Carbon Forks

Proton

Guest
I have a TREK 1500 model year 2000 and want to upgrade the
forks to Carbon following the complete failure of a friend's
similar alu front fork (it completely sheared through on the
London to Brighton ride last week).

A few questions:

- the headset is "Aheadset" - will this be 1 1/8" ?
- any recomendations as to makes of Carbon forks to go for ?
- annything else I need to consider before buying some forks
mail order ?

Thanks, Phil.

proton wrote:
> I have a TREK 1500 model year 2000 and want to upgrade the
> forks to Carbon following the complete failure of a
> friend's similar alu front fork (it completely sheared
> through on the London to Brighton ride last week).
>
> A few questions:
>
> - the headset is "Aheadset" - will this be 1 1/8" ?
> - any recomendations as to makes of Carbon forks to
> go for ?
> - annything else I need to consider before buying some
> forks mail order ?

Carbon forks are going to be lighter, rather than stronger.
I'd say the forks probably sheared due to a maintenance /
design fault rather than because alu forks in general aren't
up to the job. If alu / magnesium forks weren't up to any
hammer, downhill mountain bikers would be something of an
endangered species.