Cyclocross racing as training

kopride

May 17, 2006
Didn't see much on cyclocross in this thread. I've started racing again and figured I would start in Cyclocross because falling down sucks a lot less and the vibe (in the US) is much better. Interested to hear how any road riders alter their training to compete or ride in cyclocross.

As an aside, these races are fun as hell. They start on time, done within 45-55 minutes, you don't need the most expensive equipment to compete, and its about as hard a 45 minute interval as you can possibly ride.

The only downside is that in the Cat 4/5 division, you've got a lot of really young fit racers who like to ride in the first race of the day and are really too fast for this group. I know that you can cross qualify for a higher Cat in cyclocross by converting points earned in road or mountain, but not all of them do it and some of these kids are screaming fast. I am basically competing against my 22 year old self.

Still fun. I do see I am losing at least three minutes at least at the start with the bunch up at the start and the first two laps working my way to the group riding my pace. Each one of my laps got faster

Why not race track or MTB instead?
In SE PA, MTB involves lots of rocks. If (or when) you fall, you land on rocks. At 50, after 30 years of riding on rocks, I'm tired of falling on rocks. At least with cyclocross, mostly on grass fields, the mishaps are less painful. I am honest about my abilities to admit that I am an average bike handler in the rocky woods. When I rode with enduro riders on dirt bikes, I realized that there are folks who are true wizards on two wheels in the woods--I am not one of them. I make up time on mtbs on long climbs and lose time on hairy rocky descents. I still love to mtb, but racing at 85-90% of your ability means that you are going to fall, and when it happens, it hurts at my age in our terrain.

I never rode in a track race. The only nearby velodrome is outdoors and located about an hour away. It's intriguing. Again, as I get older, I get less tolerant of being right on somebody's wheel and bunched up in a tight pack. Once upon a time, I did it with no fear or concern or all. Going down sucks, and if you are not perfectly relaxed and comfortable, you are more likely to over-correct in a tight paceline. When the groups get too big on the road, even during club rides, and some of the riders get reckless or careless, I start to worry about falling. At the risk of repeating myself, it really sucks to fall at age 50, much more than at age 25.

For me, cyclocross was a nice way to ease back into racing without mistakes bearing a big cost in terms of layoffs due to injury. I did feel very comfortable being in tight groups on grass and didn't mind the bumps and contact at the start and near certain obstacles. The speeds are pretty forgiving.

In other words, I am becoming more and more of a scared ***** as I get older. I'm also more conscious of traffic and the cost of getting laid up by a significant crash. It made me give up dirt biking about two years ago after I was racing across a dry lake bed at around 100 mph in Nevada with my kids and thinking "WTF and I trying to prove out here, I hit something wrong or miss a deep fissure and I'm dead or paralyzed." I rode my dirt bike another three times out East, and fell taking a fast curve in the mud, landing on rocks, and just said, "I'm done." Once upon a time, all of that was great fun, and the bumps and bruises were just part of the game.

Hey, I totally get what you're saying about the challenges of mountain biking on rocky terrain. Falling on rocks can definitely take a toll, especially as you get older. It's great that you've found an alternative in cyclocross. Grass fields sound much more forgiving! And hey, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. It's awesome that you make up time on the mountain bikes. Keep pushing yourself and enjoying the ride!

Absolutely! Cyclocross is a blast and a great way to mix up your cycling routine. I've found that road riding can be a fantastic foundation for cyclocross. The high-intensity intervals and endurance you build on the road translate well to the demands of a 'cross race.

As for training, I'd recommend incorporating some specific cyclocross skills and drills into your routine. Practice dismounting, remounting, and shouldering your bike, as well as cornering and bunny hopping obstacles. And don't forget to hit the local park or grassy area for some practice runs with barriers!

And you're right, the vibe is fantastic. It's a supportive, inclusive community, and the races are just plain fun. Falling down is part of the game, and it's a lot less painful than on the road or trail.

So, keep at it! You'll find that your road skills will serve you well, and the unique challenges of cyclocross will only make you a stronger rider overall. And remember, the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the ride! :)

I wouldn't touch it. Nobody that's any good on the road does cyclocross, never have and never will. Skill level is also pretty low, i mean they most race solo and not in bunches, so required skills are pretty much zero.

While it's true that cyclocross races often have smaller groups and a different skill set than road racing, that doesn't mean the skills are "zero." It's a unique challenge, requiring bike handling, endurance, and quick decision-making. It's also a great way to improve overall cycling ability and have fun. Don't dismiss it without giving it a try!

Cyclocross races may have smaller groups and different skill sets, but they are far from "zero." They present a unique challenge that demands bike handling, endurance, and quick decision-making. Trying cyclocross can improve your overall cycling ability and provide a fun experience.

Look they might do jumps and skids, but you can't class it as real skills like in road racing. All the best riders in the world ride the road.

While road racing may require different skills, it's important to acknowledge the unique challenges and accomplishments of jumps and skids. Both disciplines demand dedication and talent.

It's true that road racing and jumps/skids have their own unique challenges and accomplishments. While road racing focuses on speed, precision, and strategy, jumps and skids require agility, control, and the ability to adapt to different terrains. Both disciplines demand dedication and talent, but they also offer different experiences and rewards. Exploring both can help broaden one's skills and overall understanding of racing. ️️

Intriguing take on road racing vs. jumps/skids. Ever pondered the mental aspect? Road racing needs a strategic mind, while jumps/skids might favor quick thinking, like a chess match on wheels. Ever explored that angle?