Ciocc

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>... [snip]
> >>I'm not persuaded by the "poker-face" explanation. I doubt that the game of poker was even much
> >>known in Bergamo in the '70s (or whenever the company originated).
>
> > [snip]
> Carl Fogel wrote:
> > See your doubt and raise you. While the translator may have led me astray, Giovanni Guareschi's
> > Don Camillo stories set in the post-war Po valley through the early 1960's featured the burly
> > priest and communist mayor playing poker enthusiastically (and cheating wildly), possibly a
> > legacy of the Allied invasion. It'll cost you five chips to call and find out the name of the
> > story--am I bluffing? (I've always wanted to play poker by mail. Chess by mail was so tame.)
>
> My favorite of the genre is "Christ stopped at Eboli". A good read and curious to this Italian-
> American learning about Italians.

Dear Andrew,

Here's a nice site:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/doncamillo/genintro.htm

The FAQ mentions that only 132 of the 347 stories were translated. On the one hand, maybe we got the
cream. On the other hand, that's what we thought about Vivaldi until the rest of the concertos were
discovered.

Carl Fogel

> Carl Fogel wrote:
>
> > Dear John,
> >
> > See your doubt and raise you.
> >
> > While the translator may have led me astray, Giovanni Guareschi's Don Camillo stories set in the
> > post-war Po valley through the early 1960's featured the burly priest and communist mayor
> > playing poker enthusiastically (and cheating wildly), possibly a legacy of the Allied invasion.
> >
> > It'll cost you five chips to call and find out the name of the story--am I bluffing?...
>
> Dear Carl,
>
> Does the loser have to drink a bottle of castor oil?
>
> Tom Sherman – Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

Dear Tom,

No, I see you using an empty shotgun to force both John and me to ride recumbents in a parade,
dressed as Indians.

Carl Fogel

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
s so tame.)

> My favorite of the genre is "Christ stopped at Eboli". A good read and curious to this Italian-
> American learning about Italians.

You might try one of Tim Parks' books. "Italian Neighbors" is a great insight into the Italian way
of living.

For $10, I don't think you'll be disappointed: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0802140343/qid=1073114841/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-
2032158-2681540?v=glance&s=books

Scott-

"****" <dickwise@ no-spam adelphia.net> began this thread by writing
in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ciocc, Could someone tell me the proper pronuncation of this frame. Thanks

Well, after a full week and some fifty messages, the answer seems to be pretty clear.

"No".

Peter Storey

Sergio Servadio writes:

> If anyone is really serious about it, and not dragging this discussion on and on just for the sake
> of argueing, produce me Ciocc Company's telephone number. I'll call them up and solve the mistery.

> If anyone really cares ... .

How about the Italian Ciocc representative:

Tre G Racing Pool Srl Via Pasubio nr. 62 36036 Torrebellevicino Vicenza tel 0445-660211 FAX 0445-
660243 e-mail: [email protected]

Per ogni tipo di informatione dubbio, curiosit? INVINCI UNA E_MAIL

[email protected] cicli_ciocc@libero,it http://www.ciocc.it/

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

Tom Ace wrote:
> It could be rhymed with the word at http://tinyurl.com/2vvks

I didn't even know that was a word in English.

That word dot com is reserved by TUCOWS (??) and some *** in Florida has spent some time developing
the concept: http://www.biotch.net/