DOES ANYONE SMELL SMOKE? ANOTHER LIBERAL CAUGHT DOING DRUGS...

Bill Klinton's Cigar

Guest
PARIS - Lance Armstrong denied a report Tuesday in the
French sports daily L'Equipe that said the seven-time Tour de France
champion used the performance-enhancing drug EPO to help win his
first Tour in 1999.

"Unfortunately, the witch hunt continues and tomorrow's
article is nothing short of tabloid journalism," Armstrong
wrote on his Web site Monday night. "I will simply restate what
I have said many times: I have never taken performance-enhancing
drugs."

L'Equipe devoted four pages to its allegations, with the
front-page headline "The Armstrong Lie." The paper said
that signs of EPO use were found in Armstrong's urine six times
during the 1999 race.

The governing body of world cycling did not begin using a
urine test for EPO until 2001. For years, it had been impossible to
detect the drug, called erythropoietin, which builds endurance by
boosting the production of oxygen-rich red blood cells.

The tests on 1999 urine samples were done last year to help
scientists improve their detection methods, the paper said.

L'Equipe said it matched anonymous urine samples from that
Tour with medical statements signed by doctors, claiming that there
were "characteristic, undeniable and consequent" signs of
EPO in Armstrong's urine tests.

The newspaper said the tests were carried out by the
national anti-doping laboratory in Chatenay-Malabry. An official at
the lab declined to comment on the report.

L'Equipe, whose parent company is closely linked to the
Tour, has frequently raised questions about how Armstrong could have
made his spectacular comeback from testicular cancer without using
performance enhancers. L'Equipe is owned by the Amaury Group whose
subsidiary, Amaury Sport Organization, organizes the Tour de France
and other sporting events.

A former L'Equipe journalist, Pierre Ballester, was
co-author of a book published last year that contained doping
allegations against Armstrong. He wrote the book with Sunday Times
sportswriter David Walsh.

In the book, "L.A. Confidential, the Secrets of Lance
Armstrong," one of the cyclist's former assistants claimed that
Armstrong once asked her to dispose of used syringes and give him
makeup to conceal needle marks on his arms.

Armstrong has taken libel action against The Sunday Times
after the British newspaper reprinted allegations in a review of the
book in June 2004. The case will go to trial in London's High Court
in November.

Armstrong retired from cycling after his record seventh
straight Tour victory last month.

Rafael "Stanozolol" Palmiero also denied taking performance enhancing
drugs just like Lance Armstrong.

As the old saying goes, "where there's smoke, there's fire."

Bill Klinton's Cigar posted:

> PARIS - Lance Armstrong denied a report Tuesday in the
> French sports daily L'Equipe that said the seven-time Tour de France
> champion used the performance-enhancing drug EPO to help win his
> first Tour in 1999.

boy, that was quick.

you guys don't even chew 'em up before spitting them out.

--
TheTruthHurts.

--
Freedom may not be free but it shouldn't be a rip-off.
"Bill Klinton's Cigar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> PARIS - Lance Armstrong denied a report Tuesday in the
> French sports daily L'Equipe that said the seven-time Tour de France
> champion used the performance-enhancing drug EPO to help win his
> first Tour in 1999.
>
> "Unfortunately, the witch hunt continues and tomorrow's
> article is nothing short of tabloid journalism," Armstrong
> wrote on his Web site Monday night. "I will simply restate what
> I have said many times: I have never taken performance-enhancing
> drugs."
>
> L'Equipe devoted four pages to its allegations, with the
> front-page headline "The Armstrong Lie." The paper said
> that signs of EPO use were found in Armstrong's urine six times
> during the 1999 race.
>
> The governing body of world cycling did not begin using a
> urine test for EPO until 2001. For years, it had been impossible to
> detect the drug, called erythropoietin, which builds endurance by
> boosting the production of oxygen-rich red blood cells.
>
> The tests on 1999 urine samples were done last year to help
> scientists improve their detection methods, the paper said.
>
> L'Equipe said it matched anonymous urine samples from that
> Tour with medical statements signed by doctors, claiming that there
> were "characteristic, undeniable and consequent" signs of
> EPO in Armstrong's urine tests.
>
> The newspaper said the tests were carried out by the
> national anti-doping laboratory in Chatenay-Malabry. An official at
> the lab declined to comment on the report.
>
> L'Equipe, whose parent company is closely linked to the
> Tour, has frequently raised questions about how Armstrong could have
> made his spectacular comeback from testicular cancer without using
> performance enhancers. L'Equipe is owned by the Amaury Group whose
> subsidiary, Amaury Sport Organization, organizes the Tour de France
> and other sporting events.
>
> A former L'Equipe journalist, Pierre Ballester, was
> co-author of a book published last year that contained doping
> allegations against Armstrong. He wrote the book with Sunday Times
> sportswriter David Walsh.
>
> In the book, "L.A. Confidential, the Secrets of Lance
> Armstrong," one of the cyclist's former assistants claimed that
> Armstrong once asked her to dispose of used syringes and give him
> makeup to conceal needle marks on his arms.
>
> Armstrong has taken libel action against The Sunday Times
> after the British newspaper reprinted allegations in a review of the
> book in June 2004. The case will go to trial in London's High Court
> in November.
>
> Armstrong retired from cycling after his record seventh
> straight Tour victory last month.

> Rafael "Stanozolol" Palmiero also denied taking performance enhancing
> drugs just like Lance Armstrong.
>
> As the old saying goes, "where there's smoke, there's fire."

<ROTFLMAO!>

They've tried pinning this on Armstrong for about, oh, over SEVEN YEARS?
Veronque denied it, Hamilton denied it, many deny it. Endurain denied it.
O'Grady denied it. THEY ALL DENY IT.

No athlete has EVER gone through more drug testing then Armstrong. NOBODY.

Some are lying and some are telling the truth. The difference is either you are
guilty or you have a big bullseye painted on you. Armstrong has a big bull'seye
painted on his back. He's two over what was the world's leader, Big Mig in the
tour.

Armstrong may be the best ever in cycling history. ...and yes, I'm proud and so
very happy to say he is, as he puts it, LEFT of CENTER.

Everybody knew that he used drugs, but if drugs were forbidden, the
tour de France would take a lot of time more.

[email protected] wrote:
> Everybody knew that he used drugs, but if drugs were forbidden, the
> tour de France would take a lot of time more.

ITYMTS "Everybody in France knew....." ;-)

--
Tony

Anon

Bill Klinton's Cigar wrote:

> The director of the Tour de France said it was a "PROVEN
> SCIENTIFIC FACT" that Lance Armstrong had a performance-boosting drug
> in his body during his 1999 Tour win...
>
> In a story Wednesday, Jean-Marie Leblanc praised L'Equipe for an
> investigation ....

> L'Equipe is owned by the Amaury Group whose subsidiary, Amaury Sport
> Organization, organizes the Tour de France and other sporting events.

I've edited it slightly for you to bring out the salient points

--
Tony

Anon

On 24 Aug 2005 05:41:31 -0700, "Bill Klinton's Cigar"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On one side of a page Tuesday, it showed what it claimed were the
>results of EPO tests from anonymous riders used for lab research. On
>the other, it showed Armstrong's medical certificates, signed by
>doctors and riders after doping tests - and bearing the same
>identifying number printed on the results.
>
>L'Equipe is owned by the Amaury Group whose subsidiary, Amaury Sport
>Organization, organizes the Tour de France and other sporting events.
>The paper often questioned Armstrong's clean record and frequently took
>jabs at him - portraying him as too arrogant, too corporate and too
>good to be real.

What does appear to be the case is that L'Equipe feels that there
should be no Statute of Limitations in law or sports - and perhaps
there are none in France. Don't know personally. It also appears that
there is a lower level of medical privacy in France than the U.S. - I
don't see where there is basis enough to reveal this information, even
if it is correct and if it is a good story, seeing that there appears
to be a connection between the record custodian and the newspaper. So
if a newspaper is owned by the same corporation that owns a hospital,
they let them in to search medical records or lab results?

Perhaps L'Equipe thinks it is morally acceptable, but on the surface
it appears to be a bit less than ethically acceptable, at least in the
U.S. Is there a waiver of privacy beyond that required for doping
controls?

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Arnold OPENLY advocated the use of STEROIDS .

oh... but that's different

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

> Perhaps L'Equipe thinks it is morally acceptable, but on the surface
> it appears to be a bit less than ethically acceptable, at least in the
> U.S.

I think L'Equipe have made their views quite clear in their post race
comment:

"Never has the departure of a champion been welcomed with such
widespread relief,"

A view which is presumably supported by their parent company that
manages the TdeF:

--
Tony

Anon

Tony Raven wrote:
> I've edited it slightly for you to bring out the salient points

There's a nice comment piece in the Guardian today highlighting the
historical connection between L'Equipe and the Tour de France, also
considering why they don't show the same distrustful attitude towards
Jacques "Do they expect us to ride the Tour on mineral water?"
Anquetil.

d.

The Pretzel wrote:
> Armstrong may be the best ever in cycling history. ...

Armstrong is an undoubtedly great cyclist, but he is also a one trick
pony.

Eddie Merckx is THE greatest ever, beyond all shadow of a doubt.

d.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cycling/story/0,10482,1555217,00.html

--
Tony

Anon

"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Perhaps L'Equipe thinks it is morally acceptable, but on the surface
> it appears to be a bit less than ethically acceptable, at least in the
> U.S. Is there a waiver of privacy beyond that required for doping
> controls?
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

Nothing to do with the rights & wrongs of the test directly - but isn't LA
on record as saying all those specimens are in storage to be tested at any
time in the future to prove he didn't take drugs? Or words to that effect -
and is this coming home to bite him on the bum now? Let's face it - there
are people who will belive LA never took drugs come what may and there are
people who will believe he has, come what may.

Cheers, helen s

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:54:31 +0100, "wafflycat"
<waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:

>Nothing to do with the rights & wrongs of the test directly - but isn't LA
>on record as saying all those specimens are in storage to be tested at any
>time in the future to prove he didn't take drugs? Or words to that effect -
>and is this coming home to bite him on the bum now? Let's face it - there
>are people who will belive LA never took drugs come what may and there are
>people who will believe he has, come what may.

That's not really relevant. This was apparently a trial done to
confirm the accuracy of the EPO test. It was not done as some sort of
campaign against or for Lance Armstrong. There were other athletes
specimens involved. The results of the retesting were correlatd to
information that removed the confidentiality of the specimens and the
results.

Generally that is prohibited in the U.S. and there is a real issue
when the profile of the tested individual makes it apparent who was
tested, even when the primary personal identification has been
stripped - as in the TT incident last year(or was it the year
before). L'Equippe has gone considerably beyond that point, evidently
getting access to material I would presume in most cases to be
confidential and correlating it back to the specimen and identifying
the results to the individual. That may be fine if it is part of the
drug testing process of an event and the athlete has signed the
necesary release. It isn't, at least not in the U.S., as a result of a
test or trial, absent a release.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It isn't, at least not in the U.S., as a result of a
> test or trial, absent a release.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

But then again, as the test wasn't actually done in the US, US law is not
really relevant in this instance.
Again, this is not referring to the rights or wrongs of the test itself.

Cheers, helen s

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The Pretzel wrote:
>> Armstrong may be the best ever in cycling history. ...

> Armstrong is an undoubtedly great cyclist, but he is also a one trick
> pony.

WHAT?

davek wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
> > I've edited it slightly for you to bring out the salient points

> There's a nice comment piece in the Guardian today highlighting the
> historical connection between L'Equipe and the Tour de France, also
> considering why they don't show the same distrustful attitude towards
> Jacques "Do they expect us to ride the Tour on mineral water?"
> Anquetil.
>
> d.

Lanice brought the Tour de France to America. Without him in it I
doubt we will hear its running though we might hear who wins "might" is
the word

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:20:34 +0100, "wafflycat"
<waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:

>But then again, as the test wasn't actually done in the US, US law is not
>really relevant in this instance.
>Again, this is not referring to the rights or wrongs of the test itself.

Which I noted at the beginning. OTOH, it is also part of the ethical
protocols used in the U.S. and I assume that the ethical underpinnings
of the protocols are generally observed in most European countries.

Whatever Lance Armstrong's guilt or innocence, L'Equipe has no
standing to talk of taking a moral or ethical highground.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Also sprach [email protected] <[email protected]>:

> Lanice brought the Tour de France to America. Without him in it I
> doubt we will hear its running though we might hear who wins "might"
> is the word

Greg Lemond?

God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat
Him.