...too bad they don't offer them in something other than plain blackwalls. :D

stevebiker said:
I'm new to biking, and am looking for a tire that is flat-resistant. I don't want to carry a spare tube.

Someone recommended Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires, but others have said that Bontrager Race Lite "wheels" (different than "tires"?) come out of true and have other reliability issues.

Comments?

For a 'comment', if you are new to cycling also buy a teeny bag that is slung out of the way under you saddle. Put in there a tube, some tire levers and a patch kit. Weighs almost nuthin. No tire is puncture proof. Add a pump or CO2 and bob's yer uncle. Nothing worse than getting stranded.

Are the Bontrager Harcase tires much heavier than an air tire?

I don't want something that's going to slow me down.

stevebiker said:
Are the Bontrager Harcase tires much heavier than an air tire?

I don't want something that's going to slow me down.

You can read all about them on this link:

Bontrager: Products > >

Like Peter said, I've got a small bag that hooks under my saddle and even though I haven't had any flats while using the hardcase tires, I still carry a spare tube, plastic tire levers, and a CO2 air cartridge.

alienator said:
The best tires are all black.

Yeah, I guess. They do look good on my black Cannondale.

I wish I could have got them with gum sidewalls for my white Paramount though.

64Paramount said:
Yeah, I guess. They do look good on my black Cannondale.

I wish I could have got them with gum sidewalls for my white Paramount though.

Deda Tre and possibly Challenge make gum wall clinchers. Also, I can almost guarantee you can get gum wall clinchers from Rivendell.

alienator said:
Deda Tre and possibly Challenge make gum wall clinchers. Also, I can almost guarantee you can get gum wall clinchers from Rivendell.

Thanks Alien, I'll have to look at those.

I was hoping to get the best of both worlds when I bought tires for that old bike....I wanted them to look vintage, yet have the durability of a tire like the hardcase, but I didn't find what I was looking for when I searched the internet.

So I just bought the blackwall hardcases.

I have been using Bontrager Race Lites tires on my daily ride for several years now and I can't say anything bad about them except that I have to buy them at a Trek store and the closest is an hour away in a horrendous traffic area. I have never flatted any of them but I did cut one once and had to put a patch on the inside of the tire to protect the tube on my way home. They have low rolling resistence and all of the grip that I ever need as a recreational rider. I beleive that they would be good for racing if needed.

Generally when you go to a tire that is made specifically to resist flats, you get a tire that has a bit more rolling resistence and a little less grip. And as has been stated, you can get a flat regardless of what tire you are putting on your bike, so it would be wise for you to carry a tube and/or tube patches plus tire levers and an inflation device(either minipump or CO2 Inflator).