Don't start out by buying a $5000 bike

Did you buy a new very expensive bike staight og

• Yes, I did

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I got a good secondhand bike before moving into a new, very expensive bike.

Votes: 138 100.0%

• Total voters
Notice how you never read any posts that say "I have this $5000 Trek <insert model here> hunk of junk and I've been riding it for 12 years and its been ok..."

Almost without fail you read posts about that $150 schwinn that someone has been riding for two decades and they've been able to handle the abject suffering, so everyone else should too. I think that's ridiculous... Why torture yourself? Why have something to blame your pain on? and not try to eradicate the source of potential discomfort and dissatisfaction with riding?

You don't hear as often the info from long time riders and their quality equipment because that's normal! Suffering on purpose with low quality hardware is not, that is why its more often talked about, its more "unnatural" and "noteworthy" I mean geez, people go out and spend $180 on tennis shoes and than then balk at a $2000 bike that you might potentially trust your very life on? and will most probably be with you 100 times longer?

If your serious about health, fun, skill, discipline, spend serious money, if not... then don't... :)

Its like marriage... Make a genuine commitment, because I can virtually guarantee if you go with the cracker jack engagement and wedding ring, the prenup, and the seperate bank accounts right off the bat, your union is going nowhere...

Have a good one!

Feanor

Originally posted by Feanor
Notice how you never read any posts that say "I have this $5000 Trek <insert model here> hunk of junk and I've been riding it for 12 years and its been ok..."

Almost without fail you read posts about that $150 schwinn that someone has been riding for two decades and they've been able to handle the abject suffering, so everyone else should too. I think that's ridiculous... Why torture yourself? Why have something to blame your pain on? and not try to eradicate the source of potential discomfort and dissatisfaction with riding?

You don't hear as often the info from long time riders and their quality equipment because that's normal! Suffering on purpose with low quality hardware is not, that is why its more often talked about, its more "unnatural" and "noteworthy" I mean geez, people go out and spend $180 on tennis shoes and than then balk at a $2000 bike that you might potentially trust your very life on? and will most probably be with you 100 times longer?

If your serious about health, fun, skill, discipline, spend serious money, if not... then don't... :)

Its like marriage... Make a genuine commitment, because I can virtually guarantee if you go with the cracker jack engagement and wedding ring, the prenup, and the seperate bank accounts right off the bat, your union is going nowhere...

Have a good one!

Feanor

This year, when I felt my $150 department-store hybrid bike was not that fun to ride on 5m+ rides because it was slow, I started looking into road bikes. My previous experience with "bikes with drop-down handlebars" (notice I didn't say road bikes) was the $90 Target variety I used for daily commuting in college back in the mid-80's. I didn't see a single "drop-down handlebar" bike in any department store. Compared to the $90 Target bike, my visit to LBS's gave me sticker shock at the $500/600 minimum price. But after much research and "kicking the tires" at LBS's, I settled on a $1k Fuji Team w/Ultegra+Ritchey components. At any point before I did that research, I would have said it's "stupid" to plunk down $1k on a road bike, just so I could ride faster than with my hybrid. But I feel at the time I bought it, it felt it was the right BALANCE on the budget/excitement/anticipated-skill-level continuum. That continuum should continue to change if I do or do not ride more. I believe whether you buy a $100-$5000 bike, it should be what ever you feel is the right balance. Of course, richer newbie folks will have a higher budget to begin with which is fine by me. You should start out as excited(lightness, looks, prestige) about your anticipated new hobby as your budget allows and generally the better, more expensive bike will be more exciting.

When you see a newbie on a $5K bike, you don't know his/her motivation. So, slow down and introduce yourself and then yhou can pass your judgements on whether they really "deserve" it.

Buy an old but quality lugged steel frame. Fit it correctly. Buy good shoes, pedals and saddle as your first upgrades, and plan to transfer them to your next bike. Ride it for a at least a full season, enough to learn what you do and don't like about it. Then spend as much as you want, knowing exactly what you're looking for. Know WHY you want alumininum/carbon, titanium. Try to buy something that BEATS that old/good steel frame.

All of that advice applies if you like CYCLING. If it's just about OWNING the latest and most exotic, spend hard, early and often. You'll end up spending twice as much for half the ride. My 0.02.

This thread really hit home with me. I had been a couch potato for 18 years, and being in the computer industry the only exercise I had for those years was typing. I wanted to get into cycling and thought the best way was to buy a good, solid, inexpensive bike to learn on.

I bought a brand new Trek 1000. Two weeks after that I replaced the brakes because they didnt stop well, then the pedals, then the front derailer. Finally I decided that either I get a bike that works well or I am quiting. I was tired of missed shifts and what happened to my privates when the chain came off while out of the saddle going uphill. I was tired of being beaten to death on the chip and seal. I was tired of pedaling as hard as I could downhill and watching everyone else fly past me without pedaling at all.

Fourtunately I make a pretty good living. Off to the bike store I went and $3500 bought me a new Trek 5200 (not exactly stock I might add, the standard bike was only about $2600). I bought the carbon bars, the carbon seat post, the titanium railed saddle, the flight deck computer, the carbon water bottle cages, the ultralight chain, etc etc etc.

Several people I know thought this was just stupid. The difference is that now I LOVE to ride! Back on the old Trek 1000 it was a chore and never lasted more than five miles. Yesterday I finished my first 78 mile ride and am chomping at the bit to do more, faster, better.

Bottom line: I bought inexpensive and was ready to quit in less than two months. I bought fairly expensive and have been riding strong for over six months on it. If you have the money to spend on a quality bike, DO IT! For me, the problems associated with a cheap bike were enough to ruin cycling completely. Also now I cant blame the bike for anything!

Allan

PS Did I mention that I also went out and bought a mountain bike? All because I bought that expensive road bike and fell in love with cycling.

I am not sure why you had trouble with the TREK 1000; I know someone who just bought one and is having a blast on it. (she's female, 150# and doesn't care about speed or racing. she is in for the slow ride).

I bought the 1500 and I am in heaven! It's great for an intermediate rider who wants to ride long distance and race. I can see myself upgrading to the 5200 in a couple of years, though.....when I get a few wins under my belt!

I have been riding with a group who is more experienced than I am.......most have been riding for 5+ years......... and I am keeping up with them. I figured out early that my bike has great components, is light weight and flies downhill!

Try to sell the 1000 to a kid who wants to ride, but not compete. If I lived close to you, I'd buy it for my daughter......she's taller than I am (5'8") and would love to ride with me on a good bike.

I am jealous of your 5200!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ksbell
I am not sure why you had trouble with the TREK 1000; I know someone who just bought one and is having a blast on it. (she's female, 150# and doesn't care about speed or racing. she is in for the slow ride).

You've basically answered your own question. Someone who wants to 'slow ride' is a perfect candidate for a Trek 1000. The previous poster isn't interested in 'slow riding', and therefore he would be far more apt to realize the shortcomings of a budget bike like the Trek 1000 sooner than later, and that's exactly what happened.

In short, if you're interested in the 'slow ride', no $5000 bike makes sense. If you're serious about pushing the envelope however, the more reason you have to buy a top level bike. If you don't get one sooner, you'll want one soon enough - when you come to realize that small differences in equipment can translate into the more efficient application of energy.

Wow, this thread really makes me feel frugal and responsible for agonizing over the $1kUSD I'm thinking about spending on my first roadie!

Originally posted by ksbell

Try to sell the 1000 to a kid who wants to ride, but not compete. If I lived close to you, I'd buy it for my daughter......she's taller than I am (5'8") and would love to ride with me on a good bike.

I am jealous of your 5200!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ted B hit it perfectly. I keep the 1000 around for the slow recovery rides and for really rainy days. When I dont care if I am averaging 14mph I take the 1000 and it does fine. When I want to push myself, and the bike, I take the 5200 (which is 90% of the time).

Dont get me wrong, some times I love to just ride and look at the landscape. Even then the 5200 lets me completely worry about the landscape and ignore the bike.

But primarily if you just want to get from point A to point B the 1000 is a great bike (well the brakes stink). Funny thing is that my wife rides a 1000 (upgraded). She is definately looking at other bikes already and the 5200 in particular, but she isnt pushing as hard and hasnt seen the glaring problems with the 1000 when pushed with all your might, yet.

Glad you like your 1500, it looks like a great bike for the money.

Allan

Well I must say that I support Allan's point of view here. I have love biking ever since I was a little kid. I used to ride mountain bike and has a good Specialized M2.

Well I switched to road because trails are just hard to find and being older now, I enjoy road riding much more.

I have a Litespeed Catalyst and paid over 2K for it back in 1998. Although I do not think that I'm that strong rider worthy of the 2K plus I spent on the bike but I must say that having such a nice bike is such a pleasure to ride. A much more enjoyable ride everytime I was not huffing and puffing for air.

But you know what? it's all about experiencing a wonderful thing. That special feeling you get from riding a ti bike or carbon bike. And be amazed at how much easier it climbs compared to my old steel Schwinn.

I had to take a job that I had to travel almost full time for a couple of years. So I was not biking much at all. Now I don't have to travel anymore and slowly getting back into biking again. My old trusty Catalyst is still in great shape being such a nice bike to begin with...so there...there's sometjhing to be said about a larger investment on a bike....

uuummm.....only trouble is...the new 2004 Tuscany has such a beefy down tube ...uumm I wonder if it would eliminate that flex I experience from my smaller tube Catalyst...hehe...

Where's the "Neither; I got a nice, basic ride to start with" option in this poll?

Though it's difficult to fault the pappa-knows-best practicality of starting out on a less-expensive bike, I'd have to disagree with those who preach that a newbie should restrict him/herself to a second-hand steel-lugged thing. If I were outfitting my teenage son, sure, imposing a clunker on him might involve a wise set of lessons about frugality and cautious, one-step-at-a-time shopping, but luckily, I'm not that teenage kid either... I want what I want. Screw daddy's rules. It's my money, and cycling should be fun.

Within reason.

If you're at least 75% sure that road biking is something you want to pursue, find a balance point between beginner's caution and the general excitement over a new toy. Just as you don't want to be stuck with a $3000 bill if you decide you hate the sport, let's be honest -- your first bike should be something that will have staying power if you get ambitious. You don't want to feel a strong urge to upgrade after 6 months, once you get serious about that weekly hill ride and you realize that your Univega is crazy heavy, poorly geared, and creaky... and not helping you enjoy cycling.

If you're 75% sure, get something from a reputable maker in the $1000 range. Used is fine, but go for 105 or Veloce. They've got staying power. If you don't like it, you can sell it and get something back.

Basic may be a good quality for a first road bike, but boring is not. It's GOT to excite you, or it's not worth it.

Originally posted by lokstah
Where's the "Neither; I got a nice, basic ride to start with" option in this poll?

I think the phenomena we have to deal with here is that compared to a Trek 5200/5900 or other manufacturer's equivalent EVERYTHING else is a bit like a steel lugged overweight touring bike :) Even the very reasonable and good quality offerings...

There's everything wrong with a Yugo, and hardly anything wrong with a Toyota, but once you've driven the Porsche or Ferrari (and can afford it) is it really a choice? :)

Have a good one!

Feanor

As to the TREK 1000, I have a question. I realize that there are so many variables that this is porbably impossible to answer, but how fast do I need to be until I need a new bike?

On my work days I can only ride an hour or so, and on off days I ride for 2 or 3 hours, usally at between 15.8 and 16.4 average mph. Moderate hills. I've ridden about 500 miles this month.

I know that for now, I'm not " better " than my bike but when would the more knowlegable among you think that a more expensive bike would help me. I ride only for fitness, and my goals are to ride a few centurys, and maybe a MS150 next year.

Originally posted by jordon198
As to the TREK 1000, I have a question. I realize that there are so many variables that this is porbably impossible to answer, but how fast do I need to be until I need a new bike?
That's definitely impossible to answer, because there aren't any standards to judge it by. You can be a killer rider with thighs of steel and an aero-bladed torso, but be content on a 30lbs chro-moly lugged beast with downtube shifters. Or, you can be a dork like me who always craves to feel like a friggin' pro, not only by riding hard and often but by buying cool, lightweight racy stuff (when budget allows, of course).

It's about passion! If you're enjoying riding on the bike you've got, but you're feeling the itch, then upgrade as is reasonable for your wallet. You know you like the sport, you know you like to ride; get that new thing and feel a little sexier -- enjoy the improved ride moving a few notches up the tech ladder offers.

Of course, there's absolutely nothing wrong with riding a bike that you're comfortable on until it turns to dust. As much as I like toys, I think I'll be riding my new rig for years, and years, and years, and years, and years...

Originally posted by jordon198

On my work days I can only ride an hour or so, and on off days I ride for 2 or 3 hours, usally at between 15.8 and 16.4 average mph. Moderate hills. I've ridden about 500 miles this month.

If you're riding 1,000 mile months you definitely have earned your dream bike - whatever it is. Don't go into too much debt to get it, but you can certainly validate whatever you can afford.

You're welcome.

Jordon, I'm like you. There are weeks that I can find the time to ride and there are times when my job doesn't allow me to ride at all. I've gone through periods of 3 or 4 weeks before I get a chance to ride ...and on the weekend no less.

If fitness is a criteria for you and that you can appreciate and enjoy the experience of riding a better bike and...if budget allow, I would say go for it. Life is about experience and ...enjoyments..and it's just too short. Yes, it is somewhat of a passion.

If on the other hand, you can't tell the difference between a huffy and a trek OCLV then you shouldn't be purchasing an expensive bike.
I ride an old Litespeed Catalyst and I really love the way it feels. So much smoother and more comfortable and much lighter than my old schwinn steel bike. And I don't race. I do have goals to do a century or duathlon here and there later on when time permits.

Agree with Lokstah; people should get what they like to ride, and can afford. But upgrading to a $2500 or more high-end bike (which I'm currently planning myself) isn't about speed as much as ride feel, precision and style. For recreational riders, the Trek 1000 is about as fast a bike as you can buy, IMO. It's stiff, and I'd guess under 21 lbs.

When I get a new frame built up for next season to replace my 10 yr old Raleigh steel bike, I'm hoping to get a more comfortable and more responsive ride with new components and wheels.

I already know the new 17 lb bike won't put me up with the "A-ride" guys or suddenly have me doing hilly centuries with ease. If it makes my club rides feel a little easier and more enjoyable, that's all the advantage I'm going for.

Dan

Agree with Lokstah; people should get what they like to ride, and can afford. But upgrading to a $2500 or more high-end bike (which I'm currently planning myself) isn't about speed as much as ride feel, precision and style. For recreational riders, the Trek 1000 is about as fast a bike as you can buy, IMO. It's stiff, and I'd guess under 21 lbs.

When I get a new frame built up for next season to replace my 10 yr old Raleigh steel bike, I'm hoping to get a more comfortable and more responsive ride with new components and wheels.

I already know the new 17 lb bike won't put me up with the "A-ride" guys or suddenly have me doing hilly centuries with ease. If it makes my club rides feel a little easier and more enjoyable, that's all the advantage I'm going for.

Dan