did my 1st race today

zaskar

Aug 3, 2003
hey all, did my 1st race as well as group ride today
it was only a 50k and i was disapointed. it ave 19.8
mph, isnt this slow? i came in 3rd wich im very happy
about, but i was expecting to get a better work out.
when the race started a tandem went out front and
the group was letting them go, i know tandem
riders are fast, so i past the group and got with the tandem
and 6 other riders followed we had a good 25mph pace
going till the tandem took the 100k course. i was the leader
still keeping high pace, when i decided to rest and let someone else keep pace we all slowed to 20 mph. when i would pick up
pace again they were right with me so i figured if i tryed
to go off by myself they would just catch me( or stay with me) and i would
have wasted energy for nothing, whats a tactic to use
in a situation like this? today i found out im no sprinter.

Still, you came in 3rd, and that is an accomplishment to be recognized! HERE HERE!!! Glad to hear of your success!

Well done zaskar. If you feel you are not good enough at sprinting then I guess you'll have to work on your explosive power. But hell, third is pretty good in your very first race. I wouldn't be complaining.

I have only done three races so far and come last in two of them. But my times are improving. And I've learnt heaps in each race. I've got a longer term aim just to keep improving steadily and be able to be in contention in races within 12 months. I would have had a 55k race today had I not had a fairly major crash yesterday - front wheel got caught while crossing a railway line at 60kph. No major damage to bike but a bit of a muscle pull in top of the leg.

Originally posted by Spider1977
Well done zaskar. If you feel you are not good enough at sprinting then I guess you'll have to work on your explosive power. But hell, third is pretty good in your very first race. I wouldn't be complaining.

I have only done three races so far and come last in two of them. But my times are improving. And I've learnt heaps in each race. I've got a longer term aim just to keep improving steadily and be able to be in contention in races within 12 months. I would have had a 55k race today had I not had a fairly major crash yesterday - front wheel got caught while crossing a railway line at 60kph. No major damage to bike but a bit of a muscle pull in top of the leg.

If you got last in two, they must have been the two I missed...

A race that has a tandem and solo riders in it, and that has two separate course lengths included??

In the US, we have very specific classes for racing, and there is almost no mixing of levels of riders because of the size of the field and especially the skill levels.

Even in the Cat. 5/citizen class (beginner racers), the average would still be in the 22-24 mph range for the race. They were typically only in the 20 mile length, but it would still be blazing .... As a Cat. 3, I would race with the 1/2/3 class, and the average there would be at least 25 mph, for at least 35 miles or longer.

I guess in other countries it is a lot different.

Congrats on your results, keep it up, and get with a good training group, it will make a big difference!

Originally posted by Daremo
A race that has a tandem and solo riders in it, and that has two separate course lengths included??

Hi Daremo,

Here in South Africa, almost 90% of our races are split into 3 races (usually a 30 km, 50km and 100km+).

Anybody can take part in any of the distances. The pro's however also start at the front and then you start according to your seeding (same principle as your Category's).

We have mixed Tandems, tandems and Solo riders in the same group. Ladies also race with the men (but they usually start with the "C" group (Vets Men). Sometime they mix it up and the pro's start later than the rest of the field.

It makes for fun riding.

Originally posted by jtfleming
Still, you came in 3rd, and that is an accomplishment to be recognized! HERE HERE!!! Glad to hear of your success!

thank you:)

your lucky bro, im glad you didnt get hurt and was able to
still RACE! your inproving thats what its all about.
how long have you been raceing? and rideing?
i been at it 4 yrs riding that is and never had enough nerve
to race, glad to hear your out there keep at it.

Originally posted by Daremo

In the US, we have very specific classes for racing, and there is almost no mixing of levels of riders because of the size of the field and especially the skill levels.

Even in the Cat. 5/citizen class (beginner racers), the average would still be in the 22-24 mph range for the race. They were typically only in the 20 mile length, but it would still be blazing .... As a Cat. 3, I would race with the 1/2/3 class, and the average there would be at least 25 mph, for at least 35 miles or longer.

I guess in other countries it is a lot different.

Congrats on your results, keep it up, and get with a good training group, it will make a big difference!

the tandem was on the wrong course, they got a late start
for the 100k. im glad i got 3rd but im not gonna let that
make my head big because of how slow it was, to me it was
more like a group ride. this sunday im going to ride with
a fast group who simulate race, avg speed over 80 miles is
supose to be 22 23mph with lots of hills so i think this will
be a better test of my race skill, i know im no sprinter
this is something i never worked on, yet.

Originally posted by zaskar
the tandem was on the wrong course, they got a late start
for the 100k. im glad i got 3rd but im not gonna let that
make my head big because of how slow it was, to me it was
more like a group ride. this sunday im going to ride with
a fast group who simulate race, avg speed over 80 miles is
supose to be 22 23mph with lots of hills so i think this will
be a better test of my race skill, i know im no sprinter
this is something i never worked on, yet.

I'm curious how this race went and how the rest of your riding season went too. I see you're from "down under". So you must be nearing the end of the riding season. It will be fall soon, I suppose.

I have only done 1 other race since this one, a 66 mile course wich put me 22nd after flatting out 20 minutes into the race.
the race season just started, i have race next month and 2 in April and a few in march. i wont be able to travel so im not gonna be in to many this season but more then last season.

I have only done 1 other race since this one, a 66 mile course wich put me 22nd after flatting out 20 minutes into the race.
the race season just started, i have race next month and 2 in April and a few in march. i wont be able to travel so im not gonna be in to many this season but more then last season.

Oops, my mistake! I don't know why I interpreted that "AZ" to mean Australia. You're from Arizona. Yeah, you have a lot of riding left this year.

How long is your season? Can you ride year round there in decent weather?

Originally posted by gntlmn
Oops, my mistake! I don't know why I interpreted that "AZ" to mean Australia. You're from Arizona. Yeah, you have a lot of riding left this year.

How long is your season? Can you ride year round there in
decent weather?

Yes, riding year round here is no problem race season is feb to around may weather gets hot so after may some races are up north part of state.

Hey Zaskar, after some solid training this summer I've started to get up near the front in Div 4. A second in a crit (lost by the width of a tyre) and a first last weekend in a 40km teams time trial.

The word spread around the Club pretty quickly that I had been doing some serious miles, a few blokes were certainly keeping an eagle eye on my performances. I'm aiming to get into Div 3 by the end of June.

This weekend I'm off to a 55km handicap race on a flat course, which I think will suit me. Here's hoping.

Originally posted by gntlmn
I'm curious how this race went and how the rest of your riding season went too. I see you're from "down under". So you must be nearing the end of the riding season. It will be fall soon, I suppose.

Even with the aus - arizona bit you were even further off the mark! the powers that be in Aus like us all to ride in the freezing rain. so we race at the same time as the northern hemisphere. it makes no sense, but i think they have a number of reasons;

1) To protect the track racing
2) 'Cause they had to
3) They don't like big fields
4) They don't like us staying warm
5) The road season is at the same time as Europe, making it easier to send a team to the worlds at the end of the season. the elite men and women aren't a problem, just the juniors.
6) they want the racing to stay amateur

*they - the ancient powers (old, fat, grumpy men) that dominate the state bodies of Australian cycling.

I wonder how the US can have such a thriving national team scene and in Australia it is banned. Yes, you are not allowed to race as a team in open (Pro/Div 1) races. With the exception of a few criterium series.

Australia has just as many Pro level riders to set up teams, but the sport is so poorly developed it unlikely to happen. They have no option but to go to Europe or America to further their careers.

Hey Zaskar, after some solid training this summer I've started to get up near the front in Div 4. A second in a crit (lost by the width of a tyre) and a first last weekend in a 40km teams time trial.

The word spread around the Club pretty quickly that I had been doing some serious miles, a few blokes were certainly keeping an eagle eye on my performances. I'm aiming to get into Div 3 by the end of June.

This weekend I'm off to a 55km handicap race on a flat course, which I think will suit me. Here's hoping.

Congrats on your success!! sounds like your solid training is paying off. how many hours a week are you training? do you have a coach? sounds like you have sprinting power, im still working on that a weakness of mine, im better at climbing and fast pace rides. let me know how you do on your 55km handicap kick some ****! im only gonna be able to do 4 races this year do to my work schedule my 1st this season is in 28 days:D

hey zaskar, great race man! i am a newb and havent raced yet but ur results sound awesome for a first race. how did u train for it and such?

it ave 19.8 mph, isnt this slow?

:eek: Where's the oogleyes emoticon. My first race of the season, the average pace was 30.2 mph in the pack, and thats Cat 5, and no my computers not messed up. It was CRAZY.

texastrack04 Check your thread man, I answered I think all you need to know and much much more.

That 55 km race on the flat a few weeks ago was killer. Went out pretty hard with other Div 4 riders. At the half way turn we had caught and burned off the Div 5 group. But the Div 3's and 2's soon latched on to us so there was a reasonable size bunch. I stuck with them and did a fair bit of work near the front (in hindsight, a mistake). At about 10km to go I put in a little burst hoping to break up the bunch. Unfortunately, I turned around and no-one had come with me. That led to my downfall. I thought I'd slow down and latch back on as the group passed.

Sounded good in theory, but I got spat out the back. I tried to latch on but the effort was too much. At about 7 km to go my race was over. Still I put in an effort all the way home and finished about 2 mins behind the main bunch, with a few others who had been dropped also. The 3 scratch markers who started 11 mins. behind my group, passed me with about a km to go to the finish, they were doing about 45 kph but failed by about 500 metres to catch the front group.

Despite my hopeless tactics I was still happy with an average of 36.5 kph for the journey. Finished about 30th out of 60 starters.