Dogs on bikes

Colin Blackburn

Guest
Yesterday as I was heading from work to the uni sports centre on foot I
saw a cyclist approaching on the road. I was on a foot path that rises
above the road so I could see that he had a large white crate on his
rack. As he ground up Whinney Hill I looked down from above to see a
medium sized spaniel-type dog sat in the crate. It was doing what all
dogs do in any mode of transport, head over the edge nose into the
headwind. It looked to be enjoying the ride.

Colin

> Yesterday as I was heading from work to the uni sports centre on foot I
> saw a cyclist approaching on the road. I was on a foot path that rises
> above the road so I could see that he had a large white crate on his rack.
> As he ground up Whinney Hill I looked down from above to see a medium
> sized spaniel-type dog sat in the crate. It was doing what all dogs do in
> any mode of transport, head over the edge nose into the headwind. It
> looked to be enjoying the ride.
>
> Colin

Fascinating :D.
You can tell someone is bored and have no one to talk to when they post
something like this :D

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:12:39 +0100, Colin Blackburn
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yesterday as I was heading from work to the uni sports centre on foot I
>saw a cyclist approaching on the road. I was on a foot path that rises
>above the road so I could see that he had a large white crate on his
>rack. As he ground up Whinney Hill I looked down from above to see a
>medium sized spaniel-type dog sat in the crate. It was doing what all
>dogs do in any mode of transport, head over the edge nose into the
>headwind. It looked to be enjoying the ride.

I have a friend who had a Jack Russel whom she always transported in the front
basket of her bike.

The JR in question was pure white with long soft hair, and was always the
subject of many smiles as she rode along.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:45:24 +0100, "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Yesterday as I was heading from work to the uni sports centre on foot I
>> saw a cyclist approaching on the road. I was on a foot path that rises
>> above the road so I could see that he had a large white crate on his rack.
>> As he ground up Whinney Hill I looked down from above to see a medium
>> sized spaniel-type dog sat in the crate. It was doing what all dogs do in
>> any mode of transport, head over the edge nose into the headwind. It
>> looked to be enjoying the ride.
>>
>> Colin

>Fascinating :D.
>You can tell someone is bored and have no one to talk to when they post
>something like this :D

Not at all.

Just someone unselfishly sharing a moment the thought of which will bring a
little moment of pleasure to most dog lovers.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:12:39 +0100 someone who may be Colin
Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I looked down from above to see a
>medium sized spaniel-type dog sat in the crate. It was doing what all
>dogs do in any mode of transport, head over the edge nose into the
>headwind. It looked to be enjoying the ride.

Alternatively there are dog trailers to carry one's animal around
http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/bike-trailers/index.html#dogtrailers

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> of University of Durham,
Durham, UK wrote:

>Yesterday as I was heading from work to the uni sports centre on foot I
>saw a cyclist approaching on the road. I was on a foot path that rises
>above the road so I could see that he had a large white crate on his
>rack. As he ground up Whinney Hill I looked down from above to see a
>medium sized spaniel-type dog sat in the crate. It was doing what all
>dogs do in any mode of transport, head over the edge nose into the
>headwind. It looked to be enjoying the ride.

There's an elderly chap I see around South Manchester, cycling very slowly
on a very old style of bike. He was always accompanied by a small terrier
in the front basket, with the terrier's nose peeping over the edge, and a
larger dog on a lead bounding along the road. I think the terrier must have
died though, as this year I've only seen him with the one dog on the lead.
--
I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable.
There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect.

Steph Peters wrote:
> Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> of University of Durham,
> Durham, UK wrote:
>
> >Yesterday as I was heading from work to the uni sports centre on foot I
> >saw a cyclist approaching on the road. I was on a foot path that rises
> >above the road so I could see that he had a large white crate on his
> >rack. As he ground up Whinney Hill I looked down from above to see a
> >medium sized spaniel-type dog sat in the crate. It was doing what all
> >dogs do in any mode of transport, head over the edge nose into the
> >headwind. It looked to be enjoying the ride.

> There's an elderly chap I see around South Manchester, cycling very slowly
> on a very old style of bike. He was always accompanied by a small terrier
> in the front basket, with the terrier's nose peeping over the edge, and a
> larger dog on a lead bounding along the road. I think the terrier must have
> died though, as this year I've only seen him with the one dog on the lead.

Sometimes I have seen cyclists with their well-trained dog running
along the pavement and even using pedestrian crossings!

Doug.

Steven wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:12:39 +0100, Colin Blackburn
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Yesterday as I was heading from work to the uni sports centre on foot I
>>saw a cyclist approaching on the road. I was on a foot path that rises
>>above the road so I could see that he had a large white crate on his
>>rack. As he ground up Whinney Hill I looked down from above to see a
>>medium sized spaniel-type dog sat in the crate. It was doing what all
>>dogs do in any mode of transport, head over the edge nose into the
>>headwind. It looked to be enjoying the ride.

From the current set of snaps on the BBC Scotland site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4618159.stm

See picture 11, although 12 is pretty spectacular.

Kennedy