Garmin acquires MetriGear

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/09/interbike/garmin-acquires-metrigear-creator-of-pedal-based-power-measurement-device_142041

By VeloNews.com • Updated: Sep 21st 2010 5:56 PM EDT
There’s another player in the power-measurement game — Garmin Ltd., which announced today that it has acquired MetriGear Inc., creator of a pedal-based power solution for cyclists.
“Power is becoming the must-have information for cyclists who want to improve their performance,” said Cliff Pemble, Garmin’s president and COO. “Adding MetriGear’s talents and technologies to the Garmin family is a natural fit as we share a passion for fitness and are dedicated to making advanced technology affordable and easy to use.”
MetriGear, a Silicon Valley-based company, drew Lennard Zinn’s eye at last year’s Interbike trade show after its introduction of Vector, a pedal-based power solution that integrates MetriGear’s custom force and motion sensor platform into pedal spindles to measure a cyclist’s performance.

Vector is said to be easy to move between bikes, accurately measures power and enables the independent measurement of pedal force for each leg.
“From the start, our vision has been to deliver an easy-to-own cycling power meter with unique capabilities,” said Clark Foy, CEO of MetriGear. “Garmin’s world-class engineering, wireless, manufacturing expertise and their ability to deliver an end-to-end solution from sensors to displays will be instrumental in realizing this vision. We can’t imagine a more capable partner to bring Vector to market, and we are absolutely thrilled to join the Garmin team.”

Vector communicates via ANT+ wireless protocol to compatible head units, like the new touch-screen Garmin Edge 800, which will be on display this week at Interbike.

Availability and pricing details for Vector have yet to be announced.

Wow!! Thanks for the update.
To me that is good news because I have had really good customer service from Garmin for a number of years.
Based on what I have experienced I bet they will do a good job getting it to market and setting a competitive price.