Commuter bike? Giant Innova? CRX? FCR? OCR?

moommoom

Oct 5, 2005
Hi,

Im looking at getting a new bike and commuting alot. Also I want the bike for general fitness too.

Most my communiting is on road, over grass in parks and off the occasional gutter.

I am 6ft 7inch and I weigh 120kg so I need a bike that would suit my size and weight.

I think I would prefer flat barred bikes for an upright style.

Budget not a problem.

Main reason for bike is commuting lots and fitness.

What could be the best option for me?

I have recenlty been reading alot and seem to think Giant Innova or CRX1 or OCR1 could be options for me.

Giant Innova?
Giant CRX1? (Is the CRX1 the same as FCR1 that sell in UK and USA that dont exist in Australia?)
Giant OCR1?

I noticed the Innova's tyres are wider than the CRX1's tyres.

Which bike would you suggest for me also willing to hear of any other options in other brands.

Any help would be greatful.

Thanks.

I would recomend none of the above. All bikes have a gross weight, Rider+load+bike, those on your list top out around 120kg.

Look for a steel frame MTB or a trekking bike. I had a Felt Trevisa until recently rated at 130kg. Some Trek MTBs have a high rating.

Ok, here we go:

OCR: forget it - you're too heavy for this bike. Sure, you could ride it, but those wheels with skinny 23 or 25 mm tires (depending on the model) won't last many commutes.... These bikes are built for roads and preferably smooth roads only. They feature skinny tires, and a bit too much carbon (depending on the model) for a commuter... You won't be able to fit tires bigger than 28 mm.

CRX: a bit better option for you in my opinion. At least you'll be able to fit some strong tires. I'm not 100% sure but you may be able to fit something like 32mm tires on these - would be great for commuting - you'll still go fast, but you'll have that extra protection when hitting potholes or whatever you'll bump into when commuting.

Innova: may be a good choice for commuting. I don't know much about this bike though. Ask how much load it can take - you need something strong!

One more bike you should have a look at:
Mongoose Randonneur EX. I think this one comes with dynamo hub standard - great for commuting. It's got that strong frame, strong wheels, and comes well equipped for the price. Another one to check out: Fuji touring - this one has real steel frame, but I don't know how good the wheels are...

Don't worry if the sales person labels some bikes as "fitness" and others whatever else. That's just a marketing trick how to sell flat-bar road bikes. You'll get fit on any bike just by riding it often. Get the bike you think will be reliable. Ride it often and you'll see how fit you'll get!

moommoom said:
Hi,

Im looking at getting a new bike and commuting alot. Also I want the bike for general fitness too.

Most my communiting is on road, over grass in parks and off the occasional gutter.

I am 6ft 7inch and I weigh 120kg so I need a bike that would suit my size and weight.

Budget not a problem.

Main reason for bike is commuting lots and fitness.

What could be the best option for me?

I have recenlty been reading alot and seem to think Giant Innova or CRX1 or OCR1 could be options for me.

Giant Innova?
Giant CRX1? (Is the CRX1 the same as FCR1 that sell in UK and USA that dont exist in Australia?)
Giant OCR1?

I noticed the Innova's tyres are wider than the CRX1's tyres.

Which bike would you suggest for me also willing to hear of any other options in other brands.

Any help would be greatful.

Thanks.

cluster blaster said:
OCR: <snip> You won't be able to fit tires bigger than 28 mm.

CRX: <snip> I'm not 100% sure but you may be able to fit something like 32mm tires on these
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the OCR and CRX frames were identical (only difference being the flat bars and componentry), so tyre clearance shouldn't differ between the two models.

moommoom said:

Sounds ideal for a really heavy person, lets ensure that all my weight is on the seat.

I assume that you want this too hurt, because no pain no gain, right..

I assume that you don't have a girlfriend, wife or significant other that will care about your impotence.

i vote for a CRX 1 cause i love mine

i use it for commuting and group rides... no probs keeping up

Innova is great for the occasional rider or heavier touring... it would be definitely slower than the CRX but quicker than a MTB

OCR is great if you're back is good... seat is harder than the CRX... ie less comfy

the orbea range also has some interesting tourers which have dynamo lights and racks

how much are you planning to carry on your commute, is there off road dirt on your commute and are you planning to do any unsupported touring?

nerdag said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the OCR and CRX frames were identical (only difference being the flat bars and componentry), so tyre clearance shouldn't differ between the two models.
CRX has more tire clearance. Its fork is also more stout when compared to OCR. They come with 28 mm tires standard and from what I saw I think one sould be able to fit 32mm tires. It is also equipped with V-brakes and that also gives more tire clearance than the dual-pivot brakes on OCR. With 28 mm tires there should be enough clearance to fit those nice full-lenth SKS fenders on CRX -- essential feature for a commuter bike!

Depending on the model, OCR will come with 23 or 25mm tires and you won't be able to fit anything wider than 28 for sure - the fork is just too narrow.

cluster blaster said:
CRX has more tire clearance. Its fork is also more stout when compared to OCR. They come with 28 mm tires standard and from what I saw I think one sould be able to fit 32mm tires. It is also equipped with V-brakes and that also gives more tire clearance than the dual-pivot brakes on OCR. With 28 mm tires there should be enough clearance to fit those nice full-lenth SKS fenders on CRX -- essential feature for a commuter bike!

Depending on the model, OCR will come with 23 or 25mm tires and you won't be able to fit anything wider than 28 for sure - the fork is just too narrow.
just to confirm, yes there is more than enough tyre clearance for my Michelin Transworld 700Cx32C on my CRX1... I run these on the back because I ride on a short bit of dirt on my commute

IMO fenders look a little daggy, but it does save your clothes from being soaked with dirt if it rains... also it would've stopped that dog poo from flicking up on my leg :p

cluster blaster said:
Ok, here we go:

OCR: forget it - you're too heavy for this bike. Sure, you could ride it, but those wheels with skinny 23 or 25 mm tires (depending on the model) won't last many commutes.... These bikes are built for roads and preferably smooth roads only. They feature skinny tires, and a bit too much carbon (depending on the model) for a commuter... You won't be able to fit tires bigger than 28 mm.
Too much carbon?? I have yet to hear anyone classifying this as a fault.

I agree with George in that you should look at a mountain bike. You will be too heavy for most if not all of the flat bar or drop bar road bikes, particularly for commuting on bad roads and over gutters. Having said that, I have noted that the Avanti Blade range, or at least the 2003 range, is very heavily built.
You would be best putting lower profile, high pressure slicks on an MTB if this were your choice.
A touring bike would also suit, but will be harder to find.

Yeah, consider a mountain bike seriously. The models higher than recreational riding, eg the Giant XtC series are very versatile. You can fit smooth skinnier tyres for road riding, while the bike is still light enough to make road riding a pleasure. Then with beefier tyres you can leave the road and pound some trails. There are also very good all-round tyres with a smooth section in the middle for the road, with knbbies on the shoulders to aid on the gravel. This design is so good that it has been copied by just about every tyre manufacturer.

jur said:
Yeah, consider a mountain bike seriously. The models higher than recreational riding, eg the Giant XtC series are very versatile. You can fit smooth skinnier tyres for road riding, while the bike is still light enough to make road riding a pleasure. Then with beefier tyres you can leave the road and pound some trails. There are also very good all-round tyres with a smooth section in the middle for the road, with knbbies on the shoulders to aid on the gravel. This design is so good that it has been copied by just about every tyre manufacturer.
Hi Jur,
Would you know what the Giant XtC weighs in at?

How would the Giant Alias compare with the XtC? I read from the Giatn website that they have the same geometry as the XtC, and same frame material. Is the difference just in the componetry?

thomas_cho said:
Hi Jur,
Would you know what the Giant XtC weighs in at?

How would the Giant Alias compare with the XtC? I read from the Giatn website that they have the same geometry as the XtC, and same frame material. Is the difference just in the componetry?
Actually I don't have the weight. I do know that they tip the scales at around 11kg.

In fact the alias and XtC 3 don't have the same frame, that's sales talk; when you look at the frame details for the XtC 3, it mentions the frame as one of the upgrades over the Alias. It's merely the geometry that's the same. The XtC zero, 1, 2 & 3 all have the same frame. Looking at the specs, it is cleasr that you get very little extra bang for your buck for the XtC upgrades.

A buddy has the 2006 Yukon; I was disappointed by the weight (feels like 12-13kg) and the low end componentry.

jur said:
Actually I don't have the weight. I do know that they tip the scales at around 11kg.

In fact the alias and XtC 3 don't have the same frame, that's sales talk; when you look at the frame details for the XtC 3, it mentions the frame as one of the upgrades over the Alias. It's merely the geometry that's the same. The XtC zero, 1, 2 & 3 all have the same frame. Looking at the specs, it is cleasr that you get very little extra bang for your buck for the XtC upgrades.

A buddy has the 2006 Yukon; I was disappointed by the weight (feels like 12-13kg) and the low end componentry.
my mate has an 06 XTC2... sweet bike but no comparison to road bike speed on the road

i think the gearing on MTBs don't allow it to run with road bikes

robalert said:
i think the gearing on MTBs don't allow it to run with road bikes
Mostly they do. The XtC has a top gear of 44x11 (ratio of 4), this corresponds roughly to 53x14 including the bigger wheel diameter. On roadies, the 53x12 is mostly used on fast downhills, even the 53x14 is a bit hight for level riding and suitable cadence. So once you have skinny slicks on the lightweight MTB, it will be no slouch on the tarmac.

moommoom said:
Hi,

Im looking at getting a new bike and commuting alot. Also I want the bike for general fitness too...

[snip]

Thanks.

I have both a mountain bike and a road bike and recently upgraded from a Giant Farrago cross bike which I had put on better wheels/tyres and componentry to a 2005 Giant TCR2 run-out model.

A substantial reduction in weight, a great climber, accelerates well and my 20km commute is now effortless. If you had any decent sort of distance to commute, then my advice would be a road bike.

However in your case, you weight is not suitable for a light weight road bike. My suggestion would be to get the lightest mountain bike possible, preferably only with a front suspension fork with lock-out and a set of skinny tyres for the road. When you go bush, you can then change to knobbly tyres and have great fun.

James

robalert said:
just to confirm, yes there is more than enough tyre clearance for my Michelin Transworld 700Cx32C on my CRX1... I run these on the back because I ride on a short bit of dirt on my commute

IMO fenders look a little daggy, but it does save your clothes from being soaked with dirt if it rains... also it would've stopped that dog poo from flicking up on my leg :p
I also ride 32's. Great for commuting and fast enough to keep with the bunch of social riders. I cannot complain. Pitty the new "drop-bar" bikes are so impractical when it comes to tire clearance.

I also considered fenders daggy. When I was a kid my bikes always came with fenders and I hated it. I used to chop them to pieces, slowly - piece by piece so my parents would not notice how much I took care of my new bike :))

Now, some years later, when I started to commute, I realised that some fenders would be nice - something to protect my back side from the dog poo... And so I went from "dirt boards" to "mudguards" and ended up with full-length fenders - SKS. The full length SKS are the best so far and the only ones that actually do work. I ride in the rain and do not have mud behind my ears. I would never go back to those "clip-on" things that do not work. I have also noticed that the fashion police don't ride much when it rains :))

cluster blaster said:
I also ride 32's. Great for commuting and fast enough to keep with the bunch of social riders. I cannot complain. Pitty the new "drop-bar" bikes are so impractical when it comes to tire clearance.

I also considered fenders daggy. When I was a kid my bikes always came with fenders and I hated it. I used to chop them to pieces, slowly - piece by piece so my parents would not notice how much I took care of my new bike :))

Now, some years later, when I started to commute, I realised that some fenders would be nice - something to protect my back side from the dog poo... And so I went from "dirt boards" to "mudguards" and ended up with full-length fenders - SKS. The full length SKS are the best so far and the only ones that actually do work. I ride in the rain and do not have mud behind my ears. I would never go back to those "clip-on" things that do not work. I have also noticed that the fashion police don't ride much when it rains :))
thanks for the review of the SKS...

I was planning to get some on my MTB

not many shops seems to stock them... may just need to order them from the netti site

yes, they are daggy, but i suppose that makes them less steal worthy

jur said:
Mostly they do. The XtC has a top gear of 44x11 (ratio of 4), this corresponds roughly to 53x14 including the bigger wheel diameter. On roadies, the 53x12 is mostly used on fast downhills, even the 53x14 is a bit hight for level riding and suitable cadence. So once you have skinny slicks on the lightweight MTB, it will be no slouch on the tarmac.
fair enough...

just when you ride my CRX1 vs my friends slicked up XTC2 (it has lockout), the CRX1 seems so much more effortless on climbs and able to maintain a better speed on flats

would it be the rim size or gearing?