corsican walks

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dave Small, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Dave Small

    Dave Small Guest

    I am looking for any information on walks on the island of
    Corsica. I am going there in Sept. 04. First hand knowledge
    would be ideal.

    Dave.

    Tags:

  2. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 1/4/04 10:16 pm, in article 406c876e_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com,
    "Dave Small" <davesmall45@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    > I am looking for any information on walks on the island of
    > Corsica. I am going there in Sept. 04. First hand
    > knowledge would be ideal.

    Not been there myself but I have just bought the Cicerone
    Guide of Long and Short walks in Corsica which looks
    quite good.

    --
    Andy Howell Birmingham, UK

  3. David Millen

    David Millen Guest

    On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:16:34 +0100, "Dave Small"
    <davesmall45@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >I am looking for any information on walks on the island of
    >Corsica. I am going there in Sept. 04. First hand knowledge
    >would be ideal.

    Assuming you understand some French, have a lurk in
    alt.fr.montagne where there are some knowledgeable folk.

    And please share the knowledge and if possible a TR here
    for non-French speakers once you get back. Corsica's been
    on my hit-list as well, having recently completed the
    Pyrenees coast-to-coast.

    --
    All the best David Millen Xativa, Valencia please reply in
    group if you have to email me, remove the obvious:

    Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
    Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  4. Dave Small wrote

    > I am looking for any information on walks on the island of
    > Corsica. I am going there in Sept. 04. First hand
    > knowledge would be ideal.

    u.r.w Corsica threads ...

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N25414BE7

    Wonderful place. Drop me an email if this isn't enough.

    Chris
    --
    Cressbrook on the web
    http://www.cressbrook.net

  5. Harbinger

    Harbinger Guest

    On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:16:34 +0100, "Dave Small"
    <davesmall45@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >I am looking for any information on walks on the island of
    >Corsica. I am going there in Sept. 04. First hand knowledge
    >would be ideal.

    Try and get up to Corté, the walks and climbs around there
    are fabulous and you could take a stroll up to Monte
    Rotondo. I did some of my 'Alpiniste Militaire' training
    around there and I have fond memories of climbing / walking
    / skiing above the clouds and generally having a good time.
    I was based for a year in the barracks below the town so I
    am biased.

    In the event that you get there, go down to the barracks
    and hook a left into the area opposite the guard house.
    There you will see many interesting sights such as an
    underground prison for wayward Legionnaires and various
    obstacle courses (it is a nice walk through Domaine St
    Jean). The guy in charge of the prison during the 70's /
    80's, was English ('Cpl Chef' Dickman) [would never speak
    to me in English even though I outranked him]. He returned
    to France to his retirement and subsequent pension and his
    head was found in a dustbin at Marseille's old port, it
    seemed that he had been not forgotten by the former
    denizens of his little oubliette. The old barracks in the
    town (vacated by the Legion in the 70's) is an impressive
    site and dominates the area, Place Paoli is a good place
    for a Pizza and a beer.

    Bonifaccio and Calvi are other places that I know and that
    are handy for a good walk and a good social life, do not go
    to Calvi if you are averse to meeting Legion paras!!

    The Island itself is wonderful, the people are lovely and
    there are so many brilliant places to see that your breath
    should be taken away at times.

    I hope you have a wonderful trip, you could be climbing
    amongst the snow and swimming in the Med, all on the same
    day (at this time of year).

    --

    Please take the piss out of deemon when sending an e-mail.

  6. Harbinger

    Harbinger Guest

    On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 12:11:36 +0200, David Millen
    <dmillen@newsfeeds.com> wrote:

    >Assuming you understand some French, have a lurk in
    >alt.fr.montagne where there are some knowledgeable folk.

    True.

    >And please share the knowledge and if possible a TR here
    >for non-French speakers once you get back. Corsica's been
    >on my hit-list as well, having recently completed the
    >Pyrenees coast-to-coast.

    I could hunt out some info and translate it if you want, I
    spent a lot of my formative years tramping the highways and
    byways of Corsica (prior to Uni. beer gut, kids etc.).

    Linguistically speaking you should be ok with either French
    or Italian over there.

    --

    Please take the piss out of deemon when sending an e-mail.

  7. Boo

    Boo Guest

    > a TR here for non-French speakers once you get back.
    > Corsica's been on my hit-list as well, having recently
    > completed the Pyrenees coast-to-coast.

    I'd be interested to see a tr for your Pyreneean c2c, or a
    pointer to a website if you've put one up ?

    --
    Boo

  8. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 4/4/04 12:32 am, in article c4otba$4pd$4@news8.svr.pol.co.uk, "Boo"
    <boo@spam_me_no_spam.net> wrote:

    >> a TR here for non-French speakers once you get back.
    >> Corsica's been on my hit-list as well, having recently
    >> completed the Pyrenees coast-to-coast.
    >
    > I'd be interested to see a tr for your Pyreneean c2c, or a
    > pointer to a website if you've put one up ?

    The Pyrenean coast to coast is well worth considering. We're
    talking the GR10 here (se Cicerone guide) but there is a
    higher route that shadows it which is quite exciting.

    --
    Andy Howell Birmingham, UK

  9. David Millen

    David Millen Guest

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 00:32:36 +0100, Boo <boo@spam_me_no_spam.net>
    wrote:
    >I'd be interested to see a tr for your Pyreneean c2c, or a
    >pointer to a website if you've put one up ?
    I must confess to having done the c2c over a period of
    years, a week or 2 at a time, because of constraints on my
    free time; each year we picked up at the exact point we'd
    previously reached. Because of this, and my laziness and
    relative non-computerishness, there's no website and no TR.
    However, anyone who wants to know more about a particular
    section/area is more than welcome to ask, and I'll answer as
    well as I can, either in-group, or by email if it becomes
    too boringly specific for the group.

    I developed a preference for the GR11 (the Spanish version
    of the GR10) and the HRP (which stays as high as it can,
    ignoring borders), but Francophiles will think differently.
    I would certainly invest in all three routebooks before
    setting out on any serious attempt to complete the c2c.

    I'm back in one of my favourite bits in mid-June, east of
    Sant Maurici and west of Andorra. Wave at the UK-registered
    blue V8 LandRover!

    --
    All the best David Millen Xativa, Valencia please reply in
    group if you have to email me, remove the obvious:
    davidtheobvious@millen.com

    Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
    Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  10. Ros

    Ros Guest

    "Chris Gilbert" <chris_gilbert@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<02hbc.103$MQ2.66@newsfe2-gui.server.ntli.net>...
    > Dave Small wrote
    >
    > > I am looking for any information on walks on the island
    > > of Corsica. I am going there in Sept. 04. First hand
    > > knowledge would be ideal.
    >
    > u.r.w Corsica threads ...
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?N25414BE7
    >
    > Wonderful place. Drop me an email if this isn't enough.
    >
    > Chris

    I live in Corsica and the following could be helpful:
    - Landscapes of Corsica by Noel Rochford, A Sunflower
    Countryside book
    - Walks in Corsica, in the series "Footpaths of Europe"
    published by Robertson McCarta If you read French:
    - Ballades nature en Corse published by the Parc Naturel
    Régional de Corse, and easily available when you get here.
    - Randonnée Découverte, Corse entre Mer et Montagne, also
    published by the Parc Naturel. The Parc Naturel Régional,
    2 rue Major Lambroschini, 20000 Ajaccio, will also
    probably supply you with leaflets or look at their
    website: www.parc-naturel-corse.com.

    Are you fixed for accommodation? Have a look at my website
    too, it gives details of a house up in a mountain village,
    ideal for a walking holiday: www.corsicaconnect.com.

    If there is any other info you need, just let me know. All
    the best for your stay in Corsica Ros

Share This Page