Dizzy/Light Headed during really fast ride or climbing. Any ideas?

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)] I would add, it was only happening when I was pushing myself to my max for a sustained period...not intermittingly and randomly.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]The above is a quote from you. I'm 58 years old, I've been riding for 40 plus years and roughly 10 of that racing and including 5 of it at cat 3. I still ride today. I still push myself, use to push myself really hard up until 8 years ago when I left the mountains S Calif for the flatter lands of Indiana. I've pushed my limits to max and beyond and never experience what you experienced nor knew anyone who has![/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I made my suggestions, it's up to you, follow the Internet forum "doctors" or go see a real one. Like I said, all that may come out it is nothing, on the other hand it could be something, but doing nothing because you want to go with what you currently know could lead to permanent nothingness. [/COLOR]That's all I'm going to say about anymore. You're an adult, you can make your own decisions.

I have to agree with Froze. Dizziness at peak exertion can be from the reasons you described, OR it could because of something much more serious, such as a problem with your aortic valve. The fact that it still happens would make me worried. Just as an example, my father, who was not involved much in physical activity but who was otherwise healthy, started going to the gym. He would get lightheaded at a certain speed on the treadmill and when his heart rate went over 140 bpm. This happened repeatedly and he just assumed it was because he was getting older, didn't workout enough, would get better as he improved his conditioning, etc.

My wife is a doctor and pitched a fit until he finally agreed to get a stress test. The same thing happened during the test, while he was hooked up to an EKG, and they saw that his heart was in seizure. He felt better within in a few minutes, just like always, and insisted it was "no big deal," but the docs forced him to go to the hospital for more tests. There they found his aortic valve was only opening a fraction of the required width and said he had only a few months to live unless it was replaced.

It took years for my father's valve to get to that level of damage, but he would have had the same problem, at a higher heartbeat and conditioning level, decades earlier. It's possible that's what you're experiencing. Or something else.

I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just saying this is something you should be sure about.

Originally Posted by Cat5Hurricane .

Quote:

Thank you...now run along and let the adults talk for awhile!
Alienator is correct. If you're doing something that leads to fairly repeatable symptoms and it's something that you do on a regular basis that you enjoy - go see the doc.

If you look deep enough into most things on WebMd then you can extrapolate that you either have cancer, aids or pending organ failure.

Yes these complaints that he's describing can branch off anywhere. But just for the sake of giving an unqualified diagnosis, I think it could be a symptomatic Atrial septal defect. This is caused by a hole in the septum between the left and right atrium, that can cause the mixing of oxygenated and non-oxygenated blood. Which will lead to poor physical performance and other issues, such as cyanosis.