Broken titanium clavicle plate

RMK

Aug 18, 2010
Hello, I'm new to this forum. Broke my collarbone the end of May (got "doored" biking to work), had a titanium plate and screws put in June 11 because of non-union. About eight weeks after surgery woke up to tight neck muscles on that side, then as the day went on it started to swell up...physical therapist thought it might be tight trapezius pulling on the collarbone...This was a Monday, and I had a follow up scheduled with my surgeon on Wednesday...went in for an xray and to my disbelief the plate is broken in half. Doctor says it's highly unusual, and I asked how it could happen and he said "you're an active person"...Has anyone ever had this happen to them or heard of it? Thanks!

RMK said:
Hello, I'm new to this forum. Broke my collarbone the end of May (got "doored" biking to work), had a titanium plate and screws put in June 11 because of non-union. About eight weeks after surgery woke up to tight neck muscles on that side, then as the day went on it started to swell up...physical therapist thought it might be tight trapezius pulling on the collarbone...This was a Monday, and I had a follow up scheduled with my surgeon on Wednesday...went in for an xray and to my disbelief the plate is broken in half. Doctor says it's highly unusual, and I asked how it could happen and he said "you're an active person"...Has anyone ever had this happen to them or heard of it? Thanks!

I've heard of it a lot. Heck, I have a titanium rod in my right tibia, and while the bone was healing, I was warned about being careful, that I could bend that rod. A lot of folks don't realize how big the forces can be with which the human skeleton has to deal.

I had a stainless steel plate installed in January 08... last week my collarbone started hurting and by Sunday, it was "popping." I saw the doc yesterday (wed) and I too broke my clavicle plate.

Wow, almost three years later!? Unbelievable! Mine is not titanium as I assumed, it is also stainless. I've seen two doctors since it broke, and both of them said the doctor that did the surgery put in a plate that was too thin and too small (for an active person, especially). One of them recommended that I do not have another surgery -- I went last week for a follow up xray and they see bone growth, so I'm leaving it...What are you going to do about yours? Do they want you to have it removed and do they think your bone is ok?

Yep, almost 3 years. And I thought I was all healed up. I opted to leave the plate in there. I actually don't ride bicycles, I race dirt bikes (but this was the only forum I found that had anything about broken plates)... so I too am very active. The weird part is that I've raced many races since April 08 and I even went on a 250 mile dirt bike ride in June and had no problems at all.
I have surgery scheduled for Wed ... the doctor said he is concerned that the bone isn't healed so he recommended that they take the plate out and put a new, longer one in with longer screws. He also wants to do a synthetic bone graft and put me on meds that promote bone growth. I am more leaning toward having them take it out and I will heal on my own...maybe hook me up with those bone growth meds. Now I want to know... shouldn't this be under warranty?
yeah right...
Christy

Ugh -- such a hard decision. I had 2 doctors recommend a longer plate and bone graft as well. And a 3rd doc that said no surgery. I hope I'm making the right choice too. If they remove the plate & screws and let you heal on your own, what about all the holes going through the bone from the screws?

I didn't even know anything about bone growth meds! I have been wearing a bone growth stimulator almost 24/7 since mid August. Who knows if it's really working, but at this point if it's not surgery I'll try it. Let me know what you decide to do, and good luck Wednesday!
Rachel

I never knew that you could break a titanium insert in your body. I thought titanium was ultra strong. Is it from the bone growing back and healing that pushed the plate apart? -Bella Vega, Golden Rule

Apparently, what I thought was titanium is actually stainless steel. The doctor compared it to a paperclip, where any repetitive bending would eventually break it. In my case, he put a very small and thin plate in, to make it look better -- unfortunately mine broke after 8 weeks. So I don't think it was the bone growth that caused the break - but who knows. Very frustrating!

Originally Posted by RMK .

Ugh -- such a hard decision. I had 2 doctors recommend a longer plate and bone graft as well. And a 3rd doc that said no surgery. I hope I'm making the right choice too. If they remove the plate & screws and let you heal on your own, what about all the holes going through the bone from the screws?

I didn't even know anything about bone growth meds! I have been wearing a bone growth stimulator almost 24/7 since mid August. Who knows if it's really working, but at this point if it's not surgery I'll try it. Let me know what you decide to do, and good luck Wednesday!
Rachel
I would go the no surgery route if the doc that recommended said you would be ok with no ill effects either from the metal or from the bone or from physical activity bother it. Surgery is evasive and when you do more on top of what was already done scar tissue will form larger then before and can cause more problems then if you had just left it alone. BUT make sure of all of this and any other problems you can think of first with doctors.

Also keep in mind that doctors make money by doing surgeries, thus their more likely to want to do a surgery that may not be necessary, that's why I'm leaning towards the doc that said no surgery, he may be giving the only honest answer.

Hi, OK I'm back from surgery. NOT my favorite pass time...
The doctor took out the old broken plate and put a new one in. He said that my bone hasn't been healing (yes, for 3 years) and instead my bone "thinks" it's a joint now...and he found joint fluid where the new bone growth should be.... not sure about all that... but his reason for the plate breaking is because the bone never grew back it stayed flexible...so was the plate pretending to be a hinge? I picked up the old plate, and it looks like it's been broken for a while (smooth at the breaking point, not jagged like a new break).
So he did not do the bone graft. ...and apparently I misunderstood the "bone growth" meds, it's actually the same machine talked about earlier in this thread. He told me to go to my local health food store and get a calcium supplement also.
My tip to all ...don't break bones. It's no bueno.
xo
Christy

Now we know more, it was good you had the surgery. It's also good your home and feeling better. Do everything the saw bones tells you this time.

I'm new too. I broke my jaw in a bicycle accident in Oct. 2010 Had 2 titanium places placed on both sides of my jaw in November. In May my surgeon discovered that the plates had both broken. Now my bite has shifted and it is uncomfortable to eat. I am going there to be seen again tomorrow. Not sure what they will do. My thinking is replace them? I dread the idea of another surgery.

Great to read your story. Last June I also had a fracture to my left clavical and was fitted with a titainium fixator and to my surprise it also broke in two at about eight weeks after surgery.nine months on after the crash date I've received the second fixator and am now healing fast .I was also told that I must have over done things ! As I now can catogorically coment as an experienced recipient I will say this . Like all trades men there are good and bad . I believe that for sure my second surgeon was a far more skilled .If you can try to get relevant information as to these skill levels before the event .

These are the downsides to operating on a clavicle Vs conservative management. Although the same can happen without surgery. I regret none of you posted your stories In the " broken clavicle " thread. Most of the posts there said that surgery ( and plating) was the way to go. So you guys now have non-unions and require bone grafts and have a lower chance of healing. So by operating you risk infection, anesthesia problems, non-unions, nerve damage , the painful bone graft procedure. You should go to that thread and post your experience so others can make a more informed decision. I do hope you all get better, sucks to have a chronic injury. Dave

my son had the same surgery in January '12...and just started with pain again August '12.. x-ray yesterday shows two broken screws and one starting to unscrew towards the top and the plate is lifting up and rubbing his skin causing the pain... how could this happen?? did not think titanium could break or bend.. any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated... very frustrated!!

Originally Posted by micpowers .

my son had the same surgery in January '12...and just started with pain again August '12.. x-ray yesterday shows two broken screws and one starting to unscrew towards the top and the plate is lifting up and rubbing his skin causing the pain... how could this happen?? did not think titanium could break or bend.. any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated... very frustrated!!
how is it possible to have Non-Union even with the surgery?
Did he have x-rays in February? March? What did they show? Did they show the two parts form a Union? or not?

Originally Posted by slowfoot .

These are the downsides to operating on a clavicle Vs conservative management. Although the same can happen without surgery.
I regret none of you posted your stories In the " broken clavicle " thread.
Most of the posts there said that surgery ( and plating) was the way to go.
So you guys now have non-unions and require bone grafts and have a lower chance of healing.
So by operating you risk infection, anesthesia problems, non-unions, nerve damage , the painful bone graft procedure.
You should go to that thread and post your experience so others can make a more informed decision.
I do hope you all get better, sucks to have a chronic injury.
Dave

in my opinion all those non-unions even with the surgery is BAD medical practice.
Simply, the Doctor did not do his job properly.
Non-unions can happen when soft tissue of the surrounding area of the fracture site intervenes between the two bones.
It is Doctor's job to clean the fracture site and make sure that no soft tissue will enter there.
If he does not do it correctly non-union will happen.

Bad medical practices we have in many cases this does not mean that we must avoid doctors, instead we better find a Doctor with good reputation.

This is an other reason to have your plate/screws eventually removed after a certain period of time because in the second operation your Doctor will be able to check thoroughly if a perfect Union has taken place or not.

micpowers said:
Uhm, every material flexes. You wouldn't want a totally rigid plate or anything as they would be incredibly brittle. Second, yes plates can break. It happens enough that it's not rare. Motorcycle racers and cyclists are two groups who manage to break plates on clavicle fractures--as well as other types of fractures. Hell, I had a titanium rod placed in my right tibia after a motorcycle racing crash. It was driven into my head by my orthopedic surgeon--and his advice was confirmed by other arthropods--that until the bone healed, I could, if careless, break or bend the rod. Because of the type of fracture and the surgeries done, that meant for nearly 1.5 years, the possibility existed to break or bend the rod. Of course, even after the bone heals, it's still possible to break plates and rods. All it takes is the proper force (magnitude, direction, and point of application) to break or bend such a device.

willy81 said:
in my opinion all those non-unions even with the surgery is BAD medical practice. Simply, the Doctor did not do his job properly. Non-unions can happen when soft tissue of the surrounding area of the fracture site intervenes between the two bones. It is Doctor's job to clean the fracture site and make sure that no soft tissue will enter there. If he does not do it correctly non-union will happen. Bad medical practices we have in many cases this does not mean that we must avoid doctors, instead we better find a Doctor with good reputation. This is an other reason to have your plate/screws eventually removed after a certain period of time because in the second operation your Doctor will be able to check thoroughly if a perfect Union has taken place or not.
First, let's reinforce to the peanut gallery that you are not a doctor, so what you know about the treatment of non-unions and the possibility of a plate (or other such device) to break is very limited at best and more likely seriously flawed. First, it is entirely possible and not at all rare for non-unions to not heal when plated or otherwise treated. This happens a lot more than you know. Why it happens is the result of many things: other injuries incurred in accident; patient medical history; conditions resulting from surgery, and on and on and on. Things like decreased circulation, swelling, diseases that slow healing, compartment syndrome, and even things as simple as the type of fracture affect how something will heal and if it will need further intervention (surgical or otherwise). Moreover, surgery itself can slow or impede healing. Surgery can disrupt blood flow in the periosteum, the bone layer that is essential in healing of a fracture. THIS is a big reason why orthopods aren't always eager to jump in and start cutting. It's entirely possible that a bad break will heal more slowly after surgery than it would have otherwise. Every screw, drill bit, or summat that goes through a bone disrupts that periosteum and potentially slows healing or disrupts such that more intervention is needed. Second, metal plates, rods, and other bits, can and do break and bend. It is rather common occurrence, for instance, for motorcycle racers and bicycle racers to break clavicle plates, even without crashing again. I've seen reported more than enough. I've had happen to friends. People--and specifically you--likely have very little concept of the large forces and moments that can be placed on a component of a human skeleton, let alone on orthopedic hardware. I was repeatedly warned by orthopod about the possibility of me breaking or bending a titanium rod that had been hammered into intermedullary space of my, at the time, 7 piece tibia. It was hammered into me that until the bone healed the risk of such a mechanical failure was high. It was hammered into me that the it was not an uncommon thing. Feel free to google intermeduallary tibia rod and compare it's dimensions with that of a plate for a clavicle. Granted the forces and moments on that rod are likely a lot more than on a clavicle plate, but don't be so quick to poo-poo and discount the magnitude of the forces and moments that can be generated on a clavicle plate. There is absolutely no reason at all to leap to an accusation of malpractice in the case of a plate breaking or a non-union occurring, especially when you have no medical training. Non-unions as mentioned before are absolutely not-uncommon. There are many reasons for a non-union to occur, and almost all of them have nothing to do with medical error. I lived with a tibial non-union for 1.5 years, through five surgeries, including the placement of a rod, the placement of an internal bone-growth stimulator, the removal of rod screws to make my rod dynamic (allowing my lower tibia to slide up and down on the rod as I walked to increase bone production at fracture sites), and placement of bone grafts, all because of the etiology of my injury. Mine is just one instance of a non-union that had absolutely nothing to do with malpractice. I'd suggest that you limit your "advice" and medical pronouncements to those things which actually have factual basis.