fixed gear conversion part question

Jeff

Guest
I'm looking for a name for a part - ...and possibly a place to find one.

....just converted a traditional road frame to a fixed gear and pulled off
the front and rear derailleur cable attachment/adjustment things (I have no
idea what these things are called) from the frame and I now have the two
small square studs that are welded to the frame sticking out where the
attachement/adjustment things were bolted to.

The question is whether there is a decent way to cover these studs with
something that might provide a nice finished detail to the bike. I'm sure
I've seen some type of cover at some point, but I don't know what they might
be called or where I might find a pair.

....any ideas?

Jeff

Jeff wrote:
> I'm looking for a name for a part - ...and possibly a place to find one.
>
> ...just converted a traditional road frame to a fixed gear and pulled off
> the front and rear derailleur cable attachment/adjustment things (I have no
> idea what these things are called) from the frame and I now have the two
> small square studs that are welded to the frame sticking out where the
> attachement/adjustment things were bolted to.

Cable adjuster bosses.

> The question is whether there is a decent way to cover these studs with
> something that might provide a nice finished detail to the bike. I'm sure
> I've seen some type of cover at some point, but I don't know what they might
> be called or where I might find a pair.

I don't know of any - if the bike is going to stay a fixie, I'd have
them removed next respray, assuming it's a metal frame.

On Jan 21, 5:18 pm, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking for a name for a part - ...and possibly a place to find one.
>
> ...just converted a traditional road frame to a fixed gear and pulled off
> the front and rear derailleur cable attachment/adjustment things (I have no
> idea what these things are called) from the frame and I now have the two
> small square studs that are welded to the frame sticking out where the
> attachement/adjustment things were bolted to.
>
> The question is whether there is a decent way to cover these studs with
> something that might provide a nice finished detail to the bike. I'm sure
> I've seen some type of cover at some point, but I don't know what they might
> be called or where I might find a pair.
>
> ...any ideas?
>
> Jeff

All you need is a saw, just hack them off and sand a little for a nice
clean look. I've done this to tons of old lugged steel frames, works
fine, also be sure to saw off the rear brake hanger from the seatstay.

On Jan 21, 7:18 pm, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking for a name for a part - ...and possibly a place to find one.
>
> ...just converted a traditional road frame to a fixed gear and pulled off
> the front and rear derailleur cable attachment/adjustment things (I have no
> idea what these things are called) from the frame and I now have the two
> small square studs that are welded to the frame sticking out where the
> attachement/adjustment things were bolted to.
>
> The question is whether there is a decent way to cover these studs with
> something that might provide a nice finished detail to the bike. I'm sure
> I've seen some type of cover at some point, but I don't know what they might
> be called or where I might find a pair.
>
> ...any ideas?
>
> Jeff

I left some screws in mine as voodoo against some kind of horrible,
flaming multibike pileup where the threads would be damaged, in case I
ever wanted to use adjusters or DT levers on that bike again.

I don't know of any Kool Kovers either (ring Marketing, please!) but a
"real" hardware store should have some kind of stainless part with an
appropriate head on it you can lube the heck out of and stick in
there. Then, no respray needed and no danger of nicking the downtube
during removal. Or remorse, when the fixed gear fad passes this time.

Hey, I rode my first one in 1980. Never saw another during certain
times in the years since. I like fixed and it's been a great bulge.
Specialized making two different fixers? Back in my day, you had to do
your own... --D-y

Jeff wrote:
> I'm looking for a name for a part - ...and possibly a place to find one.
>
> ...just converted a traditional road frame to a fixed gear and pulled off
> the front and rear derailleur cable attachment/adjustment things (I have no
> idea what these things are called) from the frame and I now have the two
> small square studs that are welded to the frame sticking out where the
> attachement/adjustment things were bolted to.
>
> The question is whether there is a decent way to cover these studs with
> something that might provide a nice finished detail to the bike. I'm sure
> I've seen some type of cover at some point, but I don't know what they might
> be called or where I might find a pair.

Something like this?
http://www.arizonatools.com/detail/NIC04995
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Something like this?
> http://www.arizonatools.com/detail/NIC04995
> --
> Andrew Muzi

That might cover it if they sell one with the correct size hole for the
existing bolt on the frame and if they have a carbon fiber version.

I guess I'm concerned that someday I'll want to convert the frame back since
it is a nice one. ...but those old-style frame bosses are now outdated, so I
guess that if I ever convert the thing back, I should just get someone to
weld on the newer style cable adjuster things.

Jeff wrote:

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Something like this?
>> http://www.arizonatools.com/detail/NIC04995
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi

> That might cover it if they sell one with the correct size hole for the
> existing bolt on the frame and if they have a carbon fiber version.
>
> I guess I'm concerned that someday I'll want to convert the frame back
> since it is a nice one. ...but those old-style frame bosses are now
> outdated, so I guess that if I ever convert the thing back, I should
> just get someone to weld on the newer style cable adjuster things.

No just leave them on. They make cable stops that screw into DT shifter
bosses for just that purpose.

\\paul

Use one for a bell, bolt a church key on the other.

Scott G.
Bobeye for the fixee guy.

"Scott G." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Use one for a bell, bolt a church key on the other.
>
> Scott G.

I've already mounted the bell on the handlebars, just below the license
plate.