Bring on the cold and dark ...

On 2007-10-26, elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
> Think I'm ready for the winter now ...

I recently got my bike fully illuminated. From the LBS, a 3W Luxeon LED
plus nimh battery front light, which seems to be bright enough for
country roads. On the rear, my homebuilt Luxeon death ray, using the
'steady' mode and a 5% PWM duty cycle to make the brightness appropriate
for darkness. I also got an illuminated retroreflective ankle band, with
an LED at one end, and a light pipe that goes through it. Plus I
attached a load of retroreflective strips to my back pack.

Hopefully I'm lit up like a Christmas tree and no one can claim SMIDSY.

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.

On 26/10/2007 16:38, Alan Braggins said,

(B&M Lumotec IQ Fly N Plus)

> Ooh, are those in stock in the UK now? Or did you go to ebay.de ?

I couldn't find them in the UK at all, or on eBay.anything for that
matter, so I bought from http://www.bikeparts4me.de/ It took a couple of
weeks to arrive, and I needed the aid of
http://translation2.paralink.com/ to understand the site and the
numerous emails as my German is, um, lacking :)

I bought that specific version because I didn't want the automatic
sensor - just a plain on-off switch that worked front and rear lights.

The Basta Ray Steady 800 Standlicht I got from ebay.de though...
(seller laufrad-net, to be precise!)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Am Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:32:26 +0100 schrieb Paul Boyd:

> elyob said the following on 26/10/2007 11:45:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/elyob/1756464283/in/photostream/
>>
>> Think I'm ready for the winter now ...

> That'll do! I've just got me a new light an' all! B&M Lumotec IQ Fly N
> Plus (catchy name, huh?). Flip me that's bright!

So you can get those now? Some weeks ago I saw the first bike models
equipped with the lights as factory default in a German bicycle shop. But
they were not yet selling them separately - still waiting for the orders.
So I just bought a DToplight XS Plus - superb back light. My ancient 10
year old Lumotec round with Halogen bulb is in need for replacement.

Andreas

Alan Braggins wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Paul Boyd wrote:
>> That'll do! I've just got me a new light an' all! B&M Lumotec IQ Fly N
>> Plus (catchy name, huh?). Flip me that's bright!

> Ooh, are those in stock in the UK now? Or did you go to ebay.de ?

DotBike seem to have them listed on their website but no idea if they
have them in stock for dispatch.
http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP4015.aspx

I ordered mine from ebay.de (seller:eek:s-bikes), and is a great upgrade
from the normal round lumotec.

renum wrote:
> Alan Braggins wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>, Paul Boyd wrote:
>>> That'll do! I've just got me a new light an' all! B&M Lumotec IQ Fly
>>> N Plus (catchy name, huh?). Flip me that's bright!

>> Ooh, are those in stock in the UK now? Or did you go to ebay.de ?

> DotBike seem to have them listed on their website but no idea if they
> have them in stock for dispatch.
> http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP4015.aspx

They say "Usually dispatched in 4-6 working days". I ordered one from
them a week ago, and its not been dispatched yet. I'll email them
shortly to ask what's happening.

If ordering from Germany, I notice Bike24 have them in stock. And the
website is in English: http://www.bike24.com/

Just mildly curious, and I'm not losing sleep over this, but are these
lights actually legal in the UK? My Basta Ray Steady is marked
BS6102/3, but the IQ Fly isn't although it has the relevant EU markings.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd twisted the electrons to say:
> Just mildly curious, and I'm not losing sleep over this, but are these
> lights actually legal in the UK? My Basta Ray Steady is marked
> BS6102/3, but the IQ Fly isn't although it has the relevant EU markings.

There's a EU directive (which I can't remember the name of ATM) which
basically states that bicycle lights which are legal in any EU country
are legal in all other EU countries. Doubtless someone will along
shortly with a more accurate description, or possibly a URL ...

..

> There's a EU directive (which I can't remember the name of ATM) which
> basically states that bicycle lights which are legal in any EU country
> are legal in all other EU countries. Doubtless someone will along
> shortly with a more accurate description, or possibly a URL ...

There is some stuff on the following website:
http://www.leedscyclists.org.uk/legal.htm

"You must have front and rear lamps, pedal reflectors and a red rear
reflector. These must meet either BSI 'Kitemark' standards (BS6102/3
Part 1 (Reflectors) Part 2 (Lights)), or the equivalent Euro
standard."

What the equivalent Euro standard is I have no idea but as I cycle in
Austria a lot it might be a good idea to find out. I haven't been
cycling around at night out there mainly because I haven't got any
lights yet and it is absolutely pitch black.
I want a light for cross-country skiing at night..... so maybe I can
get something suitable for the bike and the skis.... any suggestions
welcome.

Em

Just bought my IQ fly senso+ for hub-dynamo from dotbike, so they DO
have them in stock now.
Took 5 days to arrive, so not really too bad.

Nat.