Carbon forks again

David E. Belcher

Guest
Following on from my post of November '05 (it's a good while since I
last posted anything on here!) re. Ambrosio's threaded carbon forks,
and as a cheaper route to follow for an upgrade - anyone have a 1"
threaded carbon fork surplus to requirements that they're looking to
sell on now that threadless set-ups are more fashionable? If so, drop
me a line at
[email protected]. As a guide to size, my road frame has a
(roughly) 21cm headtube & headset is a Stronglight A9. Sensible price
paid for good-quality item in decent nick (no crash damage!) incl. UK
postage, or can collect if in easy reach of Leeds. Rest of road bike
should (at long last!) be back in business by the end of next week
after bike shop had a bit of a struggle to source unusual-sized
stainless spokes to rebuild the Gipiemme T-Quattros (may explain why
Gipiemme resorted to cheapo non-stainless spokes in the first place??).
Hope all on u.r.c had a good Christmas/New Year - not too many
bike-related gifts for me this time around, but did get a nice new
track pump (worn-out Zefal one of some years' standing finally in the
bin)!

Thanks in advance for feedback,
David Belcher

"David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Following on from my post of November '05 (it's a good while since I
> last posted anything on here!) re. Ambrosio's threaded carbon forks,
> and as a cheaper route to follow for an upgrade - anyone have a 1"
> threaded carbon fork surplus to requirements that they're looking to
> sell on now that threadless set-ups are more fashionable? If so, drop
> me a line at

I asked my personal bike mechanic if we had such a thing. His response was
"Do they make such items?"

I dunno... personal bike mechanics are not what they used to be..

So can't help from this bit of deepest rural Norfolk I'm afraid.

Cheers, helen s

David E. Belcher wrote:
> Following on from my post of November '05 (it's a good while since I
> last posted anything on here!) re. Ambrosio's threaded carbon forks,
> and as a cheaper route to follow for an upgrade - anyone have a 1"
> threaded carbon fork surplus to requirements that they're looking to
> sell on now that threadless set-ups are more fashionable? If so, drop
> me a line at
> [email protected]. As a guide to size, my road frame has a
> (roughly) 21cm headtube & headset is a Stronglight A9. Sensible price
> paid for good-quality item in decent nick (no crash damage!) incl. UK
> postage, or can collect if in easy reach of Leeds.

If you're desperate it's not impossible to thread a threadless fork,
provided it has a steel steerer

Rest of road bike
> should (at long last!) be back in business by the end of next week
> after bike shop had a bit of a struggle to source unusual-sized
> stainless spokes to rebuild the Gipiemme T-Quattros (may explain why
> Gipiemme resorted to cheapo non-stainless spokes in the first place??)

wouldn't think so, if you need a weeks worth of spokes you can get any
lenght you want. Cost, forgetting to order in time or customs trouble is
more likely
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

in message <[email protected]>, David
E. Belcher ('[email protected]') wrote:

> (no crash damage!)

My frame has just come back from Dolan's, with a new set of forks. While
the old forks are superficially perfect, neither I nor the good Mr Dolan
are very keen to have their structural integrity tested in anger. Crash
damage to carbon forks is not necessarily easy to detect.

;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

wafflycat wrote:
> "David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Following on from my post of November '05 (it's a good while since I
>> last posted anything on here!) re. Ambrosio's threaded carbon forks,
>> and as a cheaper route to follow for an upgrade - anyone have a 1"
>> threaded carbon fork surplus to requirements that they're looking to
>> sell on now that threadless set-ups are more fashionable? If so, drop
>> me a line at

> I asked my personal bike mechanic if we had such a thing. His
> response was "Do they make such items?"

I think they have done but they're few and far between. I would seriously
consider converting to a threadless headset & stem to increase choice of
forks.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> wafflycat wrote:
> > I asked my personal bike mechanic if we had such a thing. His
> > response was "Do they make such items?"

> I think they have done but they're few and far between.

Only two models I'm aware of currently on sale are from Acor and
Ambrosio, both in the 80 quid bracket. Some of the cheaper Giants may
use a threaded CF fork (or at least 2005's models did), but probably
not on sale as a separate item.

David E. Belcher

David E. Belcher wrote:

> and as a cheaper route to follow for an upgrade - anyone have a 1"
> threaded carbon fork surplus to requirements that they're looking to
> sell on now that threadless set-ups are more fashionable? If so, drop

I've got one in my bits box that I was going to sell on ebay at some point.

It's a Time Sprint folk I believe. Nice. Mild rust on the steel steerer
but it's never been crashed and is in good nick. A small amount of time
with some steel wool would make it look nice again.

I'll measure it up tonight.

Arhtur

--
Arthur Clune

in message <[email protected]>, David
E. Belcher ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> wafflycat wrote:
>> > I asked my personal bike mechanic if we had such a thing. His
>> > response was "Do they make such items?"

>> I think they have done but they're few and far between.

> Only two models I'm aware of currently on sale are from Acor and
> Ambrosio, both in the 80 quid bracket. Some of the cheaper Giants may
> use a threaded CF fork (or at least 2005's models did), but probably
> not on sale as a separate item.

My LBS was able to get a replacement carbon crosser fork for a Giant
cross bike, after one of the brake studs had got damaged; so they do
keep some spares.

;; If you're doing this for fun, do what seems fun. If you're
;; doing it for money, stop now.
;; Rainer Deyke