diy chain whip

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Davek, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Davek

    Davek Guest

    Has anyone got any experience of making their own chain whip
    by nailing a length of old chain to a piece of wood? Does it
    work? I think I'll try it anyway - it won't cause any damage
    to my lovely new cassette, right?

    d.

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:30:19 +0000 (UTC), davek
    <david.nospam.kenning@which.nospam.net> wrote:

    > Has anyone got any experience of making their own chain
    > whip by nailing a length of old chain to a piece of wood?
    > Does it work? I think I'll try it anyway - it won't cause
    > any damage to my lovely new cassette, right?

    I don't have direct experience but a mate in Oxford had a
    home made chain whip. I think he used a metal haft and he
    rivetted the chain on.

    Colin

  3. On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:30:19 +0000 (UTC), in
    <cce2gb$1bk$1@titan.btinternet.com>, "davek"
    <david.nospam.kenning@which.nospam.net> wrote:

    >Has anyone got any experience of making their own chain
    >whip by nailing a length of old chain to a piece of wood?
    >Does it work? I think I'll try it anyway - it won't cause
    >any damage to my lovely new cassette, right?

    An oil filter wrench from Poundland might be easier

    --
    DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
    appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with. Anything

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    davek wrote:

    > Has anyone got any experience of making their own chain
    > whip by nailing a length of old chain to a piece of wood?
    > Does it work? I think I'll try it anyway - it won't cause
    > any damage to my lovely new cassette, right?

    Cyclestore.co.uk have a chain whip for a shade over six
    quid. I'd be inclined to take the view that the risk of
    damage to cassette and fingers, to say nothing of the
    required time to molish the thing, made that quite an
    attractive deal :)

    --
    Guy
    posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  5. Neil Hardman

    Neil Hardman Guest

    I tried using an oil filter wrench but found that the
    width of the chain was too big to fit snuggly on my 9
    speed casette.

  6. Neil Hardman wrote:

    > I tried using an oil filter wrench but found that the
    > width of the chain was too big to fit snuggly on my 9
    > speed casette.

    But presumably it's perfect for a track bike with a 1/8"
    sprocket, where the usual 3/32" chain whip doesn't fit?

  7. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "davek" <david.nospam.kenning@which.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Has anyone got any experience of making their own chain
    > whip by nailing a length of old chain to a piece of wood?
    > Does it work? I think I'll try it anyway - it won't cause
    > any damage to my lovely new cassette, right?

    Use a piece of steel bar the same width as the chain. Attach
    a long piece of chain with one bolt for wrapping around
    sprockets and a short length of chain just above it with 2
    bolts. We used to make 'em as teenagers and a few years ago
    I made my current one as an Old Git 'cos I'm a tight wad.

    Pete

  8. Make one with a cycling theme, just cut the last 8 to 10
    inches off a pair of old bike forks. Rivet the end of an old
    piece of chain to the mudgaurd eye and bingo!

    "

  9. On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 17:45:12 +0100, in
    <40ead7ab$0$108$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net>, "Neil Hardman"
    <neil@N0SPAMM.fiveelms.co.uk> wrote:

    >I tried using an oil filter wrench but found that the
    >width of the chain was too big to fit snuggly on my 9
    >speed casette.

    Seven-speed rules :)

    --

  10. "Zog The Undeniable" <hrothgar19@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > But presumably it's perfect for a track bike with a 1/8"
    > sprocket, where the usual 3/32" chain whip doesn't fit?

    The one that I bought was slightly too narrow for that job
    (2.8mm between inner plates, versus 2.9mm for a Campagnolo
    Pista 1/8" sprocket, 3.4mm for a Wipperman track chain) -
    though no doubt they vary.

    It's a simple job to replace the too-narrow chain with a
    piece of old track chain.

    James Thomson

  11. Davek

    Davek Guest

    Dave Chadderton:
    > Make one with a cycling theme, just cut the last 8 to 10
    > inches off a pair of old bike forks. Rivet the end of an
    > old piece of chain to the mudgaurd eye and bingo!

    Nice idea!

    d.

  12. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <outlook.bugs@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Cyclestore.co.uk have a chain whip for a shade over six
    > quid. I'd be inclined to take the view that the risk of
    > damage to cassette and fingers, to say nothing of the
    > required time to molish the thing, made that quite
    an
    > attractive deal :)

    Yebbut no "something-for-nothing" satisfaction.

    Pete.

Share This Page