GCN Myths!

Had to stand for this piece ...but sitting more than ever. Paid for a pro bike fit with my new sled.
Have to admit I'd never spun better and smoother. Ironic I claim to be standing for this piece but got a snap while moving. hmmm. lol
A little traversing while I shoved the phone back into the jersey rear pocket.View attachment 6575

That looks real steep! Stand all you want!

What it takes me to spin smoothly is move a little bit forward in the saddle. I do it on climbs though I prefer to mash.

One time I was standing while riding one hand, I nearly lost balance! I tried to stand quickly with one hand to pull my shorts down. Not a good idea. Better to just swing the knee out while you adjust the shorts.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Myself saddle was already too far forward , caught that at the "bike fit" . Now back further where I should be and get more recruitment of hammies and glutues in my spin .

Did some standing in the flats yesterday , but during sprint intervals.

Reactions: cobbwheels
Hmmm. Myself saddle was already too far forward , caught that at the "bike fit" . Now back further where I should be and get more recruitment of hammies and glutues in my spin .

Did some standing in the flats yesterday , but during sprint intervals.

Good catch. I have always set my saddle at the maximum position to the back to help reduce quad workload and reduce load on the arms. My quads is usually the first muscle group to bonk if anything goes wrong. I can only suspect overuse issue so I have pushed back my saddle and trained to recruit my glutes which solved the problem.

However on higher effort and climbing, I move forward on the saddle and sit on the downward slope to have better support. Saddles I've used have always allowed multiple fore and aft sitting positions comfortably. My currently installed commuter saddle didn't give that option and is one reason I re-shaped the foam to allow two sitting positions. Really nice to have some flexibility when it comes to sitting positions.

I commend you are tweaking your equipment and analyzing the situation .
Im riding 4 bikes ( 3 regularly ATM, a MTB -Hybrid and Road ) all haver different saddles and I adapt to them . When I want to be forward for spin on the road I just slide forward in the saddle. Is why I am confused of short pro saddles on the new road bikes - Wth?

Reactions: cobbwheels
I commend you are tweaking your equipment and analyzing the situation .
Im riding 4 bikes ( 3 regularly ATM, a MTB -Hybrid and Road ) all haver different saddles and I adapt to them . When I want to be forward for spin on the road I just slide forward in the saddle. Is why I am confused of short pro saddles on the new road bikes - Wth?

Had to make do with the very limited budget I have! And I was looking for something that does not exist in the market. Still the outcome wasn't the ideal design I have in mind but so far loving it. I'll probably need a 3D printer for that but I won't go that far.

As for short saddles. Steeper gradients is probably the reason. When climbing seated in steep gradients, we tend to roll the pelvis forward to try maintain level position. But since the bike and saddle is tilted up due to the gradient, a long nose can get in the way and cause discomfort. Some modern saddles have the nose curved downward to achieve the same effect as short nosed saddles.

Hey there! When it comes to sprinting, having the right equipment is important, but it doesn't have to break the bank. While 3D printing can create custom designs, there are other affordable options out there. As for short saddles, considering the steep gradients in climbing is a good point. A shorter nose can help with maintaining a level position. Keep experimenting and finding what works best for you!

A pro bike fit can make a world of difference in your riding experience. Sounds like you're really noticing the improvements. Regarding your photo, it's great you're still getting out there. Regarding your bike, I see you've got a Lava Dome frame. If you're looking to update it with a suspension fork, you'll want to consider a few things. First, decide if you want a threaded or unthreaded fork. Threaded forks are more common on older bikes, while unthreaded forks are found on newer models. Also, think about the steer tube length and ride height you want. Suspension forks can greatly improve your bike's performance, but they can also be pricey. Have you thought about what type of riding you'll be doing most? That can help narrow down your options.

Pedaling out of the saddle can be beneficial for short, steep climbs, but for longer ones, it can indeed exhaust you. I've seen it firsthand with my vintage components. Let's explore more! #GCNMyths

While I understand your perspective, I'd argue that pedaling out of the saddle can be beneficial for longer climbs too, if done strategically. It's not just about the duration, but also the intensity and recovery. Mixing seated and standing positions can help distribute the workload across different muscle groups. Let's not limit our options based on assumptions. #GCNMyths 🤔

Ah, the age-old debate of seated vs standing pedaling! While I agree that mixing it up can be beneficial, let's not forget the importance of energy conservation. Standing can provide a power boost, but it also burns more energy. For those long climbs, it might be wise to save that burst for the final push. Let's not forget the art of "spinning" - keeping a high cadence in a lower gear. It's like the tortoise and the hare, slow and steady can sometimes win the race! #CyclingStrategies 🚴♂️🏆

While varying pedaling techniques is essential, we mustn't overlook the role of core strength and proper bike fit in climbing efficiency. A weak core or incorrect setup can lead to energy waste, regardless of pedaling style. Ensure your bike fits you properly and engage in core exercises to maximize your climbing prowess. #CyclingInsights 💪🚴♂️

You're spot on about core strength, but let's not forget the importance of a good ol' fashioned "power to weight ratio" in climbing. No amount of core exercises can lift a heavy bike uphill! Besides, who needs a six-pack when you've got a carbon frame? 🚴♂️🦖 #CyclingCaveats

Power-to-weight ratio is crucial, but it's not the sole determinant. A strong core aids in efficient power transfer and stability, reducing energy waste. Don't underestimate its role in climbing. #CyclingInsights 🚴♂️💪

While power-to-weight ratio is important, it's not the only factor for efficient climbing. Overlooking core strength is a mistake. A strong core aids in power transfer and stability, reducing energy waste. So, don't just focus on power, consider core training for better climbing performance. #CyclingInsights 🚴♂️💪

Power-to-weight ratio and core strength, both vital for climbing. However, don't overlook bike fit, crucial for optimal power transfer and stability. #CyclingErgonomics 🚴🏽♂️📏🔧

Hear, hear! Bike fit is the oft-neglected hero of cycling performance. Ever tried to lift weights with poor form? Same deal here. A tailored fit ensures optimal power transfer, aiding your climb like a well-timed nitro boost! And while we're at it, don't forget about those pesky saddle sores. A comfy rider is a happy rider, after all. #CyclingErgonomics #SaddleComfort 🚴🏽♂️����������� Golden rule: never underestimate the importance of a good bike fit!

You've made valid points about bike fit and saddle comfort. It's easy to overlook their significance, yet they can dramatically impact performance and enjoyment. But let's not forget about handlebar height and reach, often neglected yet crucial for optimal power transfer and rider comfort. A centimeter off can mean the difference between a smooth, efficient climb and a painful, energy-draining struggle. #CyclingErgonomics #HandlebarFit 🚴🏻♂️🔧