Full suspension bike for $1600 or less

MattB wrote:
> Slack wrote:
> <snip>
>> Don't know about the GF, but Special Eds are made overseas.

> The S-Works are made domestically, or they were last time I bought
> one. Too bad about the others. I've seen pretty good quality from
> Specialized (non S-Works too) in the past.

And we've seen **** quality, too. It seems to be that Specialized's Sirrus
Sport Disc forks that are made in China have disc brake tabs that are merely
tacked into place. It seems that every single new one that comes in the
shop looks like you could blow on it and it would break.

Fortunately, there haven't been any recalls or any reports of our customers
eating it because their front brake mount failed.

If you have the chance to look at this specific fork in your local shop,
please do and you'll see what I mean.

On the other hand, almost all of the other Specialized bikes we carry appear
to be made very well. No spontaneous frame breakages on bikes within the
last 7 model years. The nice thing about it is that Specialized actually
still carries swingarms and parts for frames from the late 90's!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "czb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > but at least agree that 1500 can still buy a lotta bike if you buy
>> > smart
>> >

>> I agree. For example, this ain't a bad deal if you're a clydesdale.
>>

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7180490408&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
>>

> Sounds like it is stolen since he doesn't seem to know what he's talking
> about.
>
> Greg

I thought the same thing, so I corresponded with the seller, got extra
pictures, etc., seller seemed eager to provide info, but was so ignorant she
couldn't draw any bids. I would have bought it if she could have sent me
one simple measurement to prove it was L, and not XL. Said she was selling
it for somebody else, of course.

CDB

> cc wrote:
>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > True, save and go boutique (just for you, Rimmer).

>> > You disagree because you don't know what you arte talking about. The
>> > OP stated "good, reliable, durable" as key points. That's not possible
>> > for around $1500.

>> That is your opinion. I have many data points to the contrary of that
>> opinion. You should stop being an asshole and realize there are others
>> besides you with valid things to say.

> Save your "data points" for brown nosing your boss because they have no
> place in the real world of bicycling. Your name calling certainly
> makes your "data points" much more valid. Now go ride your bike.

"data" is useful for formulating arguments based on "logic" rather than
bullheaded arrogance. You should try it sometime.

cc wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > cc wrote:
> >> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> That is your opinion. I have many data points to the contrary of that
> >> opinion. You should stop being an asshole and realize there are others
> >> besides you with valid things to say.

> > Save your "data points" for brown nosing your boss because they have no
> > place in the real world of bicycling. Your name calling certainly
> > makes your "data points" much more valid. Now go ride your bike.
> >

> "data" is useful for formulating arguments based on "logic" rather than
> bullheaded arrogance. You should try it sometime.

What may seem logical to you, certainly seems illogical to me. My
opinions are based on experience in mountainbiking, not some fabricated
"data" made up from corporate buzzword BS.

JD

> cc wrote:
>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Save your "data points" for brown nosing your boss because they have no
>> > place in the real world of bicycling. Your name calling certainly
>> > makes your "data points" much more valid. Now go ride your bike.
>> >

>> "data" is useful for formulating arguments based on "logic" rather than
>> bullheaded arrogance. You should try it sometime.

> What may seem logical to you, certainly seems illogical to me. My
> opinions are based on experience in mountainbiking, not some fabricated
> "data" made up from corporate buzzword BS.

You're right. I should stop reading biking magazines and regurgitating the
hype here. What was I thinking?

Again, JD, there are others out there who - while not as "hardcore" as you
think you are - have biking experience and friends with like experiences.

The point you seem to miss is that you thinking it is illogical does not
make it incorrect. Respecting others' opinions is a sign of maturity that
you direly lack.

cc wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > cc wrote:
> >> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> "data" is useful for formulating arguments based on "logic" rather than
> >> bullheaded arrogance. You should try it sometime.

> > What may seem logical to you, certainly seems illogical to me. My
> > opinions are based on experience in mountainbiking, not some fabricated
> > "data" made up from corporate buzzword BS.
> >

> You're right. I should stop reading biking magazines and regurgitating the
> hype here. What was I thinking?

Stop reading the big bike propaganda while you're at it.

> Again, JD, there are others out there who - while not as "hardcore" as you
> think you are - have biking experience and friends with like experiences.

That's the kicker here, pal. Nobody here knows you and several here do
know me and have ridden with me. You have zero credibility.

> The point you seem to miss is that you thinking it is illogical does not
> make it incorrect. Respecting others' opinions is a sign of maturity that
> you direly lack.

I don't respect regurgitated propaganda in any realm. You should have
ended your post with more name calling. It would have lent much more
to your idea of "maturity".

JD

> cc wrote:
>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > What may seem logical to you, certainly seems illogical to me. My
>> > opinions are based on experience in mountainbiking, not some fabricated
>> > "data" made up from corporate buzzword BS.
>> >

>> You're right. I should stop reading biking magazines and regurgitating
>> the
>> hype here. What was I thinking?

> Stop reading the big bike propaganda while you're at it.
>
>> Again, JD, there are others out there who - while not as "hardcore" as
>> you
>> think you are - have biking experience and friends with like experiences.

> That's the kicker here, pal. Nobody here knows you and several here do
> know me and have ridden with me. You have zero credibility.
>
>> The point you seem to miss is that you thinking it is illogical does not
>> make it incorrect. Respecting others' opinions is a sign of maturity that
>> you direly lack.

> I don't respect regurgitated propaganda in any realm. You should have
> ended your post with more name calling. It would have lent much more
> to your idea of "maturity".

Blah.

Blah.

Blah.

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> czb wrote:
> > a rider with a worry about spending $1500 and
> > not sure of what to buy is an inexperienced rider

> A rider looking to spend $1500 is somebody who is ready to become an
> experienced rider. Or an asshole. The asshole won't take good advice
> anyway.

I dunno. Before I ever set a wheel on dirt, I asked my brother what it
would take. He asked how much I was willing to spend, and what my
goals were. I told him, and he told me *something* along the lines of
what has been dished out here by JD (a little less extreeeem, tho.)
After the dust had settled, I got ahold of a year-old Marin Mt. Vision
frame, a 100mm Z-3 coil fork, a useable pre-built wheelset that he
trued and tensioned, and some used parts out of his parts box. All
told, I spent about $600 out-of-pocket, and if I'd have purchased the
parts new that he gave me for free, I'd have spent about double that.

Not boutique, but not a bad bike either. Durable, with a mix of XT and
LX, Avid disks - sort of a Frankenbike all around. It might be a
little heavy, but it does a decent job of FS MTBing.

I don't think I'm an asshole, nor am I all that experienced, but I know
better than to buy some $300 FS bike from Costco, and that if you want
quality, you have to pay for it. That goes for just about anything you
buy.

E.P.

[email protected] wrote:
> I got ahold of a year-old Marin Mt. Vision
> frame, a 100mm Z-3 coil fork, a useable pre-built wheelset that he
> trued and tensioned, and some used parts out of his parts box. All
> told, I spent about $600 out-of-pocket, and if I'd have purchased the
> parts new that he gave me for free, I'd have spent about double that.
>
> Not boutique, but not a bad bike either.

Let's see. I'm not sure what year your frame is, but a 2003 Marin Mt.
Vision purchased new was around a $2300 bike:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2003_full_suspension/product_121290.shtml

I think even the most ideological rant on this topic usually includes
the words "...or go used". Sounds like you got a great deal.

I think the issue here is the hype-driven silliness of deciding "I want
a full suspension" for no particular reason other than they look kewl,
then trying to cheap out on the bike and getting a piece of ****, when
the same amount of money could have bought a superb hardtail. I went
through a similar process a few years ago, initially thinking a full
suspension would be a good idea. Once I'd done my research, I ended up
with a hardtail. I still ride it. If I had $5K to spend on a
replacement, I would probably go with a custom hardtail, but that's
just me.

CC

> cc wrote:
> > "small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > there isn't one. You should either look at a really nice hard tail,

go
> > > used, or up your budget.

> True, save and go boutique (just for you, Rimmer).

LMFAO! Thanks Jock - I knew you cared ',;~}~

> > I disagree. SJs are good bikes in that price range.

> You disagree because you don't know what you arte talking about. The
> OP stated "good, reliable, durable" as key points. That's not possible
> for around $1500.

Oh.

Shaun aRe

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I got ahold of a year-old Marin Mt. Vision
> > frame, a 100mm Z-3 coil fork, a useable pre-built wheelset that he
> > trued and tensioned, and some used parts out of his parts box. All
> > told, I spent about $600 out-of-pocket, and if I'd have purchased the
> > parts new that he gave me for free, I'd have spent about double that.
> >
> > Not boutique, but not a bad bike either.

> Let's see. I'm not sure what year your frame is, but a 2003 Marin Mt.
> Vision purchased new was around a $2300 bike:

You are correct - it's a 2003.

> I think even the most ideological rant on this topic usually includes
> the words "...or go used". Sounds like you got a great deal.

I think I did. It had a small amount of dirt on it, and no marks
anywhere - almost like it was never actually ridden anywhere remotely
up to the frame's capabilities. $330.

The fork was leaking oil - $50 for the fork, and the seals were a spare
pair my brother had in his parts box.

The rest of my out-of-pocket was for a wheelset and tires.

> I think the issue here is the hype-driven silliness of deciding "I want
> a full suspension" for no particular reason other than they look kewl,
> then trying to cheap out on the bike and getting a piece of ****, when
> the same amount of money could have bought a superb hardtail. I went
> through a similar process a few years ago, initially thinking a full
> suspension would be a good idea. Once I'd done my research, I ended up
> with a hardtail. I still ride it. If I had $5K to spend on a
> replacement, I would probably go with a custom hardtail, but that's
> just me.

I rode my brother's rigid MTB for a while, and then his hardtail. At
40 years old, "kewl" had nothing to do with my desire for suspension,
let me tell you! :)

I loved the way I could throw around his Ti hardtail, but I knew where
I was headed.

You can get a decent, non-boutique FS bike if you're willing to do the
legwork involved. Saying it's not possible is just plain untrue.

Ooops, I guess that makes me an asshole now, huh? :)

E.P.

< JDwrote:
That's the kicker here, pal. Nobody here knows you and several here do
know me and have ridden with me. You have zero credibility.>

Who are you? ;-P

< You should have ended your post with more name calling. It would have lent much more to your idea of "maturity".>

you.... you.... FREAK!!!

I would have to say if you have to buy F/S buy used... Ebay works well if you are careful.
I have sold and currently am seling and it sucks to have to sell low... I keep telling myself at least someone is using it...

Personally I would reccomend getting a hardtail...
Just ends up being a better equipped, lighter bike...

LOL... although I did get called retro on a ride a while back for riding my hardtail :p

Jimbo (san) wrote:
> LOL... although I did get called retro on a ride a while back for
> riding my hardtail

The person who called you that must have been riding some kind of
hypecycle.

JD