Faster Tires - Set Me Straight

OscarC said:
Thank you so much! Great article!
In addition to lower rolling resistance at the correct pressures, you'll also have a better grip on the road for safer cornering and more secure high-speed descents.

At your 145 lbs, believe 90 psi front, 95-100 rear should do the trick. Once you experience the difference in ride and the secure steering feel, doubt you'll want to go back to the max ratings.

Thanks for the link looks very interesting. So how long have you been riding the Tufos? What do you weight and what psi do you pump these up to? To repair a flat you only need the sealant? No patch kits or spare tubes? Do they fold up?

domaindomain said:
The fastest feeling tyre I have ever know is the Tufo C Elite Jet

All I know is that all my best times have been set riding these tyres and they are superb.

I am not sure how usfull this might be but I stumbled across it when researching tires and tire pressure. It is a graph which represents the ideal inflation of a tire based on total load and tire size size. It was published in Bicycling Magazine in June of 1989.

kbone said:
I am not sure how usfull this might be but I stumbled across it when researching tires and tire pressure. It is a graph which represents the ideal inflation of a tire based on total load and tire size size. It was published in Bicycling Magazine in June of 1989.
Some good research you've done to dig up a 1989 Bicycling Mag article. The results look good to me, but would like to know how the data were derived. Questions like: what kind of surface was used; are the recommendations only based on rolling resistance?

dhk said:
Some good research you've done to dig up a 1989 Bicycling Mag article. The results look good to me, but would like to know how the data were derived. Questions like: what kind of surface was used; are the recommendations only based on rolling resistance?
I'm not sure about that particular test, but some other ones I've seen used a metal roller. All of the data goes right out the window when you put the tire on a real road. And I agree that there's more to life than rolling resistance. There are far too many variables to make any simple recomendations.

Ozark Bicycle said:
"higher pressure = faster?", no.
higher pressure = harsher ride?, yes

At your total bike + rider weight of <165lbs, you could lower your pressure a bit without increasing rolling resistance or risking pinch flats. The "plus factor" will be a less harsh, more comfortable ride.

BTW, the "max inflation presssure" spec on clincher tires is ~50% of the pressure it takes to blow the tire off an appropriate rim. Despite what you may read in manufacturer's propaganda or be told at your LBS, it _is not_ an indication of tire quality, per se.

Higher pressure=faster wear? Yes

#18 I started with Tufo's this year and have the Elite Jets on my Colnago, very nice feel to them

No punctures so far so can't comment on the effectiveness of the sealant but it does claim to repair up to 2mm holes perfectly. Some people even recommend adding the sealant to new tyres to protect against punctures but I can't get my mind round that.

I ride them at 120psi and that feels plenty.

There are also some mountain bike tyres by Tufo that I have my eye on but the price is holding me back a little just now...