dizzy when riding

Below is the way I meant my note to be read. It was an estimation of
course, but we men aren't exactly known to be running to the doctor at the
rate of women. The sad news is once we pass forty things go wrong and we
men tend to die off rather suddenly. Two of my friends went in for a check
up only for the doctors to have bp readings on both of them of almost
165/***. They both went in for reasons not associated with hypertension. I
visited my doctor for completely different problems I could no longer
ignore and I found out I am not 16 any more. In the United States at least,
I think the Doctor may be closer to correct, than farther from it.

At any rate I do not have an informed opinion on whether it is a true
statement or not, I was just passing on what was told to me.

On 10 Jul 2004 07:43:20 GMT, Ben A Gozar <[email protected]> wrote:

>Below is the way I meant my note to be read. It was an estimation of
>course, but we men aren't exactly known to be running to the doctor at the
>rate of women. The sad news is once we pass forty things go wrong and we
>men tend to die off rather suddenly. Two of my friends went in for a check
>up only for the doctors to have bp readings on both of them of almost
>165/***. They both went in for reasons not associated with hypertension. I
>visited my doctor for completely different problems I could no longer
>ignore and I found out I am not 16 any more. In the United States at least,
>I think the Doctor may be closer to correct, than farther from it.
>
>At any rate I do not have an informed opinion on whether it is a true
>statement or not, I was just passing on what was told to me.
>
>> When I read it, I gave it a totally different interpretation than
>> either of the above: For every man that he sees in the office, he
>> estimates there are 15 others with serious health problems who are not
>> coming in, and could be at serious risk.

And I'm saying that if you are active, have no obvious risk, such as
smoking, overweight, alcoholic, and soforth that there's no reason to be
this paranoid. Of course if you walk down the street you'll see lots of
examples of couch potatoes walking out of bars, chain smoking. I'd say 90%
of these guys are at significant risk. But without doing a physical, guess
what? I'd be pulling that estimation out of my ass.

Certain risk factors might be predictable based on your genetics - many
black men have high blood pressure, and for them, over 40, go get that
checked. Otherwise, to quote that kind of figure to any particular patient
is a scare tactic, and meaningless. You pretty much know your risk factors,
b/c you know how you're abusing your body. But among a sub group, such as
bikers who have been doing it for 10 years and are lean and fit and active
and don't overdo their vices, would that be the case? My dad is 81, active
all his life, and has smoked a pack of unfiltered cigs a day since he was
25, and still going strong - go figure. In my case, go look at my pic at 50
and tell me what kind of risk factors I have.

http://www.pbase.com/image/18847396/medium

So, IMO, for your doc to say that is meaningless, irresponsible (for making
you paranoid, if it did) and he could have said 9 out of 10 or 1 out of 100
and both been right, depending on demographic.

I'll tell you what's dangerous, though. Go into any hospital to have a
minor procedure and your chances of never coming out again are quite high,
due to nosocomial infection (hospital antibiotic resistant bugs), surgical
mistakes, and other misadventures. So I could say doctors - stay the freak
away from them, b/c you could be misdiagnosed or they could just have seen
a patient with resistant strep and forgot to wash his hands. Did your doc
wash his hands before he left your exam room? He didn't? OMG! ;-)

Go check out some sites that talk about 'what they don't tell you about
medical exams'. Do you know that the devices they use for endoscopy and
rectal exams can not be properly sterilized? THat's right, the chances are
good that the last patient they scoped has left a little bit of blood or
body fluid inside the device and now it's inside you. There's no known way
to sterilize against prion infections (mad cow), so if you have an
operation, you might be innoculated with CJD and not know it. What if
you're having an appendectomy and they nick an artery and you have to get
blood? Or the anesthesiologist gives you the wrong gas (happened to my dad
and they tried to cover it up - he actually went into cardiac arrest b/c
they gave him 5 times the dose needed by mistake when he had a kidney stone
removed). See, it works both ways. ;-p

OK, sorry for the rant....

-B

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 04:27:22 +0000, Dwayne wrote:
> Yes, I have used a Powerade mix a couple of times, but got dizzy with and
> without it. What's interesting is, in the afternoons, if I go on a ride,
> I don't get dizzy.

Morning sickness?

SCNR

Badger_South <[email protected]> wrote:
> In my case, go look at my pic at 50
> and tell me what kind of risk factors I have.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/18847396/medium

well, for starters the glasses in

http://www.pbase.com/image/18847407/original

are commonly referred to as BCGs (birth control glasses) in the air force tho
perhaps the effect was intended. are those parachute pants? a digital watch?

ch-rist, man, how do you climb with all that unnecessary upper body mass?
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

On 10 Jul 2004 16:00:51 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

>Badger_South <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In my case, go look at my pic at 50
>> and tell me what kind of risk factors I have.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/image/18847396/medium

>well, for starters the glasses in
>
>http://www.pbase.com/image/18847407/original
>
>are commonly referred to as BCGs (birth control glasses) in the air force tho
>perhaps the effect was intended. are those parachute pants? a digital watch?

Part dweeb, part muscle-head, trying to blend in with the biking crowd,
now. What's not to like? ;-p

>ch-rist, man, how do you climb with all that unnecessary upper body mass?

All the better to crush thine enemies, see them driven before you, and hear
the lamentations of their wimmens?

-B
Yep, I asked for that. Set myself right up, I did (d'oh).

Badger_South <[email protected]> wrote:
>>ch-rist, man, how do you climb with all that unnecessary upper body mass?

> All the better to crush thine enemies, see them driven before you, and hear
> the lamentations of their wimmens?

thought so! this is why i give you upper body types such a wide berth when
i pass.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

On 10 Jul 2004 17:04:15 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

>Badger_South <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>ch-rist, man, how do you climb with all that unnecessary upper body mass?

>> All the better to crush thine enemies, see them driven before you, and hear
>> the lamentations of their wimmens?

>thought so! this is why i give you upper body types such a wide berth when
>i pass.

You may be passin' me now, but give me another year, you young
whippersnapper!

I did lose the geeky glasses, and went to contacts and a nice pair of Optic
Nerves, but my brother says I have a big head, and when I stuff it in
Styrofoam, well, let's just say the snickering commenses! <g>

BTW, looks like you need to hire me on as a bodyguard. I got some skillz in
that area, plus the unnecessary upper body mass intimidation thing goin'
on, heh-heh.

http://www.visi.com/~reuteler/images/ouch.jpg

I'll get a new set with my Trek and all the biking gear when I'm on
vacation. The upper body has trimmed down a little but the quads and calves
are hyoouge. I think my calves are like 18.5" cold, but need a little more
defo.

-B
BTW, nice bike http://www.visi.com/~reuteler/images/seven.jpg You rule!

If you look at Human life from an evolutionary point there is no need for
humans to live longer than to procreate and watch the children leave home.
At that time Nature has no need for us. So I doubt there are many gene
pools in the world set to promote extra long life and good health. Until
the last century, 60 years was about all the world could expect even in
'modern countries'. We are of the first generations we know of who can look
forward to a life span longer than any known in the last thousands of
years.

Great for you and your father, I am glad you both are in such good health!
By the way how many of your fathers school friends are still around and
active? Do either of you know any other 81 year old smokers? Do you smoke
too?

You seem to have taken great offense to my thoughts, hmmm, feeling a little
stressed at times? Quite a rant for a post not directed towards yourself
don't you think? Hypertension makes people react that way you know. Maybe
you are not as healthy as you want to believe and you could be one of those
walking time bombs?

Lucky for me I know the state of my health, and I am pretty healthy
compared to others my age. Only took two hours of my time. Not a high price
to pay for peace of mind don't you think?

There was a funeral for a coworker last week. He was a young 34 year old
gym rat with three kids six years old and under. He went home, ate dinner,
sat on the couch fell asleep and when his wife went to wake him, he was not
there. His heart burst while he slept on the couch. Like it or not out
bodies break down and we die, simple as that. Some of us just last longer
than others is all.

Have you looked up the statistics of people who died from the flu last year
in the United States? How about smoking or cancer? And I didn't even
mention Jim F., imagine that. Now that I did how many like him fall over
each day that we never hear about?

On 10 Jul 2004 18:46:01 GMT, Ben A Gozar <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you look at Human life from an evolutionary point there is no need for
>humans to live longer than to procreate and watch the children leave home.
>At that time Nature has no need for us. So I doubt there are many gene
>pools in the world set to promote extra long life and good health. Until
>the last century, 60 years was about all the world could expect even in
>'modern countries'. We are of the first generations we know of who can look
>forward to a life span longer than any known in the last thousands of
>years.

Teleological - no basis in fact, that I'm aware of. Guess I'm lucky. My
grandparents on both sides lived to 100, greatgrandparents 95ish. My
physical age seems to be about 5-10 years under the chronological age, for
both my brother, who at 45 looks 30, and me at 53, and I look about 40.

>Great for you and your father, I am glad you both are in such good health!
>By the way how many of your fathers school friends are still around and
>active? Do either of you know any other 81 year old smokers? Do you smoke
>too?

Nope. Don't drink booze, smoke, never have. Drank some beer in college, but
quit 25 years ago.

>You seem to have taken great offense to my thoughts, hmmm, feeling a little
>stressed at times?

Actually the rant was directed at Doctors, Ben, and not at you at all.
Sorry if that came through like that. Apologies.

>Quite a rant for a post not directed towards yourself
>don't you think?

Yeah. Briefly, I had a problem with the piriformis muscle and went in for a
work up and the so-called Sports Med doc tried to insist I needed a total
hip replacement and put me through the wringer. I'm just about healed now,
due to my biking. I was in some serious pain, acutely, and his only motive
was to cut me up and buy a big screen TV. Again, sorry for the rant. ;-)

>Hypertension makes people react that way you know. Maybe
>you are not as healthy as you want to believe and you could be one of those
>walking time bombs?

I've had a full work up recently, including bone scan, BF%, stress test,
and you name it as part of a research project. The guy who did the bone
scan was sitting at the terminal and went 'Jeeze!'. I'm laying on this
table totally still for like 20 min, and I go 'what? is something wrong'.
He goes, 'man you have the densest bones I've ever seen! I got a copy of
the scan and it looks like a scan of a gorilla - I kid you not! Haha.

Take 'er easy man. Just be sure and get a second opinion on anything a doc
tells you. I worked in a hospital for 35 years and I've seen it all.
(Pathologist, non-MD).

Best,
-Badger

>>Hypertension makes people react that way you know

Please kindly cite your evidence of this.

Lots of folks don't even know they have hypertension, and just behave like
everyone else.

While the opposite may be true - certain behaviors may promote hypertension, I
have never heard that hypertension promotes certain kinds of behaviors. I
would be extremely interested in knowing about the research which validates
your statement.

Thanks, lookng forward to your input.

"A new study from the NIH finds that certain negative personality traits may
have just as big of an impact on whether or not you develop high blood pressure
as your physical profile does. "

http://diabetes.about.com/b/a/036821.htm

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Badger_South <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [...]

> wash his hands before he left your exam room? He didn't? OMG! ;-)
>
> Go check out some sites that talk about 'what they don't tell you about
> medical exams'. Do you know that the devices they use for endoscopy and
> rectal exams can not be properly sterilized? THat's right, the chances are
> good that the last patient they scoped has left a little bit of blood or
> body fluid inside the device and now it's inside you. There's no known way
> to sterilize against prion infections (mad cow), so if you have an
> operation, you might be innoculated with CJD and not know it. What if
> you're having an appendectomy and they nick an artery and you have to get
> blood? Or the anesthesiologist gives you the wrong gas (happened to my dad
> and they tried to cover it up - he actually went into cardiac arrest b/c
> they gave him 5 times the dose needed by mistake when he had a kidney stone

Ok here's what happened this morning. I got up at 7:20 and showered
and got dressed and the entire time I was drinking bottles of filtered
water, about 3 bottles full, plus. Then I ate a peanut butter granola
bar and a small amount of peanut butter for sustained energy. I
checked my BP and it was 129/92. I checked my blood sugar count with
my wife's kit and it was 102, before I ate anything (fasting). She
told me that was a fairly good reading, diabetes would be 130 - 200+,
while fasting all night. then I took one 99 mg potassium tablet and 3
cal/mag/zinc = 1000 mg total, tablets. Then, I went riding for about
2 hours and rode about 22 miles and the temp was about 77 with about
80 % humid, the temp was normal but the humid. was a little less than
usual here. Everything went fine. I didn't get a bit sick. I even
pushed myself to do more and had no problems. Even when my buddies
wanted to turn back before it got too hot, I wanted to go further but
we turned back, probably a good idea anyway, I thought. I rode all
the way back with no problems. then as soon as I got in the door at
home, I check my BP and it was 116/69. My heart rate was 98 BPM. I
felt perfectly fine and still full of energy. What gives? Was it the
potassium? WAs it the 3 bottles full of water before I rode? Oh one
more thing, during the ride I suddenly had to "go". My bladder was
full. So I stopped and did my business and went on. Then when I got
home I had to go again. That doesn't usually happen.

You have a pretty good gene pool behind you, you are very lucky!

All I was suggesting, that op see a doctor.

There are a lot of serious problems that show up as something else. For
example I drink a large amount of water. I also live in the high desert
which doesn't help. I think it is better to know some things up front.
Falling over in a diabetic coma with no one around would not be fun imo. My
sugar is normal for my age, so it's just my body reacting and to dry warm
air.

It is a lot better imo for op to know that he is dizzy from heat and warm
water than something that should not be ignored.

Thanks for the note.

How about personal experience?

Being tired all the time unless exercising to the point of almost passing
out, headaches, feeling like a high voltage power line is attached while
feeling almost hung over does not make for a kinder gentler personality.

You are entirely correct, sorry for the inference.

"Ben A Gozar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> You have a pretty good gene pool behind you, you are very lucky!

Who the hell are you talking to? Not one of your posts has attributions or
quotes for context.

--

A: Top-posters.

>How about personal experience?
>
>Being tired all the time unless exercising to the point of almost passing
>out, headaches, feeling like a high voltage power line is attached while
>feeling almost hung over does not make for a kinder gentler personality.

I am confused!

Were you referring to my post of:

>>Hypertension makes people react that way you know

Please kindly cite your evidence of this.

Lots of folks don't even know they have hypertension, and just behave like
everyone else.

While the opposite may be true - certain behaviors may promote hypertension, I
have never heard that hypertension promotes certain kinds of behaviors. I
would be extremely interested in knowing about the research which validates
your statement.

Thanks, lookng forward to your input.

"A new study from the NIH finds that certain negative personality traits may
have just as big of an impact on whether or not you develop high blood pressure
as your physical profile does. "

http://diabetes.about.com/b/a/036821.htm

??

I have never heard of the symptoms you describe being caused by hypertension,
unless you are talking about extreme hypertension.

Are you sure that there is not another cause?

There is a reason why hypertension is called "the silent killer" - because it
generally has few symptoms, unless you have extreme BP.

What are your blood pressure readings?

Perhaps you have some other condition!

Dwayne wrote:

> [...]

>2 hours and rode about 22 miles and the temp was about 77 with about
>80 % humid, the temp was normal but the humid. was a little less than
>usual here. Everything went fine. I didn't get a bit sick. I even
>pushed myself to do more and had no problems. Even when my buddies
>wanted to turn back before it got too hot, I wanted to go further but
>we turned back, probably a good idea anyway, I thought. I rode all
>the way back with no problems. then as soon as I got in the door at
>home, I check my BP and it was 116/69. My heart rate was 98 BPM. I
>felt perfectly fine and still full of energy. What gives? Was it the
>potassium? WAs it the 3 bottles full of water before I rode? Oh one
>more thing, during the ride I suddenly had to "go". My bladder was
>full. So I stopped and did my business and went on. Then when I got
>home I had to go again. That doesn't usually happen.

3 bottles of water, like 3 liters of water or 3 of 500 ml (half liter)
bottles?

If you drank 3 liters of water your body behaved perfectly ok in my
opinion. Did you drink at all on your ride? Sounds like you should
make a habit of hydrating more than you usually do. I find being well
watered keeps my head clearer.
Bernie

"Ben A Gozar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Obviously not to you or you would have been following the thread?

You cannot safely assume that everyone reading your posts has access to any
prior posts in the thread, much less has read and remembered all of them.
Attributing, relevant quoting for context and bottom-posting are all part of
Usenet etiquette for sound reasons.

--

A: Top-posters.

>> Obviously not to you or you would have been following the thread?
>
>You cannot safely assume that everyone reading your posts has access to any
>prior posts in the thread, much less has read and remembered all of them.
>Attributing, relevant quoting for context and bottom-posting are all part of
>Usenet etiquette for sound reasons.

Thanks. This guy seems to think he is the only person on USENET and we all
follow his posts single-mindedly!