Cycling At Night - Do You?

Night cycling I do it mainly in the summer, but not on main roads. When I do, I give big importance to visibility.

I love nighttime yeah. It kind of sucks to be at risk of an accident, but reflectors and lights drop the risk enough that I'll take the risk for the cool air and calm quietness...I hate the sounds of cars so much sometimes :(

Yes, absolutely and personally I actually find it much safer to ride at night. There tends to be less traffic on the roads, less going on, it's much more peaceful and much less hectic. It's actually a much more enjoyable experience in my opinion. You don't have all these distractions going on around you so yes, I do very much go cycling at night and I enjoy it more too.

I think a lot us going to depend on where your living aswell though, and sometimes, even though it might be more peaceful with less traffic, it can still be very dangerous to be out in your own at night cycling or not.

There is no truth to the statements of anyone that claims it is safer. Visibility is a major issue. Even when proper lighting is used it is a serious risk factor that can not just be discounted for lighter traffic. The very idea of going into it with less concern in regards to traffic can put you at more risk.

Lots of thieves at night where I come from. I'd rather not risk it and get my bike stolen, or me killed. It's in a university belt, but it's more of just streets as far as the eye can see, poorly lit sidewalks, and pretty suspicious rest stops. I'd rather live, thank you very much. People here ride their bikes, but only on mornings, enjoying the cool crisp air and all that. Throughout the day it would be incredibly hot, so there's no way you'd risk sun burn just to sweat on your bike for thirty minutes. So that leaves just the morning rides. It's pretty fun, less people walking, less cars driving by.

Sure, many might might enjoy to ride at night, but let's face it, at that time we are usually resting.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with enjoying a ride at night. It's just that there are two types of people into this that drive me nuts. First is the group of nimrods that think it is okay to ride at night without any sort of light whatsoever. Second is the group of people that think it's actually safer to be riding in the dark and end up causing accidents or getting hurt because they don't pay attention to traffic. They don't think there's going to be any traffic so they don't bother to watch for it. Otherwise I don't really have an issue with it.

Sure, many might might enjoy to ride at night, but let's face it, at that time we are usually resting.

We? Nah man, I have no set sleep schedule anymore. If your life goes crazy and off the rails, sometimes you just gotta get your 2 hours of sleep and call it a day. There's no real choice beyond that point, you just get up and start going. 2 am, 3 am, doesn't matter. Routine is not for everyone at all times :D

Reactions: oportosanto
I wish I could just sleep just two hours a day, if I don't sleep more I get really tired the next day! :)

Have fun with night riding! Remember to keep all your security measures checked. Rear lights, luminiscent helmet and clothes. Even bring a flashight with you in case you fall from your bike near a very dark place.

Have fun with night riding! Remember to keep all your security measures checked. Rear lights, luminiscent helmet and clothes. Even bring a flashight with you in case you fall from your bike near a very dark place.

You forgot a head light. Cycling at night without one is less than intelligent.

A head light is important, but if the bike has everything else we will be ok too I believe.

I do but I'm always very cautious when I do so. I never do it without proper safety gear and making sure all night time drivers can see me. I also try to avoid roads as much as possible. I tend to like cycling at night better cause its more quiet.

I decided to go out for a night ride last night. Although I understand the dangers, I will admit is was fun.

For one, I have a decent light set for the bike. I also wore a reflective vest. I did 14 miles, and averaged 16.7mph which I thought was pretty good considering seeing the road obstacles called potholes was interesting. I hit a few of them going around 20, and had to stop and re-adjust the lights and check out the bike. I'm in a rural area, so there were long stretches of no cars coming. I was on the lookout for deer though.

I never thought I'd ride at night, but now am enjoying it.
I would never ride at night, mostly because I live in a much more urban area and it seems way too dangerous. Even with reflective gear, people around here don't pay much attention. It can get a little iffy riding during the day let alone at night.

I appreciate riding in the dusk because you get the cooler air, but you also get some daylight and avoid a lot of the danger of night riding. I know that reflectors held a lot, but I am not really brave enough to ride at night. I feel like I might hit something. That's actually a bigger fear for me than being hit.

I appreciate riding in the dusk because you get the cooler air, but you also get some daylight and avoid a lot of the danger of night riding. I know that reflectors held a lot, but I am not really brave enough to ride at night. I feel like I might hit something. That's actually a bigger fear for me than being hit.

Make sure you know the territory and have your lights, you have eyes! I don't see what you mean by fear of hitting something, it's not that hard to not hit things when you can see them and know where you are, promise ;)

That is what lights are for... I hope you weren't talking about riding without them.

No, it won't. A headlight being left out is just ridiculous. Reflectors and tail lights don't help you see where you are going and they don't do much for oncoming traffic.

Actually I do have a headlight in mine, it's portable so I can put it in any bike I am riding.