Cycling wrong way up one way streets to be made legal

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 22:36:28 -0700 (PDT), Nuxx Bar
> <[email protected]> said in
> <87515cac-809e-4530-8991-18a61fdd83b6@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:
>
>> ...except when it's motorists safely exceeding the speed limit

> Oxymoron.

No, just a plain moron ;)

On 5 Jun, 10:03, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 23:03:07 -0700 (PDT), Nuxx Bar
> <[email protected]> said in
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >this is an anti-motorist newsgroup

> In your mind.  Actually it is (and the clue here is in the name) a
> *pro-cycling* newsgroup.  Now I know that in the minds of obsessive
> petrolheads anything other than exclusive and uncritical adulation
> for all things car equates to being anti-motorist, but most of us in
> this newsgroup see no such dichotomy.  Most of us are motorists, in
> fact.  We don't see the need to be anti one thing in order to be pro
> another, because unlike you (and, to be fair, a good many other
> drivers), we don't view the road primarily as a battleground.
>
> Guy
> --
> May contain traces of irony.  Contents liable to settle after posting.http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
>
> 85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Motorists are certainly seen as the "opposition" though, which makes
the newsgroup anti motorist by definition. Personally I don't see the
road as a battleground, but perhaps thats because I don't live in a
city

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:29:27 -0700 (PDT), Sir Jeremy
<[email protected]> said in
<b91c4943-1a19-4ce1-8cf6-5c1e509a0b9d@l64g2000hse.googlegroups.com>:

>Motorists are certainly seen as the "opposition" though, which makes
>the newsgroup anti motorist by definition. Personally I don't see the
>road as a battleground, but perhaps thats because I don't live in a
>city

Depends entirely on context. It seems to be mainly the non-cyclists
who insist on drawing up battle lines, as I said, most of us in this
NG *are* motorists.

Guy

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 5 Jun, 10:03, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 23:03:07 -0700 (PDT), Nuxx Bar
>> <[email protected]> said in
>> <[email protected]>:
>>
>> >this is an anti-motorist newsgroup

>> In your mind.  Actually it is (and the clue here is in the name) a
>> *pro-cycling* newsgroup.  Now I know that in the minds of obsessive
>> petrolheads anything other than exclusive and uncritical adulation
>> for all things car equates to being anti-motorist, but most of us in
>> this newsgroup see no such dichotomy.  Most of us are motorists, in
>> fact.  We don't see the need to be anti one thing in order to be pro
>> another, because unlike you (and, to be fair, a good many other
>> drivers), we don't view the road primarily as a battleground.
>>
>> Guy
>> --
>> May contain traces of irony.  Contents liable to settle after posting.http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
>>
>> 85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

>Motorists are certainly seen as the "opposition" though, which makes
>the newsgroup anti motorist by definition. Personally I don't see the
>road as a battleground, but perhaps thats because I don't live in a
>city

Some motorists seem to be intent on making themselves the "opposition"
to cyclists (& pedestrians too for that matter). There are frequently
letters in the papers calling for cyclists to be forced to use cycle
"facilities", pedestrians calling for cyclists to be off the pavements
and so on. Then there's the drivers who think cyclists should all pay
"car tax" too.

I think it is the very fact that many motorists believe that the roads
are a racetrack so, if a cyclist overtakes them, then they are losing
the race. Therefore they want to make it more difficult for cyclists
which is why they support compulsory helmet wearing, cycle paths &
want to tax cyclists more. If they get all this then they can "win".

This is a very unhealthy attidude and these racers should be removed
from the road permanently. However there is very little chance of
this since there are so many of them. I see many examples every day.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

On 6 Jun, 10:08, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

> I think it is the very fact that many motorists believe that the roads
> are a racetrack so, if a cyclist overtakes them, then they are losing
> the race.  Therefore they want to make it more difficult for cyclists
> which is why they support compulsory helmet wearing, cycle paths &
> want to tax cyclists more.  If they get all this then they can "win".
>

> --

If you really believe that , then I'm afraid your paranoia is showing
through.

What a lot of motorists and pedestrians would like from cyclists is
accountability, so that if someone scares the living daylights out of
them by jumping a red light at a road junction or a pedestrian
crossing then they can be reported. At the moment all you can do is
swear at a rapidly disappearing lycra loon, which is what I did the
other week, when it happened to me.

I'd like to see these idiots removed from the roads

"Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> If you really believe that , then I'm afraid your paranoia is showing
> through.
>
> What a lot of motorists and pedestrians would like from cyclists is
> accountability, so that if someone scares the living daylights out of
> them by jumping a red light at a road junction or a pedestrian
> crossing then they can be reported. At the moment all you can do is
> swear at a rapidly disappearing lycra loon, which is what I did the
> other week, when it happened to me.
>
> I'd like to see these idiots removed from the roads

Wouldn't we all?