Broken Collar Bone

I broke mine when I was 29 in a motorcycle accident. My
break was almost dead center but the two ends ended up very
far apart. I wore a clavicle harness for 7 months during
which time the two piece formed a fibrous union. It took 3
years for everything to pull together and calcify. It was
kind of weird feeling-- after it formed the union, while it
was healing, the bone was flexible at the union. I had to be
careful lifting or exerting myself or my collar bone would
seem to bend.

Steve

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 2.5 years and my collar bone is healed about 50%. For most
> of that time,
it
> had only healed 20%. My non-union is fairly rare, but it
> was the last 1"
of

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 [email protected] wrote:

> You'll
> be surp-
> rised
> that
> sneezes
> that are
> otherwi-
> se unsu-
> ppressi-
> ble are
> easily
> suppres-
> sed if
> you have
> cracked
> rib.
> It's
> hard to
> believe
> but
> that's
> what I
> and
> friends
> have ex-
> perienc-
> ed.

I always wondered how car and motorcycle racers, or airplane
pilots for that matter, can avoid sneezes. Would you go
further to say that they naturally repress any temptation?

Sergio Pisa

Sergio Servadio writes:

>> You'll be surprised that sneezes that are otherwise
>> insuppressible are easily suppressed if you have a
>> cracked rib. It's hard to believe but that's what I and
>> friends have experienced.

> I always wondered how car and motorcycle racers, or
> airplane pilots for that matter, can avoid sneezes. Would
> you go further to say that they naturally repress any
> temptation?

They don't. Sneezes are not so disturbing that they
interfere significantly with these processes. My point is
that the induced pain from just inhaling suddenly for a
sneeze, suppresses it in a way otherwise unimaginable.
Try it it you doubt that. Of course you'll need to crack
a rib first.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

Terry :

I wanted to follow up with you on this thread since you
mentioned you were a Doctor and ALSO since you
mentioned swimming.

I broke my collarbone (about 2/3 of the way toward the
shoulder from the sternum) May 6th (and a rib too) in a bike
crash. I had a follow-up X-Ray May 28th - which showed no
healing yet, but I had improved flexibility, less swelling,
and virtually no pain. I participate in Triathlons , so all
three sports were important to me. After 8 days from the
accident - I started riding the indoor bike. On 5/28 The
Ortho allowed me to resume "easy" running, as long as there
was no pain. this has progressed well...only problem being a
pain in my shoulder joint about 4-5 miles into my runs (I
assume it's from holding my arm up for so long - something I
hadn't done for 3 weeks).

Now I am contemplating swimming - and I saw your post about
your return to swimming. My next appointment (and follow-up
X-Ray) isn't until June 21st - but I'm anxious to hit the
pool just to 'try it out', and swim REALLY easy. I wonder if
you have any thoughts on this issue you could share.

Thanks

Dan Brown [email protected]

p.s. Could you email me off-list (I ususally don't
lurk here)

news:<[email protected]>...

DhBrown99 wrote:

>Terry :
>
>I wanted to follow up with you on this thread since you
>mentioned you were a Doctor and ALSO since you mentioned
>swimming.
>
>I broke my collarbone (about 2/3 of the way toward the
>shoulder from the sternum) May 6th (and a rib too) in a
>bike crash. I had a follow-up X-Ray May 28th - which showed
>no healing yet, but I had improved flexibility, less
>swelling, and virtually no pain. I participate in
>Triathlons , so all three sports were important to me.
>After 8 days from the accident - I started riding the
>indoor bike. On 5/28 The Ortho allowed me to resume "easy"
>running, as long as there was no pain. this has progressed
>well...only problem being a pain in my shoulder joint about
>4-5 miles into my runs (I assume it's from holding my arm
>up for so long - something I hadn't done for 3 weeks).
>
>Now I am contemplating swimming - and I saw your post about
>your return to swimming. My next appointment (and follow-up
>X-Ray) isn't until June 21st - but I'm anxious to hit the
>pool just to 'try it out', and swim REALLY easy. I wonder
>if you have any thoughts on this issue you could share.
>
>Thanks
>
>Dan Brown [email protected]
>
>p.s. Could you email me off-list (I ususally don't lurk
> here)

I'd appreciate it if any information was shared here in
the group.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com

> That cracked rib has really given me the most pain.)

Jepp, it is ***********, just got one on Mallorca riding on
skinny tires. Got caught in a race bike trap, a drainage
with wide enough slots for my front wheel to sink down
between and come to an instant stop with me falling over the
bar. Fortunately, my speed was very low, we were going off
the road down to a beach. Miracelously my low count spoke
wheel did not get untrue. Presently, I can´t cough or laugh.
Some positions really hurts bad. And, drainages got a new
scary dimension.

> (How is Germany in early September? I know the alps can be
> impassible by then. Maybe I should rethink and go
> somewhere like Crete at that
time.)

It really depends on the weather. I would say most of the
Alps and Germany are quite OK normal years, though it will
be less fun as most Europeans have returned to their jobs.
Camping places etc will be rather quite.

We have been climbing in early September and it has been
just fine. And, we been at Furka in central Switzerland in
Mid-July, and it was worse than the Himalayan monsoon, a
constant cold drizzle.

Per http://lowdin.nu

Sergio Servadio writes:

>> You'll be surprised that sneezes that are otherwise
>> insuppressible are easily suppressed if you have a
>> cracked rib. It's hard to believe but that's what I and
>> friends have experienced.

> I always wondered how car and motorcycle racers, or
> airplane pilots for that matter, can avoid sneezes.

I have not been able to do that otherwise. It is the short
circuit reaction of the body, to my thinking, that cancels
the need to sneeze, the need to sneeze being of a lower
order than the pain the action causes. I have had no control
over that response.

I don't find sneezing or blinking the eyes a serious
interruption of control while operating a vehicle. It would
be different with a sensitive, light touch, operation such
as watch repair, where blowing the whole project away is
even possible.

> Would you go further to say that they naturally repress
> any temptation?

To what sort of "temptation" are you referring?

I'm talking about the need to sneeze and that isn't
voluntary or from temptation. It is auto-response of the
body, and one that the body can cancel as I said.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]