First fixed gear fifty miler

"Robert Canon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://128.83.80.200/bike/fixie50.html

What's with those seatstays?! I've never seen a bike
with, what looks like, vertically aligned seatstays...
mind you, I'm in Australia - we miss out on so much US
and Euro stuff..

Huge head tube too. I like the wheels, they suit the
frame well and the radial lacing on the front looks very
cool side-on.

At the moment I only have a track bike, but one of my future
project bikes will surely have to be a fixed-gear for the
road (with brakes).

Thanks for the story and pics!

hippy

I'm jealous. In NJ we had 1-4" of snow, with more on the way
today! Hard to believe spring is Saturday. We're all getting
cabin fever this year. Very nice photos BTW.

I just purchased a Rivendell Rambouillet frameset. The bike
shop called yesterday to tell me he was starting assembly. I
told him to stop and to rustproof the frame first. It's no
rush because I don't predict clear enough roads to ride for
at least a week.

I wish I lived in the south or the west! (I hate the
Northeast)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 22:19:31 +1100, "hippy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What's with those seatstays?! I've never seen a bike
>with, what looks like, vertically aligned seatstays...
>mind you, I'm in Australia - we miss out on so much US
>and Euro stuff..

Well, its a normal track bike layout for about the last 80
years. You seat the chain with the hub all the way to the
front and then pull it back slightly (and it will be
slightly) to put tension on the chain. Not a big deal with a
fixed gear lock nut hub and its a lot safer in a track
sprint if the hub slides under pressure.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
two wheels...

Robert Canon <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://128.83.80.200/bike/fixie50.html

Some very nice pictures indeed. That's a nice looking fixie
I must say. We're starting to get spring blossoms up here in
soggy Washington. It's not too bad here at the moment, at
least we're starting to get a decent amount of daylight.

I got out for what was only my second 50+ mile outting this
year two days ago, and the weather was reasonably
cooperative. I have to wait a bit till I can try it on a
fixie, I'm just starting to build mine up.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and,

"Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Robert Canon <[email protected]> wrote:
> > http://128.83.80.200/bike/fixie50.html
>
> Some very nice pictures indeed. That's a nice looking
> fixie I must say. We're starting to get spring blossoms up
> here in soggy Washington. It's not too bad here at the
> moment, at least we're starting to get a decent amount of
> daylight.
>
> I got out for what was only my second 50+ mile outting
> this year two days ago, and the weather was reasonably
> cooperative. I have to wait a bit till I can try it on a
> fixie, I'm just starting to build mine up.

Texas has got to be flatter, though. Everytime someone tells
me they ride a fixie to work around here, I think about
trying to pedal up Madison Ave. Maybe you've got the pistons
for it, Dane, but I sure don't!

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:
Email me re: the new Tiferet CD (http://www.tiferet.net)

"Jonathan Kaplan" wrote
> I'm jealous. In NJ we had 1-4" of snow, with more on the
> way today! I just purchased a Rivendell Rambouillet
> frameset. The bike shop called...

Nice bike! A woman from MI emailed me today in a similar
situation with similar sentiments. She has a brand
spanking new Qickbeam chafing at the bit and snow with
more on the way.

> I wish I lived in the south or the west! (I hate the
> Northeast)

I love the winters down here, but when it's 95F and 95%
humidity for months on end through the long summer it gets a
little tiresome! But, by the time I convince myself I need
to move to New Mexico where it's less humid, Fall rolls
around again and it's more comfortable.

> "Curtis L. Russell" wrote
> > "hippy" wrote: What's with those seatstays?!
>
> Well, its a normal track bike layout for about the last
> 80 years.

I think hippy was talking about the seat stays, not the
chain stays/track ends:

http://128.83.80.200/bike/tifixie2.jpg

I first saw that style seat stay on a Landshark track bike
and liked the sheer wackiness of it and how it accentuated
that the bike could never run a rear brake thereby
highlighting the fixed gear factor. It's definitely met with
mixed reviews (it was harshed on pretty hard in r.b.t.
yesterday) but like someone on the fixed gear list said,
it's a sure fire conversation starter! Ha ha! Someone else
called them "ugly" and I even had minor reservations after
spec-ing them, but happily it was lust at first sight when I
pulled it out of the box!

"Dane Jackson" wrote:
> > Some very nice pictures indeed. That's a nice
> > looking fixie

Thanks, Dane.

>>I have to wait
> > a bit till I can try it on a fixie, I'm just starting to
> > build mine up.

Be sure to post it up to the Fixed Gear Gallery when
you're through!

"Claire Petersky" wrote:
> Texas has got to be flatter, though.

Yes and no... Austin is called the Gateway to the Hill
Country so there are some pretty good climbs on the west
side. The fixie fifty was out east where it's much flatter
and I still had over 2,000 feet of climbing over the 50
miles. Not exactly mountainous, but not a billiard table
like central Kansas/Oklahoma where I grew up.

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:59:19 -0600, "Robert Canon"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I think hippy was talking about the seat stays, not the
>chain stays/track ends:
>
>http://128.83.80.200/bike/tifixie2.jpg

I stand corrected - that is weird. I guess if you like
Escher to design your bike...

If Escher designs your race course, where do you put the
start-finish?

"Curtis L. Russell" wrote:

> ...that is weird. I guess if you like Escher to design
> your bike...

I hadn't thought of that, but exactly right! The skewed
stays tend to draw me in like the skewed perspective of an
Escher print! Even after a month I'm still surprised by how
they look completely different from each slightly altered
perspective...

Interesting bike.

What gearing are you running?

Chris Neary [email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you
ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I loved" -
Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

"Chris Neary" wrote
> What gearing are you running?

42x16 with an 18 on the other side of the fixed/fixed hub.
I'm thinking of going to a 20 on the bail-out gear since the
18 didn't make that much differnece into the stiff head
wind. A bonk with an up hill head wind stretch could get
ugly! Ha ha!

"Robert Canon" <[email protected]> writes:

> http://128.83.80.200/bike/fixie50.html

Nice story, I'm jealous to see green and flowers- it snowed
Tuesday morning here in Minnesota and we won't see anything
bloom (other than salt patterns and rust on our cars) for
another month or so.

Nice mod on the Carradice! I've been using a wooden standoff
modeled after the one in Jobst Brant's photos, which had to
be attached to the toe strap to keep it from falling out.
Your method is very elegant.

"Jonathan Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm jealous. In NJ we had 1-4" of snow, with more on the
> way today! Hard
> believe spring is Saturday. We're all getting cabin fever
> this year. Very nice photos BTW.
>
> I just purchased a Rivendell Rambouillet frameset. The
> bike shop called yesterday to tell me he was starting
> assembly. I told him to stop and to rustproof the frame
> first. It's no rush because I don't predict clear
enough
> roads to ride for at least a week.
>
> I wish I lived in the south or the west! (I hate the
> Northeast)

I don't suppose then that you want to hear about last Sat's
Solvang Century? Oh what the heck ... clear blue skies, temp
in the 70's, beautiful central coast wine country, good
people, .....

MdP

"Marco del Pollo" <[email protected]> writes:

> I don't suppose then that you want to hear about last
> Sat's Solvang Century? Oh what the heck ... clear blue
> skies, temp in the 70's, beautiful central coast wine
> country, good people, .....

Yeah, yeah. %$*& $#* and &^%@ the &%##@*^! *$%@# you rode in
on. ;-) But at least here in Minnesota we have... ummm...

In article <[email protected]>,
Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Marco del Pollo" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> I don't suppose then that you want to hear about last
>> Sat's Solvang Century? Oh what the heck ... clear blue
>> skies, temp in the 70's, beautiful central coast wine
>> country, good people, .....
>
>Yeah, yeah. %$*& $#* and &^%@ the &%##@*^! *$%@# you
>rode in on. ;-) But at least here in Minnesota we
>have... ummm...

... tans that would make the Pillsbury Dough Boy proud!

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:59:19 -0600, "Robert Canon"
>
>>I think hippy was talking about the seat stays, not the
>>chain stays/track ends:
>>
>>http://128.83.80.200/bike/tifixie2.jpg
>
>I stand corrected - that is weird. I guess if you like
>Escher to design your bike...
>
>If Escher designs your race course, where do you put the
>start-finish?

At the finish-start.

--
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com