Do You Cycle For Fitness Or Is Fitness Just A Benefit?

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
I run and do calisthenics,but many times it simply feels like work. I'd say I enjoy running maybe 70% of the time,but many days it just feels like i'm working. When I do calisthenics or weights, it feels like work 80% of the time. I'd say cycling has caused me to be tired, sore,etc...but it has always felt like fun and not something on my list of chores.Health seems to be a small part of why I cycle. Is fitness your main goal when cycling or is it just one of the benefits?

Reactions: haleylx4
To begin with I cycled mostly as a way to get around, so commuting came first and the slight increase in fitness was just a bonus. Once I started mountain biking with a serious group, the demands on my body were suddenly much more strenuous so fitness became a bigger component for me, and I started pushing to go out on challenging rides so I could build my strength and stamina.

I've reached a point now where my fitness level is high enough that I can handle most trails no problem and comfortably bike to the next town over and back. Now that I don't have to work so hard every moment to keep moving, I don't really notice how hard I'm pushing anymore and the fitness aspect has once again become a smaller part of the experience for me.

I do enjoy the general increase in health and stamina though, it's nice to be able to run for the bus or take the stairs without losing my breath.

For me fitness is just an added bonus. I do this activity because I enjoy travelling and seeing all the good scenes around me. It has been a form of bonding with my friends too. We take some photos too of the places and good experience we have while on the road. These things count and we have not thought about the health benefits yet

jhuskey said:
I am in training.

Ah good... You're here... Shouldn't you... Be blocking some irrelevant noobs? Locking some old threads?

Making this a bit more tap type friendly? (You know what a pain in the ass is to report a thread in Android?)

Volnix said:
Ah good... You're here... Shouldn't you... Be blocking some irrelevant noobs? Locking some old threads?

Making this a bit more tap type friendly? (You know what a pain in the ass is to report a thread in Android?)
Why are you guys keep giving the mod a hard time over trolls and old threads?Just skip past it and be done with it..

I've always been active and have always just had to do something physical. Helps keep me alive. I do it cause I like to be active, health benefits are a bonus. The fact that I can involve my wife makes it that much more entertaining and beneficial. B)

Its a benefit for me. I usually go on rides just to relieve stress and enjoy the scenery and such. Its so much fun and enjoying!

Volnix said:
I feel yout pain. Not really I only feel my own pain.

The fitness aspect is just an added benefit for me. I just enjoy cycling to different places, especially at night, and if along the way it's beneficial for my health then I'm not exactly gonna complain :)

I started out by just commuting to work and back. Then did a couple of longer rides through a club at work, now I'm hooked and cycle as much as I can (or my wife allows). ;)

Fitness is definitely up there now but only after having fun and enjoying it. I have seen massive improvements in my health since I started cycling. I have lost a lot of weight over the last year or so and due to wanting to be faster/stronger I have changed a lot of bad habits too!