Extra long quill stem?

HankBW

Guest
I've been searching for an extra long quill stem, as I want to raise
my handlebars about 180mm higher than my existing stem will allow.

Does anyone know of a supplier?

Alternatively, has anyone found a way of raising handlebars using
other components?

A pair of BMX-style bars in aluminium with a 25mm thickness at center,
and without the cross-member would also work - except I can't seem to
find any such bars.

I've seen quill stem extenders advertised that raise your bars an
extra 100mm. Perhaps I'll have to make do with one of those.

Which are the fastest-delivering cycle-parts suppliers?

Thank you,

HankB

"HankBW" <HankBW@[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I've been searching for an extra long quill stem, as I want to raise
> my handlebars about 180mm higher than my existing stem will allow.
>
> Does anyone know of a supplier?
>
> Alternatively, has anyone found a way of raising handlebars using
> other components?
>
> A pair of BMX-style bars in aluminium with a 25mm thickness at center,
> and without the cross-member would also work - except I can't seem to
> find any such bars.
>
> I've seen quill stem extenders advertised that raise your bars an
> extra 100mm. Perhaps I'll have to make do with one of those.
>
> Which are the fastest-delivering cycle-parts suppliers?
>
> Thank you,
>
> HankB

Wiggle do a KF stem raiser which will give an extra 4 inches.

cheers
Jon_H

HankBW wrote:
> I've been searching for an extra long quill stem, as I want to raise
> my handlebars about 180mm higher than my existing stem will allow.

A Kalloy adjustable stem will get you some way towards that. 180mm is a
hell of a lot.

www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=442&src=froogle

> Alternatively, has anyone found a way of raising handlebars using
> other components?

I can think of a way to get loads of height - but I don't think it'd be
wise: Quill converter (to ahead) + stem raiser + steeply rising or
adjustable ahead stem.

How about a larger bike? Seriously.

> Which are the fastest-delivering cycle-parts suppliers?

Wiggle and Chain Reaction.

~PB

HankBW wrote:
> I've been searching for an extra long quill stem, as I want to raise
> my handlebars about 180mm higher than my existing stem will allow.
>
> Does anyone know of a supplier?

Would help if you said how how long the current stem is :). And I assume
you're talking 1inch standard diameter.

Kalloy (amongst others) make long stems.

Suggest Spa Cycles (Harrogate) or SJS (Bridgewater) as retailers with
mail-order as starting points for unusual bits and pieces. In both cases, a
phone call or email might reveal products not listed on websites.

> Which are the fastest-delivering cycle-parts suppliers?

The ones with stuff in stock ?

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 15:43:46 -0000, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Would help if you said how how long the current stem is :). And I assume
>you're talking 1inch standard diameter.

The existing stem is 112mm from the bottom of the forward-projecting
part to the bottom of the stem. It seems to be 22 mm diameter. (If the
stem is removed, the end of a standard handlebar can be inserted into
the headset with no apparent play.)

Thanks for the suggestions.

HankB

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:27:26 GMT, "Jon_H" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Wiggle do a KF stem raiser which will give an extra 4 inches.

Yes; I have seen those advertised on a few sites. Are Wiggle fairly
quick to deliver with mail-order?

Cheers,

HankB

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 15:43:41 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>How about a larger bike? Seriously.

Thanks for the suggestions. The bike in question is a folding mountain
bike, so it's not very typical. A larger bike wouldn't help. I just
that I like riding in an upright position rather than leaning
forwards. It's a preference I settled on years ago when cowhorn bars
and suchlike were readily available.

HankB

HankBW wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:27:26 GMT, "Jon_H" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Wiggle do a KF stem raiser which will give an extra 4 inches.

> Yes; I have seen those advertised on a few sites. Are Wiggle fairly
> quick to deliver with mail-order?

/Very/ quick.

~PB

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 17:25:23 +0000, HankBW
<HankBW@[email protected]> wrote:
>I just that I like riding in an upright position

....well, upright with a bit of a slouch, to be more exact. ;-)

HankB

In article <[email protected]>
HankBW <HankBW@jojogunn> wrote:

> I've been searching for an extra long quill stem, as I want to raise
> my handlebars about 180mm higher than my existing stem will allow.
>
> Does anyone know of a supplier?
>
> Alternatively, has anyone found a way of raising handlebars using
> other components?
>
> A pair of BMX-style bars in aluminium with a 25mm thickness at center,
> and without the cross-member would also work - except I can't seem to
> find any such bars.

Alloy BMX bars have the brace because they need it for rigidity. BMX
stems are chunky because the bars give quite a lot of leverage, and it
would be too easy to push them forwards with a regular stem. It
wouldn't be hard to make a very tall quill stem from a couple of bits of
steel tubing, or you could make a fork steerer extension to take a
regular stem, but it would be neater to convert to a threadless
fork/headset and use a fork with a very long steerer.

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 17:33:45 -0000, Rob Morley <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Alloy BMX bars have the brace because they need it for rigidity. BMX
>stems are chunky because the bars give quite a lot of leverage, and it
>would be too easy to push them forwards with a regular stem. It
>wouldn't be hard to make a very tall quill stem from a couple of bits of
>steel tubing, or you could make a fork steerer extension to take a
>regular stem, but it would be neater to convert to a threadless
>fork/headset and use a fork with a very long steerer.

Yes, I think your last idea above would be best, but I'm really in the
market for a new set of forks at present. Yes, I thought about
elongating an existing stem too, with the help of some brazing and a
longer bolt.

The existing stem has a quick-release lever which is very useful when
needing to fold the bike down into a small space.

Ideally, I'd have a 12" long stem with a quick-release lever. Ideally,
it would also have an adjustable-angle goose-neck (if that's the
correct term).

HankB

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 18:53:04 +0000, HankBW
<HankBW@[email protected]> wrote:

>but I'm really in the market for a set of forks

PS... Sorry; read that as "really _not_ in the market for forks"...

HankBW wrote on 02/12/2006 17:25 +0100:
> On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 15:43:41 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> How about a larger bike? Seriously.

> Thanks for the suggestions. The bike in question is a folding mountain
> bike, so it's not very typical. A larger bike wouldn't help. I just
> that I like riding in an upright position rather than leaning
> forwards. It's a preference I settled on years ago when cowhorn bars
> and suchlike were readily available.

I would be cautious about using stem extenders or the adjustable stems
on a mountain bike that is going to be used as a mountain bike.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

> I would be cautious about using stem extenders or the adjustable stems
> on a mountain bike that is going to be used as a mountain bike.

I had one of these contraptions fall apart on me in the middle of
nowhere off road in spain once.Fortunatlely I had enough tools to
remove it.
TerryJ

Quoting HankBW <HankBW@[email protected]>:
>I've been searching for an extra long quill stem, as I want to raise
>my handlebars about 180mm higher than my existing stem will allow.
>Does anyone know of a supplier?

In extremis, Rivendell in California (www.rivbike.com) sell the Nitto
stems, some of which are very tall. I've got one on my own bike and on the
tandem.
Today is Olethros, December - a weekend.

David Damerell wrote:

> Quoting HankBW <HankBW@[email protected]>:
>>I've been searching for an extra long quill stem, as I want to raise
>>my handlebars about 180mm higher than my existing stem will allow.
>>Does anyone know of a supplier?

> In extremis, Rivendell in California (www.rivbike.com) sell the Nitto
> stems, some of which are very tall. I've got one on my own bike and on the
> tandem.

www.roseversand.de.

cat number 522452-1 (silver)
cat number 522328-1 (black)