Chewing Gum on tire

Tom Parker

Guest
After riding through a parking lot I noticed a big glob of sticky chewing gum on my front tire. I
scraped off what I could,and then tried riding for a while on a dirt/gravel trail. That resulted in
more debris sticking to the gum, which I also scraped off, but there is still a bunch of gum
embedded into the tire grooves.

Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

Tom Parker <[email protected]> wrote:

> After riding through a parking lot I noticed a big glob of sticky chewing gum on my front tire. I
> scraped off what I could,and then tried riding for a while on a dirt/gravel trail. That resulted
> in more debris sticking to the gum, which I also scraped off, but there is still a bunch of gum
> embedded into the tire grooves.
>
> Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

I've heard that ice can be used to chill the gum, making it harder and less sticky so it can be
removed. Don't know if that would work in tire grooves though. Wait till winter, and even if it
doesn't go away you probably won't care any more.

--
Ray Heindl (remove the X to reply)

Tom wrote:
> After riding through a parking lot I noticed a big glob of sticky chewing gum on my front tire. I
> scraped off what I could,and then tried riding for a while on a dirt/gravel trail. That resulted
> in more debris sticking to the gum, which I also scraped off, but there is still a bunch of gum
> embedded into the tire grooves.
>
> Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

Freeze it as best you can (remove tire, fold up, keep in freezer? Or apply an ice cube) and then
pick out the stiff little bits. HTH

--Karen M. hey, it works for carpets!

Use a product call Goo Gone. It removed very sticky tree sap from my shoes and pedals, and might be
able to remove chewing gum.

Jiyang Chen

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:11:26 GMT, Tom Parker <[email protected]> said:

>Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

By licking it off and chewing it and trying to blow the World's Biggest Bubble.

--

I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative! ----- http://members.iglou.com/bandit ------

Check out my blog blogga blog at http://bandit73.pitas.com

Say NO to Ernie "Hey Bert" Fletcher! Vote for the other bozo! Better yet, don't vote at all! It just
encourages the jerks!

> Freeze it as best you can (remove tire, fold up, keep in freezer? Or apply an ice cube) and
> then pick out the stiff little bits. HTH

Karen: Another secret trick is to use masking tape. Works wonders on glue, gum, all sorts of things
like that. Definitely works great on clothing, not so sure about carpet.

news:[email protected]...

"Burn Gum! It Melts!" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:11:26 GMT, Tom Parker <[email protected]> said:
>
> >Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

Another trick to try is a rag soaked in vegetable oil. This usually works really well on other
adhesives like the goop used to keep stickers on. It might work with gum as well.

-Buck

Tom Parker wrote:
> After riding through a parking lot I noticed a big glob of sticky chewing gum on my front tire. I
> scraped off what I could,and then tried riding for a while on a dirt/gravel trail. That resulted
> in more debris sticking to the gum, which I also scraped off, but there is still a bunch of gum
> embedded into the tire grooves.
>
> Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

WD40 and a screwdriver.

~PB

Tom Parker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> After riding through a parking lot I noticed a big glob of sticky chewing gum on my front tire. I
> scraped off what I could,and then tried riding for a while on a dirt/gravel trail. That resulted
> in more debris sticking to the gum, which I also scraped off, but there is still a bunch of gum
> embedded into the tire grooves.
>
> Is there a good way to get this gunk out?

OK, this will sound goofy, but . . . try a cheese cutter. Specifically, the kind that has a wire
strung across with a roller behind it. Works great to get tar off, I haven't tried it on gum
specifically. No solvents and won't hurt the tire.

"Tom Parker" <[email protected]> wrote:
> After riding through a parking lot I noticed a big glob of sticky chewing gum on my front tire.

The sticky gum should significantly improve traction on slick surfaces. If the glob bothers you,
coat the rest of the tire in gum so that the glob does not stick out.

-Mike

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:11:26 GMT, Tom Parker <[email protected]> wrote:

>After riding through a parking lot I noticed a big glob of sticky chewing gum on my front tire. I
>scraped off what I could,and then tried riding for a while on a dirt/gravel trail.

I just leave it there, next to the dog and horse ****. It eventually works it's way out.

Barry