Frame strength/flexibility

Andy Jennings

Nov 3, 2016
I have a question about my bike. A twitter Blake MTB,

I am trying hard to raise my natural cadence from the low 80's, But every time I get above 85RPM, approx., I start to get bounced out of the saddle by the bike. It kinda feels like riding a kids bouncy castle or a space ball, if you remember those lol.

It doesn't feel like I am bouncing on the saddle but am being bounced by the saddle or frame.

I also get this when going over uneven, as opposed to bumpy, roads, where it's not necessary to get out of the saddle.

My question is that as a 265Lbs Clyde, is this an indication that the frame is either not strong enough OR too flexible?

I would really hate to have a frame failure or something later on down the track and would consider buying a new bike until I am at a weight more suitable for this bike.

Your problem is more likely related to (lack of) pedalling technique than to any properties of the bike.
As you begin to pick the cadence up, it becomes more and more important to really get that upward-bound leg out of the way properly, or you'll basically push yourself out of the saddle.
Pedals with a foot-retention system is a good place to start.
Once you have that, you can practice one-legged riding, which is a good way to teach your legs how to move.
Then, once you've gotten that pattern of motion down pat, you can (probably) go back to flatties - if you insist - and hit decent cadences w/o bouncing.

Reactions: Andy Jennings
Your problem is more likely related to (lack of) pedalling technique than to any properties of the bike.
As you begin to pick the cadence up, it becomes more and more important to really get that upward-bound leg out of the way properly, or you'll basically push yourself out of the saddle.
Pedals with a foot-retention system is a good place to start.
Once you have that, you can practice one-legged riding, which is a good way to teach your legs how to move.
Then, once you've gotten that pattern of motion down pat, you can (probably) go back to flatties - if you insist - and hit decent cadences w/o bouncing.
Thanks again Dabac for the advice.

Previously (15 years ago) I always wore cleats and I love them. Unfortunately getting shoes my size here is yet another problem with the smaller population in general. Not having worn them for so long I really want to make sure they fit my foot before I buy so I am searching feverishly throughout Thailand to find my size. Online purchase and import will be a last resort for that reason.

Going to scour the LBS in Bangkok at the end of the month though as that is the best bet to get something if no joy there its going to be online buying.

Appreciate all your help.

Cadence is a red herring. It's useful if you're riding crits or very fast flat road races but for the 'less that Cat1 rider' you don't need to pedal that fast.

I wouldn't worry too much about pedaling faster. If you go faster and farther at 80rpm in a bigger gear, do that. There will be a point where, as you get fitter, you will naturally pedal faster. I wouldn't go out of my way to spend too much time and effort on just pedaling faster just for the sake of it.

Even on top form, guys like multi world champ Tony Martin smash a massive gear in time trials at sub 90 rpm during the first half of the season. When it come to Tour de France time, he's got the fitness to do the 90ish rpm that we all seem to want to attain but before that he's "languishing" in the 80ish rpm range in a bigger gear. Oh woe is Tony - only doing 32mph at 80 something rpm, he can't be a real cyclist pedaling "so slow" ;)

Reactions: Andy Jennings
I wouldn't worry too much about pedaling faster. If you go faster and farther at 80rpm in a bigger gear, do that. There will be a point where, as you get fitter, you will naturally pedal faster. I wouldn't go out of my way to spend too much time and effort on just pedaling faster just for the sake of it.
I have to agree with this assessment, but admit I will be trying to get my cadence a bit higher. BUT first I need to get a consistent technique sorted. lol. That in itself is going to take a bit of time anyway, as I haven't unweighted a pedal for more than 15 years and everything seems to have changed now from what I vaguely remember. lol

Thanks Swampy.

Hey there! I totally get your point about trying to improve your cadence. Technique can be a challenge, right?