Full suspension bike for $1600 or less

I think the economic trends in this country will drown out those shops,
most specialty item businesses will probably shift storefronts from
local service to website-based national service to stay in business.
Too many mega-companies can deliver the bread and butter stuff for much
cheaper on a world-wide scale.

deburring takes like what, 2 minutes per frame? my experince with
welding shops comes from visiting the dragster and funnycar
manufacturers in CA. That dude could weld fast with all the jigs he
had, he build half a dragster in the 3 hours we were there. Which
brings up another question i had. Race cars NEVER paint the cromoly
tubing. What would be wrong with not painting a bicycle? Chroming it
would Look kick ass but make it weigh as much as steel probably.

BTW I was at the LBS today getting new pedals for my BSO, and was
looking @ the welds on some of the Gary Fischer and Specialized bikes
that were CHICKEN SCAT. It was obvious there was poor penetration and
gaps. I think the LBS owner should have sent them back not put them up
for display. Some of the bikes of the same make and design next to
them had flawless welds however.

I find it hilarious that even at this price level you guys refer to the
bikes as MEDIOCRE.

are these good bikes or are they BSOs? They seem novel and
interesting. There is a sport model available as well for like 1100

http://www.cyclesourcegroup.com/rubiconawd.html

I prefer BST for bicycle shaped TOY, although even the $3000 treks are
still toys.

x1134x wrote:

> deburring takes like what, 2 minutes per frame? my experince with
> welding shops comes from visiting the dragster and funnycar
> manufacturers in CA. That dude could weld fast with all the jigs he
> had, he build half a dragster in the 3 hours we were there.

Quick and dirty steel welding is a whole different thing than thin
walled AL tube welding. Ti welding even more involved.

> Which brings up another question i had. Race cars NEVER paint the cromoly
> tubing. What would be wrong with not painting a bicycle? Chroming it
> would Look kick ass but make it weigh as much as steel probably.

Again, we have cheap chrome, expensive good chrome and hard chrome,
which we use in Aerospace. Cheap chrome serves no other purpose but for
decoration. Chrome is so frig'n hard it's tendency is to crack, not a
good finish for a Mtb bike. Hard chrome is an art form in itself, and
expensive. Every engineering choice has it's own drawbacks. It takes a
wise designer that has been around the block to put everything together
tailored for it's intended use/customers, at a marketable selling point.
Not an easy job.

> BTW I was at the LBS today getting new pedals for my BSO, and was
> looking @ the welds on some of the Gary Fischer and Specialized bikes
> that were CHICKEN SCAT. It was obvious there was poor penetration and
> gaps. I think the LBS owner should have sent them back not put them up
> for display. Some of the bikes of the same make and design next to
> them had flawless welds however.

Don't know about the GF, but Special Eds are made overseas.
--
Slack

news:[email protected]...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...ewItemQQcategoryZ50053QQitemZ4573231689QQrdZ1

> Good, reliable, durable, dual suspension.

How much is that new? Hell, the auction ain't even over yet, report back
then.

Greg

Slack wrote:
<snip>
> Don't know about the GF, but Special Eds are made overseas.

The S-Works are made domestically, or they were last time I bought one.
Too bad about the others. I've seen pretty good quality from Specialized
(non S-Works too) in the past.

Matt

MattB wrote:
> Slack wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>Don't know about the GF, but Special Eds are made overseas.

> The S-Works are made domestically, or they were last time I bought one.
> Too bad about the others. I've seen pretty good quality from Specialized
> (non S-Works too) in the past.
>
> Matt

Ah, didn't know that... thanks for the correction.

I've always liked Specialized bikes. I think they make some nice stuff
and at a great price. But I haven't been following their product line
very close the past couple of years.
--
Slack

lol! Took google hours to add this post so I added it again.

you can search completed ads if you have an ebay account. YZF 250s
sell for around 2400. but you can hope to win this one because he has
already met his reserve. .. . .

>Quick and dirty steel welding is a whole different thing than thin
>walled AL tube welding. Ti welding even more involved.

not an attempt to troll but:
These cars are not "Quick and dirty steel welding" they go 320+ MPH
two inches off the ground with a human inside them. The chassis welds
must be inspected to be allowed to race and must be reinspected each
year. A chassis -- which usually has a wheelbase of between 285 and 300
inches -- is fabricated from 300 feet of 4130 chromoly tubing and costs
between $30,000 and $40,000. The chassis alone weighs approximately 600
pounds.

>Quick and dirty steel welding is a whole different thing than thin
>walled AL tube welding. Ti welding even more involved.

not an attempt to troll but:
These cars are not "Quick and dirty steel welding" they go 320+ MPH
two inches off the ground with a human inside them. The chassis welds
must be inspected to be allowed to race and must be reinspected each
year. A chassis -- which usually has a wheelbase of between 285 and 300
inches -- is fabricated from 300 feet of 4130 chromoly tubing and costs
between $30,000 and $40,000. The chassis alone weighs approximately 600
pounds.

21. x1134x Sep 10, 12:50 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
From: "x1134x" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: 9 Sep 2005 23:50:15 -0700
Subject: Re: Full suspension bike for $1600 or less
original | Remove | Report Abuse

>Quick and dirty steel welding is a whole different thing than thin
>walled AL tube welding. Ti welding even more involved.

not an attempt to troll but:
These cars are not "Quick and dirty steel welding" they go 320+ MPH
two inches off the ground with a human inside them. The chassis welds
must be inspected to be allowed to race and must be reinspected each
year. A chassis -- which usually has a wheelbase of between 285 and 300

inches -- is fabricated from 300 feet of 4130 chromoly tubing and costs

between $30,000 and $40,000. The chassis alone weighs approximately 600

pounds.

i think either google sux or i have a spyware program that interferes
with google, cuz I swear I clicked reply under this message not at the
bottom. . . .

x1134x wrote:
>>Quick and dirty steel welding is a whole different thing than thin
>>walled AL tube welding. Ti welding even more involved.

> not an attempt to troll but:
> These cars are not "Quick and dirty steel welding" they go 320+ MPH
> two inches off the ground with a human inside them. The chassis welds
> must be inspected to be allowed to race and must be reinspected each
> year. A chassis -- which usually has a wheelbase of between 285 and 300
> inches -- is fabricated from 300 feet of 4130 chromoly tubing and costs
> between $30,000 and $40,000. The chassis alone weighs approximately 600
> pounds.

You're making a bad assumption: Quick & dirty does not mean ineffective
or poor quality.

Different materials require different techniques... Some are easier than
other to work with:
http://www.aws.org/wj/supplement/04-2002-QUINN-s.pdf

cc wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > cc wrote:
> >> "small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> > True, save and go boutique (just for you, Rimmer).
> >
> >> I disagree. SJs are good bikes in that price range.

> > You disagree because you don't know what you arte talking about. The
> > OP stated "good, reliable, durable" as key points. That's not possible
> > for around $1500.

> That is your opinion. I have many data points to the contrary of that
> opinion. You should stop being an asshole and realize there are others
> besides you with valid things to say.

Save your "data points" for brown nosing your boss because they have no
place in the real world of bicycling. Your name calling certainly
makes your "data points" much more valid. Now go ride your bike.

JD